Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books)…

Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books) (edition 2012)

by Kate Hosford, Gabi Swiatkowska (Illustrator)

64None184,859 (4.03)None
Member:brangwinn
Title:Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
Authors:Kate Hosford
Other authors:Gabi Swiatkowska (Illustrator)
Info:Carolrhoda Books (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:PSC Review copies

Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books) by Kate Hosford

A big-picture book that stays rooted in one particular voice & character. Quirky, beautiful illustrations are a good match for representing the process of imaginative thinking.

NYT Best Illustrated 2012 ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

NYT Best Illustrated 2012 ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
I think my favorite part about this story were the illustrations. Infinity is a hard concept to grasp, and I did like this author's take on it. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Beautifully illustrated children's book with a child's simplistic, or brilliant, view of infinity. I loved it. ( )
  thingtwo | Oct 18, 2013 |
I felt a little bit let down by this book. I carry a huge interest in books of this type, introducing science or math concepts to kids, young and old, but I didn't really think this one furthered the understanding a kid would have of infinity, beyond what you would be able to explain yourself to your kid with a couple of examples. And, I don't think either that the symbol of infinity is that essential for explaining the concept, or is it?

Anyway, I still appreciate the effort. Unfortunately though the book is sort of dark, and may not prick a kids interest all that much, if it was up to the cover. But then again, I feel the same about the graphics of most "nerdy" books I've come across for kids, including for instance [b:Math Curse|174329|Math Curse|Jon Scieszka|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347644241s/174329.jpg|168394] whose graphics I intensely hated. Either the illustrations tend to be cheap and trivial, or they're way too "hip" or esoteric for my taste. What's up with that? ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |

When I looked up, I shivered. How many stars were in the sky? A million? A billion? Maybe the number was as big as infinity. I started to feel very, very small. How could I even think about something as big as infinity? Uma can't help feeling small when she peers up at the night sky. She begins to wonder about infinity. Is infinity a number that grows forever? Is it an endless racetrack? Could infinity be in an ice cream cone? Uma soon finds that the ways to think about this big idea may just be . . . infinite.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:43 -0400)

After the sight of a night sky filled with stars makes eight-year-old Uma feel very small, she asks people how they think about infinity and gets a variety of answers before realizing the comfort in knowing that some things go on forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible