I Like Old Clothes by Mary Ann Hoberman

I Like Old Clothes

by Mary Ann Hoberman, Jacqueline Chwast

Other authors: Patrice Barton (Illustrator)

A little girl talks about why she enjoys second hand clothes.

Ages - 3 to 5
Sources - Pierce County Library
  Ms.Ellie | Feb 13, 2014 |
Wonderful textures and prints in these illustrations. Lilting rhyme, great imaginative prompts for thinking. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
A great book for teaching children how to appreciate valuables. Some are not as fortunate as others and teaching children how to be grateful for what they have is needed, especially in this society. I like this book a lot and commend Hoberman on her powerful message she wants her readers to take from this book. I also like the use of imagery Hoberman uses when the main character imagines where her hand-me-down clothes once belonged. Barton also did a good job illustrating the book. I love the old- fashioned and worn out clothes she drew that really makes the story come to life. Great book! ( )
  Kwatkins89 | Nov 26, 2013 |
This book is about a little girl who loves old clothes. She raves about how she loves things that aren't in style, and she wonders about the lives of the people who wore the clothes last. She even wonders who will wear them next!
From this book, children who wear hand-me-down clothes would have an easy time relating to the little girl, and they would love their clothes even more. For children who do not like old clothes, maybe this book could change their mind. They could see how much fun you can have with old clothes and styles. ( )
  rrossi1 | Oct 8, 2013 |

Mary Ann Hobermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chwast, Jacquelinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Barton, PatriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I like old clothes, / Hand-me-down clothes, / Worn outgrown clothes, / Not-my-own clothes. . . . Originally published by Knopf in 1976 (with illustrations by Jacqueline Chwast), this poem—an exuberant celebration of hand-me-down clothes—is just as relevant and accessible today as it was over 30 years ago.  Children's Poet Laureate Mary Ann Hoberman offers a bouncy, fun-to-read-aloud text and a refreshingly agreeable, resourceful protagonist who likes old clothes for their "history" and "mystery." Illustrator Patrice Barton brings new, contemporary life to the poem, with an adorable little girl and her younger brother playing dress-up, making crafts, and happily treasuring their hand-me-downs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:16 -0400)

A child who likes wearing hand-me-downs imagines in verse the history of these clothes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,145,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible