Reason to Breathe: The Breathing Series…

Reason to Breathe: The Breathing Series (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Donovan

Member:BookConfessions
Title:Reason to Breathe: The Breathing Series (Volume 1)
Authors:Rebecca Donovan
Info:Wood Street Publishing (2012), Paperback, 386 pages
Collections:To read

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

I went into this knowing it was going to deal with abuse and that it was heartbreaking, and it was. This deals with abuse (physical and emotional). Your heart will break for Emma as you know things with her Aunt were just going to get worse and worse.

I do think this was a little longer than it needed to be. All though this deals with Emma facing the challenges of living with her Aunt and Uncle, it was also about a high school romance. There were other high school issues as well. The love story took up more of the story than the issues with Emma and her family. If you like reading a story that deals with these issues but also focuses on other things you would love this.

I do feel this story brings the opportunity to discuss abuse with teenagers (school aged children) and the importance of this topic when someone knows abuse is occurring. Emma puts her best friend and boyfriend in a complicated situation to keep her secret about the abuse occurring from her Aunt. They do not want to betray Emma’s trust, so they do not say anything. I think it is important topic to cover with our teens/kids around what to do if they know a friend who is being abused.

Overall, this was pretty good. I own the bind-up of book one and two so I will be continuing with book two in the series. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Oct 30, 2018 |
I loved this book. At times though I felt like I had skipped a couple pages or something-it seemed to jump around (like, someone is gone one minute, and then back the next! I was sure I missed something!). That aside, I did really enjoy the book; I liked the characters and I felt that it was pretty realistic for the most part. Its definitely HS drama, so if you don't like that kind of stuff, you won't like this. I, however, love it! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
Definitely a must read...... this is going to be a good trilogy once "Out of Breath" is released! ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
This book really grabbed me and the end was just as interesting as the beginning, which is why I decided to read book 2 right away. I read this book by borrowing it from Amazon Prime and bought the other two books of the series before I finished it. The series is very well written and captivating. ( )
  KatKealy | Jun 2, 2017 |
I don't know what to say about this book. The first half left me heartbroken but when Evan left and Emma started hanging out with the other boy I sort of started losing interest and didn't care as much about what was going to happen to her.
That left me with a feeling of annoyance while reading the rest of the book. Because all my friends kept telling me to read it for ages and how great the book was, I think I went into it with so much expectation and felt a bit let down. I think if I had read this book 6 months ago it would have been different but I have read so many books with the same theme now that I sort of expect more. It is my own fault for having waited so long to read it and I am only disappointed with myself. I will still read the other 2 books to see where the story goes. ( )
  crisana | Jun 2, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0615581927, Paperback)

"No one tried to get involved with me, and I kept to myself. This was the place where everything was supposed to be safe and easy. How could Evan Mathews unravel my constant universe in just one day?" He knows there’s something more to the girl sitting in the back of the class the moment he sees her. She’s beautiful, intelligent, and athletic – but she slips quietly through the crowded halls, trying not to exist. Determined to get to know the elusive girl, Evan soon discovers… Emma Thomas is hiding a terrible a secret. Reason to Breathe is an electrifying page turner from start to finish, a unique tale of life-changing love, unspeakable cruelty, and one girl’s fragile grasp of hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:18 -0400)

In the affluent town of Weslyn, Connecticut, where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She's more concerned with feigning perfection- pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises, not wanting anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is. Without expecting it, she finds love. It challenges her to recognize her own worth- at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she's desperate to hide.--From back cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,234,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible