No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig

No Safe Harbor (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Ludwig

Member:mookiekat
Title:No Safe Harbor
Authors:Elizabeth Ludwig
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom) by Elizabeth Ludwig

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Looking for historical romance with mystery and intrigue? Then No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig could be for you. Set amidst the bustling immigrant population of New York at the end of the 19th century, it has danger and suspense and an enduring love story. A perfect read for the cooler nights of Autumn.

Cara Hamilton believed she had lost everyone she loved until receiving a mysterious letter from her twin brother she had presumed dead. Summoned to New York City, Cara braves the Atlantic crossing determined to find her brother and discover the reason behind his flight to America. Rourke Turner/Walsh believes Cara is the key to finding his father's murderer, but as their relationship strengthens, he is torn between family duty and love.

Cara and Rourke are great characters. They each struggle with faith and loyalty to family. The mystery surrounding Cara's brother Eoghan leads them into danger. And you can never be sure whom can be trusted. I liked the New York that Ludwig recreates -- streets busy with vendors and carriages and wagons, dark alleys filled with secrets and danger and a boarding house with women hurt by the past and determined to make a new life in a new land. Ellis Island is a central landmark and familiar to all of us whose great-grands passed through its gates. Irish politics makes its way to New York as well, and I was glad for the lesson on Fenians and the role of immigrant support in the quest for Irish Home Rule. The theme of revenge vs. forgiveness runs throughout the No Safe Harbor. It is clear that revenge leads to bitterness and corruption, yet forgiveness leads to freedom. And God is never far from His people. I loved how Clara recalls her mother's words -- God's help is closer than the door.

No Safe Harbor is the first in the 3-part Edge of Freedom series (all are currently available). I am looking forward to more with those I met in this book.

Recommended.

Audience: older teens to adults. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Sep 23, 2015 |
I loved this book. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. I fell in love with Cara and hoped through the whole book that she would find her brother. I knew once she trusted Rourke that everything would get more complicated but I hoped that in the end things would work out for her. On a side note I have recently started listening to a group of singers called Celtic Thunder and I imagine Rourke to be one of the singers from that group so I always liked him. Anyway, back to the review I have to say I liked the ending in once sense but on the other hand it made me sad as well. I wish that everything would have worked out for her but the way it is left it could still work out and I hope that it does. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
The year is 1897 and the excitement of being in New York Harbor is spreading among the new immigrants that came from far away places to start over, Cara Hamilton clutches a reminder of someone she longs to see again. She searches the crowds for a glimpse of a familiar face which in the massive crowd she finds impossible. With only a letter from her missing brother she is destined to set out to find him not knowing where to start. /all seems overwhelming until a strange man befriends Cara and guides her to a rooming house where she is introduced to a group of curious strangers. Being forewarned to not trust anyone Cara allows herself to trust Rourke the stranger from the boat. As she searches for clues to the whereabouts of her brother she gets drawn into a world far beyond anything she could have imagined. A world where her life is threatened and she is repeatedly warned to leave things alone. Cara finds that Rourke is far more than the helpful stranger and soon starts to mistrust his intentions while Rourke learns he has been mislead by those he works with and decides to aide Cara in finding her brother. Through a world of attempted murder, angry revolutionaries who seek revenge and a mysterious secret that hangs over everything Can Cara find friendship, love and possibly a new meaning to her life? ( )
  mookiekat | Dec 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A historical thriller inundated with drama and romance, No Safe Harbor is steeped in the late 1890's of New York City. Rooted within a Christian foundation it is painted with rich Irish culture.

Elizabeth Ludwig obviously possesses quite a bit of knowledge on Irish customs and, gratefully, a talent for coloring the story with the famous Irish humor. The latter is an enormous pleasure, as well as a window for envisioning what it must have been like for my own Irish family arriving to the US from their homeland.

In addition to this delicacy, the suspenseful events and unveiling of three-dimensional characters keep those pages turning like a propeller. Being a seasoned enthusiast of countless riveting tales, this one is in a superior class that has you guessing until the end: a trait many writers fail at satisfying their audiences with. Trust is the core ingredient to every mystery occurring in No Safe Harbor. With subtlety and grace, the author abandons the reader in the midst of an alarming cliffhanger upon its conclusion. However, this is not done in a disappointing manner. In fact, with an finale like that, you can bet I snatched up a copy of its sequel the very moment it was offered for review.

A splendid tale, the anticipation is overflowing for the continuation. As an avid book collector, researcher and reviewer, this particular piece worked its way into my schedule unexpectedly. It is a delightful blessing to be introduced to this enchanting story and its marvelous author, Elizabeth Ludwig: most definitely one of my literary highlights of 2012! ( )
  IrishSplendour | Jul 14, 2013 |
No Safe Harbor
Elizabeth Ludwig

Book Summary: She came to America searching for her brother. Instead all she's found is a web of danger. Cara Hamilton had thought her brother to be dead. Now, clutching his letter, she leaves Ireland for America, desperate to find him. Her search leads her to a houseful of curious strangers, and one man who claims to be a friend--Rourke Walsh. Despite her brother's warning, Cara trusts Rourke, revealing her purpose in coming to New York. She's then thrust into a world of subterfuge, veiled threats, and attempted murder, including political revolutionaries from the homeland out for revenge. Her questions guide her ever nearer to locating her brother--but they also bring her closer to destruction as those who want to kill him track her footsteps. With her faith in tatters, all hope flees. Will her brother finally surface? Can he save Cara from the truth about Rourke... a man she's grown to love?

Book Review: The cover of this book is what drew me in first. I really was looking forward to reading this book and was not disappointed. I liked Cara and Ana. The premise and some of the details was complex regarding the civil unrest in Ireland. I was not always clear about who was on which side. Overall there seemed to be no good side that at some point in civil issues everyone loses something tangible as in the case of this book families were separated and/or divided. I loved the characters and how complex they were on the whole. The current secondary characters set up nicely for the next in the series. The mystery dragged at times and I am hopeful that it was due to setting up the series and the future characters which would help make all of them flow together. I think the real mystery was more subtle than Eoghan on the run from his civil enemies. This is a timely novel about significant division in a nation and the sides’ people choose.
I would like to thank Library Thing and Bethany House Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jul 1, 2013 |

The Thrill of Romantic Suspense Meets the Romance of 1800s America

Lured by a handful of scribbled words across a faded letter, Cara Hamilton sets off from 1896 Ireland on a quest to find the brother she'd thought dead. Her search lands her in America, amidst a houseful of strangers and one man who claims to be a friend--Rourke Walsh.

Despite her brother's warning, Cara decides to trust Rourke and reveals the truth about her purpose in America. But he is not who he claims to be, and as rumors begin to circulate about an underground group of dangerous revolutionaries, Cara's desperation grows. Her questions lead her ever closer to her brother, but they also bring her closer to destruction as Rourke's true intentions come to light.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:58 -0400)

Desperate to locate her only family, Cara Hamilton leaves Ireland for America and finds herself at the mercy of dangerous revolutionaries--and Rourke, the man she thought she knew and loved.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth Ludwig's book No Safe Harbor was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible