My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall

My Mother Was Nuts (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Penny Marshall

128None95,689 (3.52)6
Member:barb302
Title:My Mother Was Nuts
Authors:Penny Marshall
Info:New Harvest (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall (2012)

Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2013/09/my-mother-was-nuts.html

My Mother Was Nuts is Penny Marshall's memoir, starting in her childhood and going through almost the present. She starts with the fact that she was an unwanted child. She talks about her childhood in the Bronx, her pregnancy and her daughter, her marriages, her abortion, her bout with cancer, and, of course, the trajectory of her amazing career.

I grew up watching Penny Marshall - from cameos on The Odd Couple, Mary Tyler Moore, and Happy Days to Laverne and Shirley. Her movie Big is one of my all time favorite movies.

I came to this memoir expecting to find the same humor and joy as I find in her work. I did not. I am not sure whether that is because, of course, life and the movies is not TV, or because I watched those shows with the eyes of a child and now as an adult, it does not hold the same appeal.

For me, this book has a sad undertone running throughout. It starts at the beginning with her mother stating, "You were a miscarriage, but you were stubborn and held on." She refers to her grandmother as "our building's witch lady." About her divorce from Rob Reiner, she say "Maybe, though, in the end, I did make him sick."

In the dedication, the end of the book, the acknowledgements, Penny Marshall credits the people in her life as what she treasures the most and the the fact that "I've been given my five minutes ... and then some." This tribute seems somewhat inconsistent with the sad, sometimes negative thoughts through out the book. That's family reality, I suppose - the good and the bad and that you can't take one without the other. I, however, cannot shake the sadness of some of what she describes and how she describes it.

*** Reviewed for the GoodReads First Reads program *** ( )
  njmom3 | Sep 27, 2013 |
Really enjoyed this book!!! ( )
  ownedbycats | Sep 1, 2013 |
If Penny Marshall ever writes one more word I want to read it. I loved this book. She writes like she is sitting and talking to you in her living room. I only wish she had time and space to write down more stories of her life. What a wild ride she has had. Just the number of people she knows and the stories of all the things she has done is fascinating to me. But, even with all the big names and famous people in her life Penny is so down to earth and "normal" that you feel like if she met you she would invite you to lunch or let you stay at her house if you needed to.

Great stories and a fun and easy read. May Penny live another 68 years and write about them all again. ( )
  Daiseyb | Mar 31, 2013 |
ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Not surprisingly, this is a funny, irreverent book by Penny Marshall, mostly about her life. Not overly well written, and kind of stream of consciousness, but an easy enjoyable read. ( )
  cherybear | Mar 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547892624, Hardcover)

Penny Marshall's Photo Album

Click on thumbnails for larger images

Penny and Rob Reiner cutting the cake at their 1971 backyard Hollywood wedding.   Penny with her close friend John Belushi in New York in 1976. John passed away in 1982.   Art Garfunkel on a motorcycle trip through France and Italy with Penny.   Penny with her daughter, Tracy; Tracy’s husband, Matt; and their children Spencer, Bella, and Viva in 2011.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:41 -0400)

From her humble roots in the Bronx to "Laverne and Shirley" and her unlikely ascent in Hollywood, the beloved actor and director tells the story of her incredible life.

142 wanted1 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible