MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

MaddAddam

by Margaret Atwood

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (book 3)

2,1311193,070 (3.96)1 / 257

English (115)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (119)
Together with ORYX AND CRAKE and IN THE YEAR OF THE FLOOD, this novel comprises the author's MADDADDAM trilogy in which the civilized world (already crippled by global warming) is upended by incredibly irresponsible genetic engineering. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Apr 4, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this final instalment in Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy. I think she did a great job of tying this novel together with the previous two and explaining so much that needed to be explained.
Recommended to anyone who has read the previous two novels as this is not really a standalone book. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 10, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the entire Maddaddam trilogy. I found this to be a satisfying ending to the story, though I was sad about a lot of things that happened. I hope they turn this into a film, it would be amazing to see all of this in a movie. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
This is the final book in the Maddaddam trilogy. I found it interesting that a lot of the focus was on some of the backstories, giving more background to some of the characters and pulling everything together. In the present, not much is gained, other than that the Crakers and the survivors start to establish themselves more fully in the post-apocalypse world that they find themselves in. I read the books sporadically, with years in between each part (so I appreciated the summary at the beginning of this book!) but I still enjoyed all of the books.
  GretchenLynn | Jan 30, 2018 |
I was so happy with this as an ending (beginning?). The way Atwood manipulates point of view in this one is just so very enjoyable. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
Atwood's prose miraculously balances humor, outrage and beauty. ... It's a pleasure to read a futuristic novel whose celebration of beauty extends to the words themselves. And words are very important here; by the moving end of "Madd­Addam," we understand how language and writing produced the beautiful fiction that described our ­beginnings.

MaddAddam is slightly crazed, usually intriguing and often great fun. I would have enjoyed it even more, however, were it not for the nagging voice that said: instead of this, we might have had another Alias Grace, or another The Blind Assassin.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Theo Tait (Aug 28, 2013)

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hansen, Lotte KirkebyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
and for Larry Gaynor (1939-2010)
The Story of the Egg, and of Oryx and Crake, and how they made People and Animals; and of the Chaos; and of Snowman-the-Jimmy; and of the Smelly Bone and the coming of the Two Bad Men
But hatred and viciousness are addictive. You can get high on them. Once you've had a little, you start shaking if you don't get more.
They're preternaturally beautiful, thinks Toby. Unlike us. We must seem subhuman to them, with our flapping extra skins, our aging faces, our warped bodies, too thin, too fat, too hairy, too knobbly. Perfection exacts a price, but it's the imperfect who pay it.
There's the story, then there's the real story, then there's the story of how the story came to be told. Then there's what you leave out of the story. Which is part of the story too.
People need such stories, Pilar said once, because however dark, a darkness with voices in it is better than a silent void.
Why is it always such a surprise? thinks Toby. The moon. Even though we know it's coming. Every time we see it, it makes us pause, and hush.

Months after the Waterless Flood pandemic has wiped out most of humanity, Toby and Ren have rescued their friend Amanda from the vicious Painballers. They return to the MaddAddamite cob house, which is being fortified against man and giant Pigoon alike. Accompanying them are the Crakers, the gentle, quasi-human species engineered by the brilliant but deceased Crake. While their reluctant prophet, Jimmy -- Crake's one-time friend -- recovers from a debilitating fever, it's left to Toby to narrate the Craker theology, with Crake as Creator. She must also deal with cultural misunderstandings, terrible coffee, and her jealousy over her lover, Zeb.
At the centre, is the extraordinary story of Zeb's past, which involves a lost brother, a hidden murder, a bear, and a bizarre act of revenge.
Combining adventure, humour, romance, superb storytelling, and an imagination that is at once dazzlingly inventive and grounded in a recognizable world, MaddAddam is vintage Margaret Atwood, and a moving and dramatic conclusion to her internationally celebrated dystopian trilogy.

"Bringing together characters from Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood, this thrilling conclusion to Margaret Atwood's speculative fiction trilogy confirms the ultimate endurance of humanity, community, and love. Months after the Waterless Flood pandemic has wiped out most of humanity, Toby and Ren have rescued their friend Amanda from the vicious Painballers. They return to the MaddAddamite cob house, which is being fortified against man and giant Pigoon alike. Accompanying them are the Crakers, the gentle, quasihuman species engineered by the brilliant but deceased Crake. While their reluctant prophet, Jimmy--Crake's one-time friend--recovers from a debilitating fever, it's left to Toby to narrate the Craker theology, with Crake as Creator. She must also deal with cultural misunderstandings, terrible coffee, and her jealousy over her lover, Zeb. Meanwhile, Zeb searches for Adam One, founder of the God's Gardeners, the pacifist green religion from which Zeb broke years ago to lead the MaddAddamites in active resistance against the destructive CorpSeCorps. Now, under threat of an imminent Painballer attack, the MaddAddamites must fight back with the aid of their newfound allies, some of whom have four trotters. At the center is the extraordinary story of Zeb's past, which involves a lost brother, a hidden murder, a bear, and a bizarre act of revenge. Combining adventure, humor, romance, superb storytelling, and an imagination that is at once dazzlingly inventive and grounded in a recognizable world, MaddAddam is vintage Margaret Atwood, and a moving and dramatic conclusion to her internationally celebrated dystopian trilogy"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,427,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible