The Lady Most Willing...: A Novel in Three…

The Lady Most Willing...: A Novel in Three Parts (edition 2012)

by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Connie Brockway

Member:whitreidtan
Title:The Lady Most Willing...: A Novel in Three Parts
Authors:Julia Quinn
Other authors:Eloisa James, Connie Brockway
Info:Avon (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Lady Most Willing... by Julia Quinn (Contributor)

I love house party romances, and this one is lots of fun. The, um, eccentric uncle of three unmarried young men kidnaps four single ladies from a nearby house, brings them to his castle, and waits for romance to bloom. Not surprisingly, it does! Each story is written by a different author -- Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Connie Brockaway -- but they all fit together quite nicely. This is a fun Christmas read.

Thanks to Edelweiss for an ARC of this book.
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Enjoyable romp. ( )
  Jillian_Leigh | Jun 4, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Robin
Book provided by: Edelweiss
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

A wonderful novel in three parts…each story separate yet very complimentary of the next. Julia Quinn, Eloisa James and Connie Brockway found a very unique and refreshing way to tell a story.

What would you do if you had to in order to ensure that your family name is carried on? Would you go as far as hatching a rather risky plan to kidnap some heiresses to marry off to your nephews? I know, it seems a little farfetched but after all this is a time when things were done a little differently. Now you would probably go onto Match.com or some other such website and search. But, Lord Taran Ferguson didn’t have a computer so after downing a bottle of scotch he and his band of men hatched the plan to kidnap four young women from Bellmore Castle hoping to find two that his nephews would find suitable.

As most plans that are decided from a bottle of scotch this was no different and things took a different turn for poor Taran. I guess we shouldn’t say poor Taran because sometimes no matter how farfetched our efforts are they tend to have a way of working out. As Taran and his band left Bellmore Castle they got into the wrong coach only to pick up another unfortunate person in their scheme in the form of the Duke of Bretton who happened to be napping at the time. You think this would foul up Taran’s plans even more but no…I guess it is okay to say that the Scottish have their own share of luck. Having arrived at Finovair Castle just ahead of a huge snowstorm (of course), blocking all ways to the castle which helps Taran with his plan. That Scottish luck again. With the impeding storm they have nothing else to do but sit it out. This is where the fun so to speak takes place.

The first part of the story is written by Julia Quinn. She brings to of the innocent bystanders to life in her tale. Catriona Burns was at the ball but she wasn’t one that Taran had intended to kidnap. She may be a gently bred young woman she has one thing against her she is from a poor family. This surprised Taran as he wanted only wealthy women for his nephews. That being said it kind of works in her favor as she teams up with the Duke of Bretton, who is there by mistake, as they decide to amuse each other as they watch what unfolds before them. Only fate decides to throw them together as we are along to watch the flirty and fun way that they fall for one other. I enjoyed this most I think. Well…

As the second part unfolds we find the writing of Eloisa James as she takes on Fiona Chisholm. Fiona may be an heiress but she has shall we say a less than stellar reputation due to a previous fiancé who is no longer with us. With her red hair and glasses she thinks of herself as a wallflower especially when put next to her half-sister Marilla; who in her own right has decided to go through all the men to find the one who has the most money. Shall we say that Fiona isn’t the wallflower she thought herself to be as she catches the attention of Byron Wolton, one of the nephews that Taron wants to marry off. Byron being a little on the stodgy side is intrigued by the rather bookish, redhead who has a fiery spirit and ends up setting him on end. The beginning of a relationship filled with fierce love and lust running the gamut of emotions.

The last part of the story is written by Connie Brockway and deals with love at first sight. Taren’s last nephew is Robin Parles who happens to be the heir to Finovair Castle. Robin has the reputation of being a lady’s man so to speak. Some of it may not be warranted but once labeled said label tends to stick with you. Robin is pitted up against Cecily. She is one determined young lady who tends to be on the quiet side. We soon find that her determined side decides that if she is to find a husband she will do the choosing, she will not be chosen. She sets her sights on Robin, who because of his roguish ways thinks that he isn’t good enough for her. Cecily disagrees realizing she has her work cut out for her if she is to change his way of thinking.

As the snowstorm ceases the fathers of the girls storming the castle ready for war only to find that their daughters are extremely happy and as we have a… wouldn’t want to spoil the end. So I will let you read this story full of love for yourself.

So there you have what is to be a story that has something for the romantic in everyone. To me I found this to be Regency Romance at its best. I got so caught up in the lives of these wonderful characters that there were times I felt that it was written by one person instead of three separate authors. I think I will head out to read the first in the series entitled ‘The Lady Most Likely’ while I await the next book… ( )
  RtB | May 25, 2013 |
Scotland! Yay! The premise is super silly/cheesy, but I loved it! :)

Julia Quinn's 1/3

I'd say her part did the best job of describing how you could really "fall in love at first meaningful conversation." You could feel the magic that was happening between the two characters, and thus I thought that though the characters fell in love in under 24 hours, I thought it was the most believable. SUPER CUTE!!!

Eloisa James's 1/3

Her section was the longest, and I think she did the best job flushing the story out. There was a real issue to overcome between the hero and heroine. (Well, two... his upbringing and her reputation...) I wish there'd been a scene where she'd told him what really happened and he chose whether or not to believe her, rather than him finding out for certain the way he did... Also really really cute!

Connie Brockway's 1/3

Also very cute, but it was a bit too abrupt. Maybe because it was last and we have to believe that the hero's been angsting for the previous 3 or 4 days.... but I just didn't feel that enough. And some of the elements that moved the story forward felt a bit forced. (Mainly the chapel scene. What are the odds?) I did really really like the characters though! Super cute! And I liked the speeches they each gave near the end... hers questioning if he could stand all the pressure that would be put on their union and his telling her all that he'd put up with from others to be with her, as long as she knew why they were really together. Cute cute. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
The Lady Most Willing was a unique anthology style historical romance where there are three romances entwined in one tale and composed by three different authors. Set in 1819, Scotland at Finovair Castle; complete with men in kilts, this romantic tale was delightful, with just enough heat to keep you warm. This is the second book in the Lady Most series, but each can be read as a standalone and offer the same unique writing style.

The Comte De Rocheforte and his cousin the Earl of Oakley have come to their Uncle’s cold and drafty castle in Scotland to celebrate the holiday. Their Uncle Taran Ferguson is worried there will be no one to carry on his family’s line, if his two nephews do not marry and begin producing heirs post haste. On the eve of a horrific snow storm, he is drunk and comes up with an idea. A very clever idea and so he and his merry men crash a ball at the Bellemere Castle and snag four; single, rich, Scotswomen for his nephews to choose from as their brides! They unknowingly throw them into the carriage of the Duke of Bretton, who is sleeping one off inside. They travel quickly back to the castle, barely making it as the snowstorm closes the pass to his castle. The tale that unfolds was hilarious, sweet and filled with fascinating characters as they find themselves trapped for days as a winter storm rages outside.

The cast was delightful and the authors did an excellent job of fleshing them out. Each had a unique personality, a little back history and I easily formed opinions about them all. Each of the romances while taking place over a five to seven day window still managed to feel genuine. Maybe there was something in the air or water near this drafty old Scotland castle?

What a fun plot and I loved how the three romances smoothly transitioned within the tale. The authors did a wonderful job of collaborating. I loved the setting; I mean who does not want to spend time in a drafty, cold castle during a snowstorm with smexy men in Scotland? The different personalities made for some interesting scenes, and I adored some characters, and wanted to clock others. I enjoy it when the author(s) makes the characters real for me and that is exactly what happened in The Lady Most Willing.
I want to thank HarperCollins for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |

Quinn, JuliaContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brockway, ConnieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James, EloisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For our husbands . . . .

Paul. He might not throw cabers,
but give him a pair of scissors,
and he can slice a wasp in half in mid-air.
As far as I'm concerned, that the modern-dy equivalnt of slaing dragons
-JQ
Alessandro, because we met on a blind date,
and although it didn't take place in a Scottish castle,
one might argue that our characters
find themselves in a similarly happy situation.
-EJ
the good Dr. Brockway, whom I forgive
for not gaining a single pound since the day we wed.
No truer love has a woman than this.
-CB
Some said the legendary storm of 1819 that screamed down from the north pushed madness ahead of it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062107380, Mass Market Paperback)

At the behest of three of the most talented historical romance authors writing today, you are cordially invited to a ball. No, a party. No . . . a kidnapping.

Taran Ferguson, laird of his clan, is determined that his ancient (if not so honorable) birthright be secured before he dies. When both his nephews refuse to wed, the old reprobate takes matters into his own hands: he raids a ball and makes off with four likely brides . . .

Miss Marilla Chisholm—the bonniest lass in Scotland, and an heiress to boot.

Miss Fiona Chisholm—her older sister, another fine choice (but for that tiny stain on her reputation).

Lady Cecily Tarleton—true, she's an English beauty, but very, very rich.

Miss Catriona Burns—without name or fortune, clearly someone made a mistake.

Oh, yes. And one very irate duke.

Because somewhere there must be one lady most willing to love a Scottish lord.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:39 -0400)

"Taran Ferguson, laird of his clan, is determined that his ancient (if not so honorable) birthright be secured before he dies. When both his nephews refuse to wed, the old reprobate takes matters into his own hands: he raids a ball and makes off with four likely brides"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible