The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for…

The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down (edition 2012)

by Andrew McCarthy (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down
Authors:Andrew McCarthy (Author)
Info:The Free Press (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:non-fiction, library, read, travel, biography

The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down by Andrew McCarthy

Recently added bygaby317, cait0626, private library, dramady, fbj1s, Swade0710, OGCL2013, Katj243, Tonelado, Panza314

Who of our generation hasn't heard of Andrew McCarthy? His early movies and Brat Pack reputation marked him as one of the actors that I'd followed in my teens (Pretty in Pink, Taps, St. Elmo's Fire, and Less Than Zero). He'd represented an uncertain, sensitive, slightly lost youth. I read his memoir The Longest Way Home largely because I wanted to know more about the actor in his youth.

Andrew McCarthy's writing is clear, vivid, and well crafted. His book is part travelogue and part memoir as he explains his difficulty committing to the mother of his daughter and the woman that he loves. As he talks about the places that he visits, he shares the role that travel and writing has played in his life - both in finding himself and helping him interact with the people he cares about. We are taken to Patagonia, the Amazon, the Osa, Vienna, Baltimore, Kilimanjaro, and Dublin.

While The Longest Way Home does give us better insight into Andrew McCarthy, even as a longtime fan of sorts I wasn't invested in learning or delving into his issues. I think for someone looking for travel writing and with a deep fondness for Andrew McCarthy, the book will prove a satisfying read. Personally, I had a hard time finishing it. ( )
  gaby317 | Jun 13, 2014 |
The longest way home was better than I hoped it would be. I have read a number of travel stories by Andrew McCarthy and always enjoyed them but this book explains how the author an 80's movie icon become a travel writer, and even better it surprises the reader by exposing you to the insecurities and difficulties that Andrew has and how they have not only shaped who he is as a father, but also as a soon to be husband for the second time. If you are looking for a book about the movies he was in look elsewhere, this is not that book, but if you want to read a book where an author lays out how difficult he can make things for himself and those around him, while at the same time learning from his experiences and as an added bonus learn a out some of the interesting places he has visited, then you will enjoy this book. ( )
  zmagic69 | Aug 8, 2013 |
It has taken me a long time to finish this book. It isnt badly written. I just could not get interested in it. I have read other travelogues that I enjoyed so I dont think that the format was an issue and I was very interested in the author's inner struggle with committment. I think the two aspects of this book did not mesh well together. I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads ( )
  lmcalister | Jul 16, 2013 |
Andrew McCarthy is an actor I remember from my teenage years, a man who features on a few of my favourite movies. So when I saw that he had a travel book that was about him dealing with his issues around marriage I was intrigued, when I read it I was charmed.

I do empathise with his feeling of being twitchy in crowds and lonely within groups, I know that feeling all too well myself. In this he explores being in foreign countries, actually working for the National Geographic Traveler, and recounting some of his adventures, alongside his relationship with his now-wife and then-fiancee, and with his own issues and through these travels he comes to terms with himself and with his relationships with the people closest to him.

I enjoyed the read, loved the bits about dealing with his issues and with the wedding and D's dealings with him, which came across as very Irish without being twee.

I would recommend it. Not quite five star but damn close ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 26, 2013 |
Andrew McCarthy, actor, director and travel writer has written a memoir concentrating on his inability to come to terms with settling down and being married (a second time) and maybe being a more responsible man. Although, I did enjoy the eighties films he was in; it was the title of this book that really intrigued me. I wasn’t sure what I would find but enjoyed the stories of his travels around the globe describing in detail places I know I will never travel to. He touches a bit on his acting and his quick rise to fame; his drinking problem; his need for solitude and his dysfunctional relationship with his family. I felt as I was reading this book, it was a journal for the author to come to terms with not only becoming a husband (although they have been together for a long time) but also terms with his life of uncertainly. It shows that he is as human as the rest of us. ( )
1 vote grumpydan | Jan 27, 2013 |

The author, a travel writer and actor, delivers a memoir about how travel helped him become the man he wanted to be, helping him overcome life-long fears and confront his resistance to commitment. From time immemorial, travel has been a pursuit of passion, from adventurers of old seeking gold or new lands, to today's spiritual and pleasure seekers who follow in the footsteps of Elizabeth Gilbert. Some see travel as a form of light-hearted escapism while others believe it has the power to open your mind, forcing you to confront your demons, and discover your true self. The author belongs to this second category of traveler. His memoir follows his excursions to Patagonia, the Amazon, Costa Rica, Baltimore, Vienna, Kilimanjaro, Dublin, and beyond. He uses his wanderlust to examine his motives and desires, and explore his ambivalence about commitment. He ponders his personal life, his acting career, and his impulse to leave home, all building toward one of the most significant moments of his life: his wedding day. His message about the transformative power of travel is universal, and his exploration of the nature and passion of relationships, both fleeting and enduring, strikes a chord with every man and woman who has ever wondered at the vicissitudes of the human heart.… (more)

79 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,651,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible