MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

2,2081254,189 (3.96)1 / 258
Member:konallis
Title:MaddAddam
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:London : Bloomsbury, 2013.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:science fiction, post-apocalyptic, dystopia/utopia, read 2018

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

English (120)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (124)
I always enjoy Atwood's writing. I read this book in 4 days - I wanted to see how Oryx and Crake, and The Year of the Flood come together in the last book. I preferred the voice of the first two books, although I have to admit the infusion of the Crakers' voice in MaddAddam is a refreshing, comedic relief. What I didn't enjoy though, was the voice of an insecure Toby - I would wince every time the character would lapse into it. Other than that, the storyline is good, though I found it slightly anti-climactic in the end.
I do recommend the series if you like sci-fi and/or dystopian fiction, with a "this could possibly happen" flavour to it. ( )
  ladykat | Aug 18, 2018 |
It was amazing! ( )
  Loni.C. | Aug 17, 2018 |
Extremely satisfying end to the MaddAddam Trilogy. Not one dangling story line, not one unreconciled plot detail, not one abruptly finished character. Here's to true writing talent, the kind Atwood always displays for our pleasure.

I reread both of the previous books in the series so that I would have all the details fresh in my mind for this read. I highly recommend that...as I do not think you could step into the final book without feeling immersed in the first two. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
I liked the first book the best. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 31, 2018 |
Together with ORYX AND CRAKE and IN THE YEAR OF THE FLOOD, this novel comprises the author's MADDADDAM trilogy in which the civilized world (already crippled by global warming) is upended by incredibly irresponsible genetic engineering. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Apr 4, 2018 |
Atwood's prose miraculously balances humor, outrage and beauty. ... It's a pleasure to read a futuristic novel whose celebration of beauty extends to the words themselves. And words are very important here; by the moving end of "Madd­Addam," we understand how language and writing produced the beautiful fiction that described our ­beginnings.

MaddAddam is slightly crazed, usually intriguing and often great fun. I would have enjoyed it even more, however, were it not for the nagging voice that said: instead of this, we might have had another Alias Grace, or another The Blind Assassin.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Theo Tait (Aug 28, 2013)

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hansen, Lotte KirkebyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
and for Larry Gaynor (1939-2010)
The Story of the Egg, and of Oryx and Crake, and how they made People and Animals; and of the Chaos; and of Snowman-the-Jimmy; and of the Smelly Bone and the coming of the Two Bad Men
But hatred and viciousness are addictive. You can get high on them. Once you've had a little, you start shaking if you don't get more.
They're preternaturally beautiful, thinks Toby. Unlike us. We must seem subhuman to them, with our flapping extra skins, our aging faces, our warped bodies, too thin, too fat, too hairy, too knobbly. Perfection exacts a price, but it's the imperfect who pay it.
There's the story, then there's the real story, then there's the story of how the story came to be told. Then there's what you leave out of the story. Which is part of the story too.
People need such stories, Pilar said once, because however dark, a darkness with voices in it is better than a silent void.
Why is it always such a surprise? thinks Toby. The moon. Even though we know it's coming. Every time we see it, it makes us pause, and hush.

Months after the Waterless Flood pandemic has wiped out most of humanity, Toby and Ren have rescued their friend Amanda from the vicious Painballers. They return to the MaddAddamite cob house, which is being fortified against man and giant Pigoon alike. Accompanying them are the Crakers, the gentle, quasi-human species engineered by the brilliant but deceased Crake. While their reluctant prophet, Jimmy -- Crake's one-time friend -- recovers from a debilitating fever, it's left to Toby to narrate the Craker theology, with Crake as Creator. She must also deal with cultural misunderstandings, terrible coffee, and her jealousy over her lover, Zeb.
At the centre, is the extraordinary story of Zeb's past, which involves a lost brother, a hidden murder, a bear, and a bizarre act of revenge.
Combining adventure, humour, romance, superb storytelling, and an imagination that is at once dazzlingly inventive and grounded in a recognizable world, MaddAddam is vintage Margaret Atwood, and a moving and dramatic conclusion to her internationally celebrated dystopian trilogy.

"Bringing together characters from Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood, this thrilling conclusion to Margaret Atwood's speculative fiction trilogy confirms the ultimate endurance of humanity, community, and love. Months after the Waterless Flood pandemic has wiped out most of humanity, Toby and Ren have rescued their friend Amanda from the vicious Painballers. They return to the MaddAddamite cob house, which is being fortified against man and giant Pigoon alike. Accompanying them are the Crakers, the gentle, quasihuman species engineered by the brilliant but deceased Crake. While their reluctant prophet, Jimmy--Crake's one-time friend--recovers from a debilitating fever, it's left to Toby to narrate the Craker theology, with Crake as Creator. She must also deal with cultural misunderstandings, terrible coffee, and her jealousy over her lover, Zeb. Meanwhile, Zeb searches for Adam One, founder of the God's Gardeners, the pacifist green religion from which Zeb broke years ago to lead the MaddAddamites in active resistance against the destructive CorpSeCorps. Now, under threat of an imminent Painballer attack, the MaddAddamites must fight back with the aid of their newfound allies, some of whom have four trotters. At the center is the extraordinary story of Zeb's past, which involves a lost brother, a hidden murder, a bear, and a bizarre act of revenge. Combining adventure, humor, romance, superb storytelling, and an imagination that is at once dazzlingly inventive and grounded in a recognizable world, MaddAddam is vintage Margaret Atwood, and a moving and dramatic conclusion to her internationally celebrated dystopian trilogy"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,817,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible