All Things New by Lynn Austin

All Things New (edition 2012)

by Lynn Austin

Member:BugsyBoog
Title:All Things New
Authors:Lynn Austin
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2

All Things New by Lynn Austin

I liked the story. I just thought, especially at the end, that it was unbelievable for the time period and setting. It alternates points of view between the daughter of a white plantation owner and a woman who was formerly enslaved on that plantation. Josephine is the daughter and the events of the civil war have caused her to question how she was raised. Her mother, Eugenia, also gets to chime in and she is very much rooted in the past. So while Josephine wants to help their one remaining servant - Lizzie, their former enslaved field hand - her mother wants her to resume calling on neighbors and looking for a husband. I definitely sympathized a lot with Josephine, who seem to see the realities of their new life and who was willing to change so that they could survive. Her mother just kept thinking about the past and whining about what she didn't have anymore, which was annoying. Their lives all change yet again when a Yankee named Alexander sets up an office of the Freedman's bureau. Lizzie is excited about the prospect of her children going to school. Eugenia is horrified. And Josephine is intrigued by Alexander and his strange new ideas. The resulting twists and turns are pleasant enough to follow, and the themes of embracing the changes that move us toward God was pleasant. However I thought the ending was very contrived and implausible for the time period. My final verdict I guess would be that this historical romance was kind of a mixed bag for me - some good parts and characters that I enjoyed, but I did not find it very believable. ( )
  debs4jc | Jan 26, 2017 |
Loved it,lilly loved it,gave it to lilly ( )
  cowlover1 | Jul 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
All Things New was a book set during the reconstruction era of the United States. It follows two families, a previous slave family and the other was the previously wealthy female slave owners and how they both try to rebuild their lives after the Civil War. Excellent book but hard to read some scenes that demonstrate the hatred that existed during this time. ( )
  LauraAdams | May 26, 2016 |
The writing style appealed to me and I was drawn to the characters from the onset, but this book really is nothing more than the same old 'I am a post civil war survivor. Look at me grow and survive.' That bit is really just played out with me. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Wow!! This was a terrific book. It is a story of Richmond, Virginia just after the Civil War. It is about how the attitudes of the South and the North toward slavery need to mesh together. It is about change in our country. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764208977, Paperback)

New Historical Novel from 7-Time Christy Award Winner!

In the aftermath of the Civil War, Josephine Weatherly and her mother, Eugenia, struggle to pick up the pieces of their lives when they return to their Virginia plantation. But the bitter realities of life after the war cannot be denied: their home and land are but shells of their previous grandeur; death has claimed her father and brother; and her remaining brother, Daniel, has returned home bitter and broken. The privileged childhood Josephine enjoyed now seems like a long-ago dream. And the God who failed to answer any of her prayers during the war is lost to her as well.

Josephine soon realizes that life is now a matter of daily survival--and recognizes that Lizzie, as one of the few remaining servants, is the one she must rely on to teach her all she needs to know. Josephine's mother, too, vows to rebuild White Oak...but a bitter hatred fuels her.

With skill and emotion, Lynn Austin brings to life the difficult years of the Reconstruction era by interweaving the stories of three women--daughter, mother, and freed slave--in a riveting tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

In the aftermath of the Civil War, Josephine vows to rebuild her family's once-grand Virginia plantation. But in the face of such destruction, is redemption and faith in God possible? The difficult years of the Reconstruction era are brought to life by interweaving the stories of three women--daughter, mother, and freed slave--in a riveting tale.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lynn Austin's book All Things New was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

2 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764208977, 0764210556

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,166,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible