Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide…

Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lauren Leto

Member:Bodagirl
Title:Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere
Authors:Lauren Leto (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 269 pages
Collections:Fiction, Romance, Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:books about books, reading, criticism, nonfiction, Book Riot, fiction

Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere by Lauren Leto (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, katantonelli, shartman, jaimienoy, andieaaase, LacyLK

A funny read about being a reader with advice on appearing "well read". I don't totally agree with the author's definition of well read and some of the "fake it" section went on a bit long for me but mostly enjoyable.
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This was a book bullet I think, but sadly turned out not to be for me - unexpectedly, I actually got more out of [[Francine Prose]]. [Reading Like a Writer] may have felt snobby, but it was passionate and honest; I don't share Prose's taste in Chekhov, but I understand her love of books. Leto's work reads (perhaps unsurprisingly, given her background) like a snarky collection of blog posts for a select audience in on some joke that I never quite grasped.

It might just be some hidden cultural chasm - Leto snarks mostly about modern American literati who I've neither read nor aspired to read. But even her short-form snark - 3-word or 3-line demolition of a broader range of authors, books and their readers - didn't make it across that gap. In the UK at least, we don't have some hidden suspicion that girls who like Austen are bi-curious (huh?) so such jokes fell very flat.

While Leto is clearly well-read (not genre fiction though; that's the domain of teenage boys in black with unwashed long hair, apparently), her love for fiction eluded me, buried beneath the snark. Perhaps it's all very loving snark - she and James Frey may have some longstanding Twitter flirt feud - but I couldn't tell. I'm left with (snark alert!) an impression of her as the loud, bitchy one in the corner at parties, toasting you ironically for having the wrong opinions. Which is ironic in itself, given her opinions of such people.

I'd much rather have coffee with her Mum. ( )
  imyril | Sep 8, 2015 |
The first book I ever loved was a book about a monster in a child's closet.
Author's Note: Let me be plain when I state that my judgments, wisecracks, and sarcastic comments come from a place of deap admiration for every one of the authors whose work I discuss in these pages. There is nothing more beautiful than a well-written book, and there is nothing more admirable than the attempt to create something beautiful.
Life happens alongside the act of reading - a story is forever lixed with where we were and what we were doing while we were reading that book
The day I change my reading habits to preserve the appearance of my books is the day I start to die inside, for surely I'll have stopped loving to read.
Literature connects by transporting people to the same consciousness; a stranger the same book you've read, whose eyes passed over the same words, may be part of a completely different environment, and even time, but for a while, at least, they shared a world with you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062070142, Paperback)

Want to impress the hot stranger at the bar who asks for your take on Infinite Jest? Dying to shut up the blowhard in front of you who’s pontificating on Cormac McCarthy’s “recurring road narratives”? Having difficulty keeping Francine Prose and Annie Proulx straight?

For all those overwhelmed readers who need to get a firm grip on the relentless onslaught of must-read books to stay on top of the inevitable conversations that swirl around them, Lauren Leto’s Judging a Book by Its Lover is manna from literary heaven! A hilarious send-up of—and inspired homage to—the passionate and peculiar world of book culture, this guide to literary debate leaves no reader or author unscathed, at once adoring and skewering everyone from Jonathan Franzen to Ayn Rand to Dostoyevsky and the people who read them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:49 -0400)

"Want to impress the hot stranger at the bar who asks for your take on Infinite Jest? Dying to shut up the blowhard in front of you who's pontificating on Cormac McCarthy's "recurring road narratives"? Having difficulty keeping Francine Prose and Annie Proulx straight? For all those overwhelmed readers who need to get a firm grip on the relentless onslaught of must-read books to stay on top of the inevitable conversations that swirl around them, Lauren Leto's Judging a Book by Its Lover is manna from literary heaven! A hilarious send-up of--and inspired homage to--the passionate and peculiar world of book culture, this guide to literary debate leaves no reader or author unscathed, at once adoring and skewering everyone from Jonathan Franzen to Ayn Rand to Dostoyevsky and the people who read them"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible