Florence by Ciye Cho

Title:Florence
Authors:Ciye Cho
Info:Studio Amazepop (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Florence by Ciye Cho

Posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/06/arc-indie-review-book-trailer-floren...

I was given the opportunity to review this book by the author himself. I love the idea of a YA paranormal mermaid story because it is very new to me. And now after reading this, I want to find more like it. Everything about this book is just stunning, from the cover to the imagery inside. I am in love. This was an absolute joy.

Our main character Florence is a shy girl who keeps to herself. Everyone seems to forget about her or overlook her from her peers ro her nonexistent mother (who obviously needs a reality check). One day while on a field trip to the beach to study the ocean life, Florence runs into something that is very much impossible. A merman. And that merman has kidnapped her and carried her to a different world deep in the ocean named Niemela. Florence soon realizes that she isn't having a nightmare. She is in a new and colorful world full of merpeople who all believe that she has no right being amongst them. Florence is slowly learning about the world except for who she should trust and that is the most devastating thing of all.

What a perfect summer read this was. I ate this book up very quickly. It is quite the page-turner. The world Cho created was just beautiful. So bright, colorful and larger than life. I couldn't help but think about Finding Nemo. This isn't a children's story really, but all those colors and amazing creatures were amazing. My brain had lots of fun imagining this world. Definitely something that will stick with me. Incredible worldbuilding.

I love all the various characters in the book. Florence is a great lead. I love that after learning that she isn't dreaming and can't escape, she really tries learning about the world and the situation she is in. I love the mermaid Yolee, well Princess Yolee. If not for her, I am not sure what would have happened to Florence. She takes Florence under her wing even though Florence is older (and with permission from the king). I love how they click and how much they learn from each other. They were alike in many ways. They both want to belong somewhere and they look out for each other. The whole problem with Florence in Niemela is that she doesn't seem to fit in their just like she didn't fit on land. And without Yolee, I think they both would have been quite lost.

Yolee's brothers, however, were the main thing about this book. You have Kiren, who is the younger prince and is set to be king. Florence was kidnapped for his coronation as a human familiar (which is unheard of). And him and Florence immediately hit it off. Then you have the older brother Rolan who pushes Florence away and doesn't seem to want Florence in Niemela. But you soon realize that both brothers aren't what they seem. But the romance isn't the main story. This is a Young Adult book and it is more about discovery more than anything. Florence is confused about her feelings about the brothers, but it isn't a love triangle (thank God) and again, there is more than what meets the eye.

I absolutely adored this story. I love the idea of the Darkness. Niemela's greatest enemies come from the Darkness. A place below Niemela that is home to the biggest and dangerous creatures in the ocean. And they seem to be making an appearance a little too often. I love the monsters Cho used. This book is full of adventure and amazing monsters. I was really on the edge of my seat throughout this book. It all starts with Kiren and him wanting a human familiar. I love how the plot develops as to why he wants to actually bring a human into his world and it adds a whole other layer to this incredible story. Now there are secrets and lies about but I can't say because it is a spoiler. Just know they pile up high in the book and really add to the mystery of this book. Truly didn't see any of that coming. Now the ending does leave you asking a few questions, but that only makes me anxious for more. There is a lot more to this story and I want to know what it is now. Cho, you are killing me!

Cho goes into a lot of detail about the world of Niemela and I liked it a lot. It made it easy to imagine and like I said, very beautiful. This will look very nice in my favorites list for sure. It is a fantasy I was very glad to be lost in. I am so enchanted and in love. And again, merpeople is a first for me. So I hope to find other works like this and hope they will be just as spellbinding as this book. I love how this ended and I love that there will be more. Just thinking about it has me jittery. Highly recommended. Don't miss this book! Thank you so much Ciye Cho! ( )
  harleyquinn0887 | Feb 27, 2013 |
Florence
Florence Waverly Book One
By Ciye Cho

When Florence Waverly takes a trip with her class to the beach she thought it would be just another day, but when she is kidnapped and taken to Nielmela by a merman nothing will ever be the same for her. The merman was supposed to bring a creature back as a gift for Prince Kiren not a human, so when she arrives all of Niemela is in an uproar, and as what to do with her that is still up for discussion.

Ciye Cho’s take on mermaids is absolutely spectacular, they are not described as most people do though they have the same features as humans they are colorful with orange skin or purple hair, each one is unique and vibrant. Not only does the author have a distinct view on mermaids but the powers they possess as well as the land that they live in are both fascinating coming to life through the pages as Ciye Cho utilizes a remarkable ability to describe precisely what she intends the reader to feel and see. This is definitely a unique and fun novel with an interesting story beautiful narration and a strong romance I definitely recommend this.

For More Reviews be sure to visit my blogs at:
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.com/ ( )
  BookWormRflects | Nov 22, 2012 |
3.5/5 stars.

When I was contacted by Mr. Cho to possibly review Florence, the magic word that caught my attention was "mermaid". I am a huge sucker for mermaid books, but have yet to read one that I really enjoyed. Normally there are so many problematic elements in the story that my general feeling upon finishing is "meh". But that was not the case with Florence; while it took me a bit of time to get invested in the story, once that happened I was happily engrossed in the world of Niemala and the on-going relationships between the characters. And the ending of this book just left me with one thought: "I can't wait to see what happens next!"

Florence is your typical shy loner girl. She doesn't have any friends, she hangs by herself, and prefers to observe others through the lens of her camera. When she's kidnapped by a merman and taken to the underwater world of Niemala, she finds herself instantly immersed in a world completely different from the one she's used to. Aside from the obvious differences - the world is populated by mermaids and merman, and is obviously underwater - she suddenly finds herself as a focus of others, and has to deal with being thrust into the spotlight. Much of the first part of the book - and the reason it took some time to really grab me - is that the author includes a lot of description and information to help with the world-building. This information, while necessary to help the reader become immersed in the world, really slowed down the development of the plot, which really didn't appear until about 45% into the story. However, I enjoyed all of the descriptions and details; while it slowed things down, it also really helped me see the world the author had created.

Things I didn't like as well included: some of the author's choice of words (I felt like they were too complex or unique for the rest of the narrative; it's fine to throw in different words so things don't sound the same, but words that might make people reach for dictionaries - particularly if they're not so good at using context clues - can really throw people out of the book), and the way the book switched from Florence's first-person point of view (which is the main point of view) to an omniscient third-person point of view. This allowed the reader to be privy to things that Florence herself was not, and that tends to annoy me, because I like to be on the same page as the narrator. The switching between points of view didn't necessarily happen as seamlessly as they could have, either, and while these chapters did help progress the plot along, I kind of felt like there could have been some other way to maintain the one single point of view.

I was concerned that we were heading toward a love triangle, and as anyone who has followed my reviews to any degree knows, I am so over love triangles. But this wasn't your typical one, at least not for me, because one brother was all flash and beauty while the other was more intricate and intriguing; I pretty much had my preferred ship from the get-go, so enjoyed watching Florence figure things out. I also adored Yolee, the princes' younger sister. Her personality was pretty awesome and I loved what her gift was, and the reason why she loved what she did. And watching Florence and Yolee's friendship blossom was also fun to read. And I also loved watching the growing relationship between her and Rolan as well. Talk about a guy with some hidden depths!

This book pretty clearly sets itself up for a sequel, at least in my opinion, because there's no clear wrap-up of the dangers facing the world, and there's a definite unanswered issue at the end as well. This is okay, though, because I definitely wouldn't mind diving back into the world of Niemala (yes, the pun was intended; sorry about that). While there were times when the plot was a bit slow, anyone who loves world-building and fun twists on mermaid lore will probably find something to enjoy about this book. You can probably also appreciate the journey of a young woman searching for her place in the world and finally realizing that she can do more than what she thought she could. I know that, for me at least, that was one of the definite plusses!

A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ahandfulofconfetti | Oct 20, 2012 |
Find this review and more at On The Shelf!

This was probably one of the most colorful stories I have ever read. I loved the descriptions of the underwater kingdom. Everything was so bright and lively, and it sounded so beautiful.

I really liked the characters and how colorful they were as well. Florence was a quiet character at first. She didn’t want to bring attention to herself, but that changes when she is brought to Niemela, where her very presence is attention grabbing. She is special somehow and is very strong-willed. A favorite character was definitely Yolee. She was so spunky and adorable, I couldn’t help but to like her.

Some things are not what they seem and you have to be careful who you trust. The story itself was pretty good, but one complaint I have is I never found out why Florence was so special. She could do things that surpised the Niemelans, but we never figure out why she has those abilities. For me, this is a huge hole I wanted filled. When a character is supposed to stand out from the rest, I like to know why, not just say ok, this is how it is.

The book was well-written, though here and there in the last 30 pages, I found a “be” or “is” that was missing. There were a few new words I learned, including one of my new favorites, ersatz, which was my Wordy Wednesday choice a couple of weeks ago.

All in all, I found this book very enjoyable with a beautiful underwater world. I look forward to reading the sequel and maybe finding out why Florence is so special. I definitely recommend this fun read to any mermaid fan!

Colorful, fast read, interesting sea creatures, would like to know more about Florence. ( )
  VykiC37 | Oct 19, 2012 |
Amazing and wonderful are two words that come to mind when you think about Florence by Ciye Cho. It has been several days since I finished this wonderful book and I am still thinking about it. Mr. Cho did a beautiful job creating and describing a world that is so unlike our own. From the very beginning this descriptive story takes a hold of you and doesn’t let go.

Florence is a unique story about a girl, named Florence, who is kidnapped and taken to live among the merpeople in Niemela. Before she was kidnapped she was very insecure and a bit sad sounding. In Niemela, she grows and develops into a wonderful character who you would like to be friends with.

Florence is a Pranormal YA adventure that I recommend to everyone. It is a truly an enjoyable story that both teens and adults will fall in love with. ( )
  dpchapman | Jul 19, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0987136445, Mass Market Paperback)

Seventeen-year-old Florence Waverley is out of her depth. Literally. Kidnapped and taken below the waves to the mer world of Niemela, she is the ultimate gift for merman Prince Kiren: a human familiar tied to his side. But nothing is what it seems amid the beauty and danger of a dark ocean.

Every Niemelan has a role to play, from the mermaids who weave towers out of kelp to the warriors who fight sea monsters. But in trying to survive, Florence will end up in the middle of a war between the mer and the Darkness. A conflict that will push her between two brothers: Kiren, the charmer inexplicably drawn to both her and the monsters; and Rolan, the loner who has been pushing her away since the day they met. But in order to take a stand--and find out where she belongs--Florence will have to risk it all: her life, her heart... and her very soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible