A Fatal Twist of Lemon: A Wisteria Tearoom…

A Fatal Twist of Lemon: A Wisteria Tearoom Mystery (Volume 1) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Patrice Greenwood

Member:SullyTJ
Title:A Fatal Twist of Lemon: A Wisteria Tearoom Mystery (Volume 1)
Authors:Patrice Greenwood
Info:
Rating:***

A Fatal Twist of Lemon by Patrice Greenwood (2012)

English (47)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (50)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Fatal Twist of Lemon is a book I got through LibraryThings Early Reviewers. In exchange for the book, I have been asked to write this review. This book is a solid cozy mystery. You have an amateur sleuth trying to solve a mystery that impacts her life directly. It was fast paced and an easy read. I found it enjoyable once I got into it. I found that Greenwood did a good job setting up her red herring and eventual discovery of the true killer. I love a good mystery and found this one very enjoyable. I needed something like this as I have some heavier books on my TBR pile.

That being said, I had some problems with the story. I actually felt cheated out of something by the time this book was over. My two big problems were the beginning and the end. The beginning starts really fast. I have read some cozy mysteries that don't give you the mystery until about half way through the book. That is too long. Most give you about one set up chapter and then launch you into the murder. Greenwood launches into the murder within the first 3 pages. There is barely any set up as to who Ellen, our sleuth, is and why we should care. It took me a little while to understand where things were happening (other than Ellen's new Tea Room). I had no idea why I should care about who murdered Sylvia. I do like a little set up, even if it's just to tell me about Santa Fe (a place I have never been to before). Greenwood does the set up part through the novel explaining enough to make me forgive her rush to get us to the mystery. I can understand it being an issue of storytelling style.
It was the end that left me truely irritated. While I think Greenwood led us nicely to our murderer, she never resolved anything! There was no wrap-up section where she explains motives, means and method. I love hearing what our victim did to the murderer that led to a death. I love hearing what pushed them over the edge and how they took advantage of an opportunity. Greenwood makes a huge deal about this crime not being premeditated. She has Ellen going over it in her, but she never resolves what happened in the moment that led to the murder. She focuses more on a budding romance and PR for the tea house.
In the end, I think cozy mystery fans may enjoy this one. I may not read her next one, but it has made me want to pick up cozy mysteries again. ( )
  librarygurl | Oct 6, 2014 |

librarygurl | Oct 6, 2014 |
Summer means reading mystery novels for me, and right now I am slowly reading through the TBR pile. This was a recent purchase, and I am glad I read it. The setting was wonderful, and believable. The cast of characters was a delight. I loved following Ellen as she interacted with her staff, family, friends as she searched for the killer. What especially made me happy was how Ellen and Tony butted head, since he was a bit of a brute sometimes.

And, most of all it lacked my main pet peeve when it comes to mysteries: The plot wasn't bogged down with all the details of the main characters daily life. ( )
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cozy like mystery, but more character development would have helped the flow of the story. Rather unnecessary subplot involving a ghost made the book far less likeable, but overall a good plane read. ( )
  parelle | Mar 18, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A classic whodunit. Well written and entertaining mystery that captures the spirit of Santa Fe. ( )
  tgford | Mar 5, 2013 |
for the St. James Tearoom
The first day my tearoom opened was wonerful - mostly.

Cops drink coffee. They don't belong in Ellen Rosings's Victorian tearoom. But when her opening day thank-you tea ends in the murder of the president of the Santa Fe Preservation Trust, the police invade her haven. Enter Detective Tony Aragon: attractive and unsympathetic, with a chip on his shoulder that goes beyond the murder investigation, and Ellen's delicate bone china cup is full. Is the murderer one of her honored guests, or the ghost rumored to haunt the building? Will Ellen solve the mystery, or will the Wisteria Tearoom's premiere turn out to be its - and Ellen's - finale?… (more)

Pati Nagle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

24 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Fatal Twist of Lemon by Patrice Greenwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,363,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible