Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller

Colin Fischer (edition 2012)

by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz

Member:drholambda
Title:Colin Fischer
Authors:Ashley Edward Miller
Other authors:Zack Stentz
Info:Razorbill (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller (Author)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
ehh. i had to reAd it for school but i didnt enjoy it. it was confusing and hard for me to understand. it was kind of all over the place.

I like the set up. kind of felt like a kid wrote it. a fun setup. this book would have been better if it wasnt as overwhelming. events seamed to acted out or dramatized. wasnt to good of a book...
  audreys2019 | Oct 3, 2014 |
I understand it is supposed to be difficult to relate to Colin and his tendencies, but I found the other characters around him a bit overwrought. I have worked in public education for 10 years (including middle and high school) and never has anyone gotten their head stuck in a toilet. Some of the events just seemed overdramatized for the sake of the narrative, which made the entire novel hard to swallow. ( )
  amandacb | Feb 11, 2014 |
This novel is a 2014 Lone Star selection; it is realistic fiction. Colin Fischer has Asperger’s Syndrome and likes Sherlock Holmes. When a gun goes off in the cafeteria, Colin knows the wrong person was accused and he plans to investigate.

Because he has Asperger’s, Colin has trouble recognizing emotions; he has to keep a cheat sheet with facial expressions and their meaning with him at all times. He also keeps a notebook where he records what he sees all day. Some students consider him “strange” and have little to do with him, laugh at him, or bully him. Oddly, the student accused of setting a gun off in the cafeteria bullies Colin, but Colin is determined to prove he’s innocent. During his investigation, surprising relationships develop and Colin proves he is much like Sherlock, seeing clues and making correct conclusions.

I enjoyed the novel and liked his parents. They handled Colin well, letting him grow up and have independence but also support him due to his Asperger’s. I wouldn’t say this book is about Asperger’s, but it is important to understanding the character of Colin. It’s an engaging book and I recommend it, especially if you liked Fourth Stall. ( )
  acargile | Jan 28, 2014 |
A bit slow to get going but once we get to the mystery part, quite good. I love aspie lit so was a perfect fit for me. The only sticking point is a mixed mg/ya tone. Sometimes feels young, sometimes feels older. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |
Colin Fischer’s attempt to navigate the complex social network in his high school is complicated by his Asperger’s syndrome. The syndrome makes if difficult for him to read other students’ emotions, but it also provided him with the skills necessary to solve the mystery of who brought a gun to school. Hopefully, after this peek inside Colin’s world, readers will have increased empathy for students with Aspergers. Unfortunately, most of his classmates did not display anything close to empathy towards him.
  Lindsay_W | Jun 22, 2013 |

Miller, Ashley EdwardAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stentz, ZackAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"A boy with autism teams up with the high school bully to get to the bottom of a cafeteria crime"--Provided by publisher.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible