More Joy in Heaven by Morley Callaghan

More Joy in Heaven (1937)

by Morley Callaghan

A seemingly simple tale of reformed and newly-released bank robber who is hailed as a returning hero by the media and held up as an example of how well the justice system works by politicians.

I say "seemingly simple" because this is a novel by Morley Callaghan and nothing is as simple as it at first seems in his works. As the secret agendas of the both society and the law-makers becomes clear, Callaghan exposes the lack of integrity and irresponsibility inherent in all our respected institutions, and the isolating and self-destructive potential of fame.
  Gayle_C._Bull | May 18, 2013 |
I didn't expect to like it, as the subject matter (ex-convict, etc) held little appeal. However, I picked it up for a dollar on the strength of my enjoyment of Callaghan's other works.

In short, I was blown away. The adjective 'visceral' comes to mind, in that I was so completely transported into the life experience of this man who would not otherwise cross my mind..

Callaghan is a master. 'Nuff said. ( )
  lucthegreat | Apr 20, 2013 |
It's a decent novel. The last two chapters kinda make up for the disinterest I felt for much of this novel of redemption and of the phoniness of society.

There were some rare flashes of vivid imagery from Callaghan that I appreciated. For instance, this passage from chapter 22: "He was standing in the dark, jerking the words out of him so rapidly he seemed to lose his breath. He began to stride up and down, his great shadow was thrown and broken and thrown and broken"...

Also from page 182 in the second last chapter: "Looking down at Foley's twitching face on the sunlit road he knew that Foley was evil. But it didn't matter. They were combing the city for him, the Judas; details of police spread out with a special hatred of him."
  GYKM | Feb 8, 2011 |
I'm not sure what to say about this book, it's easy to read, and the action happens quickly, but the moral is ambiguous and not easy to pick out, if there is one. ( )
  charlie68 | Jan 4, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0771099568, Mass Market Paperback)

Based on a real-life character, More Joy in Heaven is a gripping account of the tragic plight of young Kip Caley, a notorious bank-robber released early from prison and feted by society as a returning prodigal son.

Earnest, optimistic, and fired by reformist zeal, Kip eventually comes to realize that the welcome of his supporters is superficial and that their charity is driven by self-interest.

More Joy in Heaven was first published in 1937.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,656,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible