Intangibles: Big-League Stories and…

Intangibles: Big-League Stories and Strategies for Winning the Mental…

by Geoff Miller

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At first I was a bit disconnected from the book, although not the author's fault. I was expecting a different book on strategy, the scenarios of on the field play. However I soon realized that I had forgotten the one major component that makes the game so different from other sports, the cerebral portion of the game. As Yogi once said, "baseball is 90% mental...". So true and this book is just that, it's about the mental part of the game and life. Once I shed my premature impressions about this book, I really enjoyed reading it and consider to be lucky to have this in my library. I would recommend this book to anyone who truly loves the mental game more so than the physical game. ( )
  Gina.Wilson | Sep 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book is written by a guy who has been the mental coach for several major league baseball teams. He is a life long lover of baseball and finds a way, with the help of an influential professor, to work his way into the game as a mental coach. Miller is very good at what he does. While his strategies are directed at high-level baseball players, or players who have dreams of a career in the sport, many of his lessons are easily tranferrable to life.

I really connected with the first half of the book and took many notes that I hope to use in my own career as a high coach for several different sports. Miller's writing was engaging and his anecdotes are perfect. He is able to bring many amorphous ideas and make them more tangible - so to speak.

The second half of the book I did not find as engaging, but that is not Miller's fault. His writing remained clear and engaging. The second half is just aimed at those directly involved or more involved with the game of baseball.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking at becoming a better leader, and especially those people involved in helping develop high-level ball players. ( )
  weejane | Sep 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wise man once said "Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical." This book focuses on the 90% that Yogi Berra was talking about. It's an interesting concept and read well, but it felt too much like a self-help book and I wasn't really into that. ( )
  goodinthestacks | Sep 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had higher hopes for this book than the predictable self-improvement plan for not only baseball players and fans, but sports fanatics of all descriptions. Miller offers advice and common-sense for everyone, but I confess you might need to be a sports nut to truly love this book. ( )
  cplanten | Aug 31, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The author grew up a baseball fan, and says he thought he knew everything there was to know about baseball until he came in contact with professional players and coaches. After that reset, he fashioned an approach to the game's mental side that he has used to advise players looking to learn faster than their own individual experience would allow.

The result is this book, describing with anecdotes how he interacts with players to help their mental approach to the game. The book is written for minor league players and for baseball fans - fans, for sure, will enjoy it for its insight into the mental aspects of professional athletes. The principles and the framework apply beyond the game as well. ( )
  ridgeclub | Aug 18, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Intangibles: Big-League Stories and Strategies for Winning the Mental Game—in Baseball and in Life by Geoff Miller was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible