Mark for Everyone by Tom Wright

Mark for Everyone (2001)

by Tom Wright

Readable, engaging, beneficial. Written for the educated layman. Many will take issue with some of his positions, his "new perspective" on justification being one glaring example.

I really enjoyed this work. ( )
1 vote joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |
Tom Wright has done it again with an extremely readable and very accessible translation and commentary on the Gospel according to Mark.

I’m reading my way through the entire set of New Testament commentaries that Wright has produced. Having already finished the two-volume Matthew for Everyone, I made my way to Mark expecting more of the same excellent quality. And I was not to be disappointed.

Wright has such a subtle style. He’s a theological heavyweight professor at St Andrews University in Scotland, but you wouldn’t know it as he writes. Well, that’s not entirely true. You do get a very clear sense that this is a guy who knows exactly what he’s talking about. He knows his New Testament history, the culture and ideas of the time. His authority

permeates every page as he takes you through the meaning of each verse.

And it’s this detailed clarity which is the strength of this book and, I’m beginning to think, the entire series. This careful, measured, scholarly approach to Scripture is something we really lack in the church these days.

Wright shows us why each passage needs to be interpreted based on the panoply of Scripture as a whole and insights into the socio-historical context in which it was written. Yet at the same time, Wright manages to make each passage relevant to our 21st century lives and illustrates how we can apply the truths we learn about with every reading.

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote arukiyomi | Jul 11, 2014 |
An incredibly helpful commentary by a great theologian. It's amazing how N.T. Wright can take the finest in New Testament scholarship and make it digestible enough that everyone from pastors, teachers to small group leaders can use his material. Mark is another great selection from the Everyone Series. ( )
  adamtarn | May 2, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 066422783X, Paperback)

N.T. Wright has undertaken a tremendous task: to provide guides to all the books of the New Testament, and to include in them his own translation of the entire text. Each short passage is followed by a highly readable discussion, with background information, useful explanations and suggestions, and thoughts as to how the text can be relevant to our lives today. A glossary is included at the back of the book. The series is suitable for group study, personal study, or daily devotions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:30 -0400)

Tom Wright's eye-opening comments on the Gospel of Mark and what it might mean for us are combined, passage-by-passage, with his fresh translation of the Bible text. Making use of his true scholar's understanding, yet writing in an approachable and anecdotal style, Wright captures the urgency and excitement of Mark's Gospel in a way few writers have. . Tom Wright has undertaken a tremendous task: to provide guides to all the books of the New Testament, and to include in them his own translation of the entire text. Each short passage is followed by a highly readable discussion with background information, useful explanations and suggestions, and thoughts as to how the text can be relevant to our lives today. A glossary is included at the back of the book. The series is suitable for group study, personal study, or daily devotions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,398,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible