Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide…

Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lauren Leto

1952160,388 (3.45)14
Member:Bodagirl
Title:Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere
Authors:Lauren Leto (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 269 pages
Collections:Fiction, Romance, Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:books about books, reading, criticism, nonfiction, Book Riot, fiction

Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere by Lauren Leto (2012)

Like most collections of columns or blog posts, this is hit and miss. Unlike most collections of columns or blog posts, the hits are very good, and most of the misses are not that bad.

The only part that didn't really work for me is the "how to fake that you've read....". Most of the rest was quite delightful, particularly the pieces where Leto examines her own childhood and familial relations to books.

She is a good writer, and I enjoy her snark and her eye for skewering character, so I suspect I'd probably enjoy reading anything else she writes. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
There were moments when I felt that the tone of this book was beyond me - and that Leto was perhaps part of the Literati that she so mocks - but all in all, it kept my attention - I read it in spurts during my breaks at work (a library, of course) and there are two passages quite near the end that really made me love this funny little book. I definitely recommend it as some light, enjoyable reading for people who love books ... and haven't read all the "classics" everyone assumes. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Series of humorous essays on reading and readers. Tips on how to cheat that you've read certain authors and books. Universal truths that if you are a reader you can relate to. I enjoyed it. Certain essays made me chuckle. I realize that my reading tastes and hers are different. I haven't read many of the books or authors that she has but I could relate to what she said. Fun! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 28, 2016 |
A funny read about being a reader with advice on appearing "well read". I don't totally agree with the author's definition of well read and some of the "fake it" section went on a bit long for me but mostly enjoyable.
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
The first book I ever loved was a book about a monster in a child's closet.
Author's Note: Let me be plain when I state that my judgments, wisecracks, and sarcastic comments come from a place of deap admiration for every one of the authors whose work I discuss in these pages. There is nothing more beautiful than a well-written book, and there is nothing more admirable than the attempt to create something beautiful.
Life happens alongside the act of reading - a story is forever lixed with where we were and what we were doing while we were reading that book
The day I change my reading habits to preserve the appearance of my books is the day I start to die inside, for surely I'll have stopped loving to read.
Literature connects by transporting people to the same consciousness; a stranger the same book you've read, whose eyes passed over the same words, may be part of a completely different environment, and even time, but for a while, at least, they shared a world with you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062070142, Paperback)

Want to impress the hot stranger at the bar who asks for your take on Infinite Jest? Dying to shut up the blowhard in front of you who’s pontificating on Cormac McCarthy’s “recurring road narratives”? Having difficulty keeping Francine Prose and Annie Proulx straight?

For all those overwhelmed readers who need to get a firm grip on the relentless onslaught of must-read books to stay on top of the inevitable conversations that swirl around them, Lauren Leto’s Judging a Book by Its Lover is manna from literary heaven! A hilarious send-up of—and inspired homage to—the passionate and peculiar world of book culture, this guide to literary debate leaves no reader or author unscathed, at once adoring and skewering everyone from Jonathan Franzen to Ayn Rand to Dostoyevsky and the people who read them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:49 -0400)

"Want to impress the hot stranger at the bar who asks for your take on Infinite Jest? Dying to shut up the blowhard in front of you who's pontificating on Cormac McCarthy's "recurring road narratives"? Having difficulty keeping Francine Prose and Annie Proulx straight? For all those overwhelmed readers who need to get a firm grip on the relentless onslaught of must-read books to stay on top of the inevitable conversations that swirl around them, Lauren Leto's Judging a Book by Its Lover is manna from literary heaven! A hilarious send-up of--and inspired homage to--the passionate and peculiar world of book culture, this guide to literary debate leaves no reader or author unscathed, at once adoring and skewering everyone from Jonathan Franzen to Ayn Rand to Dostoyevsky and the people who read them"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,397,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible