A Life With Books by Julian Barnes

A Life With Books

by Julian Barnes

24None440,720 (4.14)None

I've become more and more interested in reading about people's relationships with books and how they became bibliophiles. So reading Julian Barnes' essay about his life with books was very enjoyed to me. Barnes talks manly about become a collector of books but he does cover finding his love for books and reading as well.

It was interesting to read his opinion of books vs ereaders and the bit that stood out the most was when he said "books look like they contain knowledge while ereaders just look like they contain information". I thought this was an interesting point to finish up this book.

I would love to read more books or essays like this but I don't know what would be good so I need to find some recommendations. ( )
  knowledgelost | Mar 29, 2013 |
A short essay (27 pages) that describes Julian Barnes' first encounters with books, leading to obsessive book-collecting and time spent searching second-hand bookshops as he is a completist. It finishes with Julian Barnes telling us of his continuing attachment to physical books and physical bookshops, and his view that bookshops will have to learn to earn their keep. He also comments that books will have to become more desirable: not luxury goods but well designed, attractive and remember in later years that this was the edition in which we first encountered what lay inside.
This resonates very strongly for me, as I do remember the covers of many of the significant (to me) books I have read. And don't tell my wife, but if this is the case then I nearly always need to retain the original books when I buy better editions (usually beautiful Folio Society editions). ( )
1 vote CarltonC | Jul 15, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible