Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Spirit and Dust

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Daisy Goodnight (cousin to Amy from Texas Gothic) sees ghosts when she touches something belonging to the dead person. While definitely creepy, she's used to it, as it's a family trait. So, being a relatively good person, Daisy's been using her ability to help out local police and - most recently - the FBI. It seems like a run-of-the-mill (though serious, of course) kidnapping until Daisy discovers the kidnapped college girl is the daughter of a scary mob boss. Who has Daisy kidnapped and forces her to swear - magically - to help save his daughter, or else.

Fun and fast-paced, this suspenseful mystery was another delight! There's no need to read the books in published order, but definitely read them both!! ( )
  kayceel | Jun 16, 2014 |
This is technically the second in the "Texas Gothic" series, but it focuses on a completely different character/events and could easily be considered a standalone. Almost-18-year-old Daisy Goodnight can talk to the dead. She is called to consult by the FBI, but things go south quickly when the mobster father of the kidnap victim co-opts Daisy's services for his own sinister purposes. Compelled when he threatens her extended family, Daisy is forced to work with Carson, a young man with ties to the mobster whom Daisy ends up trusting even though she knows she shouldn't.

As always with RCM's writing, the voice is terrific -- funny, snarky, loveable, with tons of pop-culture references. Here is one of my favorite bits (no spoilers):

Carson headed for the coffeemaker -- an apparatus that looked like it could pilot the space shuttle. Maybe someone had gotten a bargain when NASA shut down that program. "The note says there's a bag of bagels by the toaster. You can work a toaster, right?"

"Of course," I answered. Neither of us said anything while Carson ran the coffee grinder, but once he'd measured out the grounds and, I don't know, programmed a geosynchronous orbit, he turned to me."
  amysisson | May 17, 2014 |
I love how creepy the cover is and I have already read The Splendour Falls by this author and remember how surprisingly creepy that novel was. However, this novel isn't creepy at all, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless.

There was lots of action and adventure, which I appreciated and I didn't expect any of the twists, which was nice. Some of the romance was a bit cringey, but I've definitely seen worse in other novels, so I wasn't too fazed by it.

I really enjoyed the action scenes in the book as no two were alike and took place in several different locations, which made it so that I was hooked all the way through and I'm sure you will be too if you decide to give it a go. ( )
  AmyJ96 | Dec 1, 2013 |
Daisy Goodnight is a college student who helps out the police from time to time to solve murders. She can see and talk to ghosts to find out who the killer is. When the FBI takes her to Minnesota to help solve the abduction of the daughter of a mobster. But the mobster is not happy with the FBI so he takes things into his own hands, including Daisy. Now she is under a spell and she has to find the missing girl.

I enjoyed this book. Daisy is a fun character. My only complaint is that the book was a bit all over the place. There was so much going on that it was a bit too much for me. But I did like most of it and will definitely read the next book. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Aug 6, 2013 |

Waking up in a mob boss's guest bedroom, psychic detective Daisy Goodnight is forced to use her ability to speak with ghosts in order to search throughout the country to locate her captor's daughter and discover the identity of the Black Jackal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible