My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall

My Mother Was Nuts (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Penny Marshall

Title:My Mother Was Nuts
Authors:Penny Marshall
Info:New Harvest (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall (2012)

Born in the Bronx to a mother who owned a dance studio, Penny Marshall has been in show business almost her entire life. Known best for her role as Laverne in Laverne and Shirley, she became a well-respected movie director, specializing in lighthearted and uplifting stories -- Jumpin' Jack Flash, Big, Awakenings, A League of Their Own, Renaissance Man, The Preacher's Wife, and Riding in Cars with Boys. She has not directed since 2001.

This memoir is also lighthearted, mostly humorous and somewhat uplifting … if you don’t count drug use, promiscuous sex, and an overuse of the F-word. Ms. Marshall never goes into detail about those events in her life, but doesn’t try to hide them, either. Ms. Marshall is obviously NOT an introspective person and, therefore, the book is not as insightful as most memoirs. It's an easy read, and not too taxing, A friend at our non-fiction book group recommended this book. She said "it has its moments." A few. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 27, 2015 |
Reader's accent was a turnoff. May try book at another time ( )
  jamespurcell | Jun 6, 2015 |
What a pain in the ass this woman is. Her Personal Assistant could have taken a collection of her daily agendas & put this boring, name-dropping, super-superficial thing together. I got it because of the title, and yes, Penny's mother was an interesting kook. The rest of it . . . snoresville. The Hollywood scene a total drag -- but perfect for Ms. M. (I've never seen one instant of Laverne & Shirley, thank god). But I always need an inconsequential book to read for a few minutes before I sleep, while my brain shuts down. Boy, was this ideal. ( )
  C-WHY | Jan 17, 2015 |
Very enjoyable memoir. I enjoyed both the section on growing up in NY because that's where I grew up and also her discussion of her experiences in television and movie-making. I wasn't a fan of Laverne and Shirley but I liked her movies, especially A League of their Own. ( )
1 vote phyllis2779 | Aug 8, 2014 |
Borrowed this from the Kindle library, just for a change of pace. There's no doubt that Penny Marshall is amusing, but she has an irritating habit of repeating herself--it's a bit like listening to my grandmother tell stories. But they are amusing stories, if you can get past the drug use and swearing. I was glad I didn't pay for this one.

More and other reviews on fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547892624, Hardcover)

Penny Marshall's Photo Album

Click on thumbnails for larger images

Penny and Rob Reiner cutting the cake at their 1971 backyard Hollywood wedding.   Penny with her close friend John Belushi in New York in 1976. John passed away in 1982.   Art Garfunkel on a motorcycle trip through France and Italy with Penny.   Penny with her daughter, Tracy; Tracy’s husband, Matt; and their children Spencer, Bella, and Viva in 2011.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:05 -0400)

From her humble roots in the Bronx to "Laverne and Shirley" and her unlikely ascent in Hollywood, the beloved actor and director tells the story of her incredible life.

129 wanted1 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,950,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible