A Fresh Set of Eyes (David Lloyd…

A Fresh Set of Eyes (David Lloyd Investigations) (edition 2012)

by Liz Strange

Member:arlenadean
Title:A Fresh Set of Eyes (David Lloyd Investigations)
Authors:Liz Strange
Info:MLR Press (2012), Paperback, 296 pages
Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:gay romance, david lloyd investigagtions series

A Fresh Set of Eyes (David Lloyd Investigations #2) by Liz Strange

Author: Liz Strange
Published By: MLR Press, LLC
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"A Fresh Set of Eyes" by Liz Strange was a very interesting mystery read that I thoroughly enjoyed. This was a second in a series with Missing Daughter, Shattered Family being the first in this series. This novel was well written and had a good plot that this author set that really kept me intrigued till the end. Be ready for many twist and turns that will even make it even more a fascinating read. The characters were really off the chart good...especially David Lloyd who was a good investigator who had been fired by one of the boys mom to find who had murdered those two boys. David was taking a cold case and after ten years this cold case had been on the shelf...now he started to work above and beyond to prove the innocence of the boys (Nathan Klassen, Alex Snider and John Dean) that had been accused wrongly and imprisoned for murder. What was strange about this case was that many people believed that these three boys had not done the murder.

I really enjoyed how David took over this investigation and this mystery went at just the right pace to keep you up with just what was going on.. all making sense to me. Be ready for many details and finding a novel to be very well written with great dialog. Will there be a little romance between David and his roommate...well, this is where I will say you must pick up "A Fresh Set of Eyes' to find the answers to the what, why and how of this and many other questions. This was a good mystery...I did not find out until the very end.

If you are looking for a good mystery, you have come to the right place for "A Fresh Set of Eyes" is a excellent read that I would recommend to you. ( )
  arlenadean | Jan 14, 2013 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

I'm a Liz Strange fan and whether it be her paranormal romance, her other romances, her YA, or her Mystery, plain and simple...the woman can write!

A Fresh Set of Eyes was another great mystery by Liz.

Picking up where Missing Daughter, Shattered Family left off, but with a new case (inspired by a true story for those that didn't know), David takes on a cold case many years on the shelf and goes above and beyond to prove the innocence of the 2 boys who were wrongly accused.

The 'whodunit' had me completely surprised and I found that until the end, I had no idea who are true bad guy really was - a sign of a very well written mystery!

LITERAL ADDICTION gives A Fresh Set of Eyes 4 Skulls and would recommend the David Lloyd Investigations books. They have characters with heart that you, as a reader, will grow to care about, and the plot lines are intriguing and suspenseful.

I can't wait to see what happens next. With everything coming together nicely at the end of the book it opens things up for so much more. ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Sep 1, 2012 |
First Line: The man struggled with his bulky load, at one time stumbling down onto his knee, bringing about a surge of pain.

David Lloyd has barely recovered from the events in the first book in this series, Missing Daughter, Shattered Family, when a mother turns to him for help. She and others have been putting money into a fund to reopen the case that sent her son and another young man to prison. She thinks David is the right person to investigate the case.

He barely scratches the surface when he learns that there's a good reason why so many people think these two young men are innocent of the brutal murder of two young brothers. The police investigation was shoddy and the evidence non-existent, and it seems these two young men were put behind bars simply because they'd caused trouble as teenagers and someone had to pay for this crime.

Although he has plenty of other things on his plate (the tense situation with his partner's family and the ongoing rehabilitation of a young prostitute), the farther into the case David digs and the more people he interviews, he knows he's getting closer to righting a miscarriage of justice.

I found this book to be even stronger and more engrossing than the first book in the series. David Lloyd is an interesting character, and through him and his partner, Jamie, author Liz Strange has created a sensitive portrayal of a gay relationship. David has the love and support of his family, and his grandmother has taken the young ex-prostitute, Jenny, under her wing. David has created a family for the young girl-- something she very much needs. Jamie, on the other hand, does not have the support of his entire family, which does cause problems. The relationship between David and Jamie is important, but the main focus of this book is the investigation-- and is it ever a good one!

This is good old-fashioned P.I. work at its best. No matter how difficult, David tracks down all the people who were involved in the case ten years ago. He gets his hands on all the case files, and he gets help from professionals when he needs it. It is a case in which I'd separated all the right pieces, but I needed David's (and the author's) help to get the puzzle put together.

Would I read another David Lloyd investigation? In a heartbeat. These books have characters that you grow to care about, and the mysteries really make you think. Do you have to read the first book in the series before beginning A Fresh Set of Eyes? No, not at all, but you may find yourself wanting to go back to see how and why David got his start in the private eye business. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 25, 2012 |

A mother turns to David to help free her son and another young man from prison, where they have spent the last ten years for a double murder many feel they did not commit. The police investigation was spotty, the evidence non-existent, and yet someone had to pay for the vicious assault on two young brothers. Never one to shy away from a tough situation David agrees to look into the case, despite the tense situation with his partner’s family and the physical and emotional needs of the former-prostitute he’s taken under his wing.

With so many lives on the line, David must find a way to help them all without hurting the most important person - himself. [MLR Press]

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible