Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books)…

Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books) (edition 2012)

by Kate Hosford, Gabi Swiatkowska (Illustrator)

Title:Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
Authors:Kate Hosford
Other authors:Gabi Swiatkowska (Illustrator)
Info:Carolrhoda Books (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:PSC Review copies

Infinity and Me (Carolrhoda Picture Books) by Kate Hosford

If you're looking for a way to inspire very young people to wonder about math and science, look no further than Infinity and Me!

Hosford, Kate. 2012. Infinity and Me. Minneapolis, MN: Carolrhoda. (Illustrated by Gabi Swiatkowska)

Infinity and Me will open up (dare I say it?) infinite possibilities and questions!

A small girl, Uma, ponders infinity while gazing at stars,

"How many stars were in the sky? A million? A billion? Maybe the number was as big as infinity. I started to feel very, very small. How could I even think about something as big as infinity?"

Uma proceeds to ask others how they conceive of infinity, and hears it defined in quantities of numbers, time, music, ancestors - even spaghetti! Finally, she settles on her own measure of infinity, quantified in something that is both personal and boundless. Full-bleed painted illustrations by Gabi Swiatkowska capture the magical sense of the endless immensity of infinity that at first perplexes Uma, and finally envelops her in understanding.

In the end, it doesn't matter how one envisions infinity; what does matter is kindling an interest in something broader, wider, more infinite than oneself.

This is an intriguing introduction to a mathematical concept.

More @ [http://shelf-employed.blogspot.com/2012/12/infinity-and-me-review.html] ( )
  shelf-employed | Mar 31, 2016 |
Uma starts to question what the meaning on infinity is. She tries going around and asking people their opinions but most of them freaked her out or scared her. So Uma tried using her imagination to try to figure out what infinity looked like. Uma had also gotten a new pair of red shiny shoes, in which she was upset that no one had complimented them yet. When it was finally time for Uma to go home, her grandma mentioned that those were the most beautifulest shoes she had ever seen. Uma then realized that her love for your grandma was as big as infinity. ( )
  rpridmore | Feb 17, 2016 |
A little girl explores the expansive meaning of infinity. My favorite lines in the book: "At first, I thought that I might like to have recess forever. But if there's no school before recess, and no school after recess, is it really recess anymore?" ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Uma goes to look at the night sky and starts thinking about the stars and infinity, it was so big that she didn't know how to comprehend it. The next few days she wears her brand new shoes and stars asking everyone she knew how the comprehended infinity, but non of them connected and made sense to her. No one, not even grandma, said anything about her new shoes. At the end of the book grandma does notice her shoes and Uma find the meaning of infinity through her love for grandma. I loved this book, the idea of infinity is so mind boggling that everyone can have their own ideas about it, we all have to find out what infinity means to us just like Uma did. I thought it was interesting that in this book Uma doesn't seem to have any other guardian besides her grandma and I think its important to have a variety of books such as this for children who don't have their biological parents living with them, they can connect on another level with the characters in the book.The illustration in the book were also very well done. I liked that on every page the illusrations were simple but their were also designs on only parts of the pages.
GENRE: Fantasy
1. Math, the idea of infinity
2. Relationships, Who are we comfortable asking questions with? ( )
  Jazmyn96 | Jan 30, 2016 |
48 months - I wanted to love this book but I didn't really enjoy the illustrations that seemed a bit dark. There are some good examples to describe infinity. I hope we come across another book or two on the topic so O can further understand this math concept. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

When I looked up, I shivered. How many stars were in the sky? A million? A billion? Maybe the number was as big as infinity. I started to feel very, very small. How could I even think about something as big as infinity? Uma can't help feeling small when she peers up at the night sky. She begins to wonder about infinity. Is infinity a number that grows forever? Is it an endless racetrack? Could infinity be in an ice cream cone? Uma soon finds that the ways to think about this big idea may just be . . . infinite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

After the sight of a night sky filled with stars makes eight-year-old Uma feel very small, she asks people how they think about infinity and gets a variety of answers before realizing the comfort in knowing that some things go on forever.

11 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,792,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible