A Fatal Twist of Lemon: A Wisteria Tearoom…

A Fatal Twist of Lemon: A Wisteria Tearoom Mystery (Volume 1) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Patrice Greenwood

Member:LynC49
Title:A Fatal Twist of Lemon: A Wisteria Tearoom Mystery (Volume 1)
Authors:Patrice Greenwood
Info:Book View Cafe (2012), Paperback, 274 pages

A Fatal Twist of Lemon by Patrice Greenwood (2012)

English (46)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (49)
Summer means reading mystery novels for me, and right now I am slowly reading through the TBR pile. This was a recent purchase, and I am glad I read it. The setting was wonderful, and believable. The cast of characters was a delight. I loved following Ellen as she interacted with her staff, family, friends as she searched for the killer. What especially made me happy was how Ellen and Tony butted head, since he was a bit of a brute sometimes.

And, most of all it lacked my main pet peeve when it comes to mysteries: The plot wasn't bogged down with all the details of the main characters daily life. ( )
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cozy like mystery, but more character development would have helped the flow of the story. Rather unnecessary subplot involving a ghost made the book far less likeable, but overall a good plane read. ( )
  parelle | Mar 18, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A classic whodunit. Well written and entertaining mystery that captures the spirit of Santa Fe. ( )
  tgford | Mar 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was an easy, quick read. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything special. Also, I did not care for the ending, it seemed a bit rush. Although the culprit was discovered, the author did not go much into motive other than speculation during earlier parts of the book. Overall, thought, it was a fine book and I would consider reading further ones in the series. ( )
  SullyTJ | Jan 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked the book, in fact, I read it twice - and have started a review at least a half dozen times. (Life intervened.) For a first-in-a series, it was good, but it took awhile to get into the book as, initially, the characters didn't seem to feel the impact of the murder at the very first public event of the new tearoom.

The descriptions of places are very good. I have visited Santa Fe a couple of times and pictured the tearoom very well, in and among other places mentioned. I like the idea of a Victorian tearoom in "Frontier" Santa Fe. I could easily picture the apartment and office on the second floor. (The exact layout, in my mind, was a bit more hazy. (Perhaps a diagram of the first floor would have helped my imagination alond.) The characters are believable - especially Ellen and Aunt Nat.. One very frustrating thing for me, as a reader, was the fact that the character of Sylvia Carruthers was not drawn well enough before (or in retrospect, very much, after) she died. I think the book would have been stronger if we understood more of what she was like in life and what might have led to her untimely demise. Also, I had no idea what a heishi necklace is and I believe that the story would have made more sense to me if that had somehow been explained better and not so close to the end.

I did not identify the murderer in my mind until he was revealed - one of my criteria for a good plot. I look forward to seeing the story continued, in future books, and some of the characters we have met further developed. It is sometimes a treat to read something that has a good plot and characters that is not "scarry." ( )
  LynC49 | Dec 22, 2012 |
for the St. James Tearoom
The first day my tearoom opened was wonerful - mostly.

Cops drink coffee. They don't belong in Ellen Rosings's Victorian tearoom. But when her opening day thank-you tea ends in the murder of the president of the Santa Fe Preservation Trust, the police invade her haven. Enter Detective Tony Aragon: attractive and unsympathetic, with a chip on his shoulder that goes beyond the murder investigation, and Ellen's delicate bone china cup is full. Is the murderer one of her honored guests, or the ghost rumored to haunt the building? Will Ellen solve the mystery, or will the Wisteria Tearoom's premiere turn out to be its - and Ellen's - finale?… (more)

Pati Nagle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

24 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Fatal Twist of Lemon by Patrice Greenwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible