Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias

Ink (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sabrina Vourvoulias, Bart R Leib (Editor)

Member:Hyper.Melida
Title:Ink
Authors:Sabrina Vourvoulias
Other authors:Bart R Leib (Editor)
Info:Crossed Genres Publications (2012), Paperback, 234 pages

Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias (2012)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
On the whole, I enjoyed Ink, though it was not without its difficulties. In an almost-too-believable future, various classes of persons are tattooed, or inked and this dictates the way they live and how they are treated by the wider society. As the novel progresses, inks suffer more and more indignities and marginalization of their very selves. Some of the characters were sufficiently engaging, and the story sufficiently interesting, to keep me reading until the end.

However, as to the difficulties mentioned above - the combination of politics and magical realism didn’t quite work for me. Sometimes I felt as though the author didn’t know where to really place the emphasis, and this left the book feeling somewhat disjointed. Actually, I think this book might have benefitted from being longer in order to allow some of the themes to be better developed.

Another small issue for me was that the book seemed to focus on just one main group of immigrants, ignoring the many other races that make up the country. Again, this is something that limited the scope of the story for me.

Overall, though, it was an interesting read and I would probably read other books by the author. This one would not get a re-read though.
  sangreal | Jan 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This political magical realist SF novel was hard-going at times, but ultimately had happy -- sometimes too happy -- resolutions. Ink is in the vein of Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here, but updated to focus on modern anti-immigrant hostility. Like Lewis' book, journalism provides the first focus of the story; but then Vourvoulias broadens the narrative frame to include women and people of color. Immigrants and children of immigrants have already been subject to legal requirements for tattooing, at the beginning of the book (hence "ink"); by the end of the story, they have also faced vigilante "border dumps", mass incarcerations, forced sterilizations, and ultimately mass deportations. Unfortunately Vourvoulias didn't have to extrapolate *very* far, and I can practically see the fingerprints of Arizona's various anti-immigrant propositions and Mitt Romney's "self-deportations" on this book.

Quibbles: A bit of tokenism with a very minor (almost missable) reference to a lesbian relationship, people of color who are not "inks". Getting back the stolen child, seemed a little unrealistic ... but as a parent it helped me get through the book. .... And, yes, there's death and uncertainty in relationships, but still a happy-ever-after with good sex vibe to the (heterosexual) relationships, that suggests fan fiction or romance novel.

However, those are minor quibbles, and my overall take is that I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes political SF. ( )
  lquilter | Sep 5, 2013 |
Emotionally poignant and eerily plausible given the current political climate. I particularly enjoyed the use of magic realism. Will definitely look for more of Vourvoulias' work in the future. ( )
  TLMorganfield | Sep 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ink was one of those books that required a lot of attention and was totally worth it. Brilliant author, somehow a book that really felt it shone as an ebook.
  omnia_mutantur | Feb 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The world of Ink isn't far away enough from reality to be just another dystopia...

While brown-skinned peoples are tattooed and targeted, stripped of their rights and their children, their ancestral spirits are literally working with and for them, even when the characters themselves are not aware of the power they wield.

The story feels disjointed at times, so the reader needs to stay hyper-aware. This magical realism does not flow uninterrupted, but the tale is timely and the characters beautiful enough to forgive the difficulties of narrative. ( )
  Hyper.Melida | Nov 3, 2012 |
In this way, the novel is an excellent example of dystopian science fiction and ably demonstrates the power of such fiction to alert us to the consequences of “if this goes on.” … The critiques I have are mainly about the novel’s scope: in desiring to tell its story both on a wide social canvas and over a considerable period of time, the novel ends up feeling like a sketch of future history rather than an embedded experience with these protagonists.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,473,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible