Big Sky River (The Parable) by Linda Lael…

Big Sky River (The Parable) (edition 2012)

by Linda Lael Miller

Member:jo2son
Title:Big Sky River (The Parable)
Authors:Linda Lael Miller
Info:Harlequin HQN (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read in 2012, ebook, NetGalley, romance, sheriff, Montana, widower, chickens

Big Sky River by Linda Lael Miller

A touching story about two unlikely individuals, falling in love with each other, despite their wounded, unhealed lives.

Audio: Jack Garrett does an acceptable narration of this story. ( )
  Conkie | Feb 9, 2014 |
I fell in love with Boone, because he’s real. People grieve in different ways. When his wife died it was hard for him to accept. He folded! It was good that he had his sister and brother-in-law to step in. At that point in his life he’d lost both parents at the same time, followed a few years later by his young wife.

When he went to bring his sons back to Parable, it was the beginning of his rebirth. Even though they were his sons, he was scared out of his mind, with the thought of raising them. The growth/change in him was the best part of the book.

As far as Dr. James Lennox goes, the only thing he did right was to give Tara temporary custody. Comparing Boone and James, the sheriff gets to gold and the doctor doesn’t place. I would have felt better about him, had he married Bethany and had more children. There was no positive growth here at all. ( )
  sultrydiva | Aug 22, 2013 |
I am in love with the townsfolk of Parable Montana. Big Sky River is book three in Linda Lael Miller’s Swoon-Worthy Cowboy series and yea-ha it was good to return. Each can be read as a standalone, but if you are like me and want to know all of the side characters and their stories go for book one first. This book focuses on Sheriff Boone Taylor and his city-born neighbor Tara Kendall. Since the first novel Big Sky Country these two have butted heads and it was lovely reading their story. As always once I started reading, I could not put it down and consumed this in a few hours.

Boon Taylor has loved and lost. Right now he needs to focus on his two fragile young sons and his career as the local Sheriff. He has friends, a double wide and is not looking for romance. His next door neighbor Tara Kendall, a city slicker determined to reinvent herself after a divorce that left her mourning the loss of her step-daughters but not the man who fathered them. She and her neighbor Boone have butted heads more than once and his run-down property is an eye-sore to her view of the river. If you told her she’d be thinking about kissing the man, she’d call you crazy; but fate has different ideas. The tale had suspense, tragedy, a little romance and a few hot moments.

I have come to love the characters in this small town and their sense of community. I have always been interested in quite reserved, Boone Taylor and was delighted to get his story. He is noble, loves hard and is completely swoon-worth. We get to see the softer, damaged and fragile side of him. His hurt felt so real. Tara is delightful and has made good friends in town. Despite her initial fear of her chickens she has made a success if not unique living off them. Her snarky interactions with Boone were hilarious and when she realized she was attracted to him, her inner thoughts had me giggling. Opal the town matchmaker is up to her usually tricks and of course other lovable characters from the first two books are threaded into this tale and I loved reading about the developments in their lives. Boone’s kids were adorable as were the twins. Several events happen in town and as always I enjoyed these side stories.

The romance in Big Sky River was sweet, but I wanted more scenes with this couple. I loved the tension and awkwardness these two felt around each other. It was precious and sometimes downright hilarious.Their relationship felt genuine and I enjoyed watching it unfold. Other threads in their storyline were suspenseful and kept me turning the pages. While I felt assured I would get my happily ever after, the ride there was fun and full of twists. Miller has created a town in Montana that reminds me of Robin Carr’s Virgin River series with flesh out characters you want to visit time and time again.

I want to thank Harlequin for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
I liked this book best of the trilogy. Maybe because it's the final book and tied all the stories together. I usually read books with a great deal more action. This book was more true to life. Experiences that could happen to anybody and yet in the end Boone and Tara end up "happily together ever after". ( )
  twylyghtbay | Mar 8, 2013 |
Why did I not enjoy this book! ugh!

I am a Linda Lael Miller fan (have read most - if not all - of her books) but I just could not get into this book. I was turned off by Boone from the start (which may have been the main problem.) The fact that he had almost completely dropped out of his sons' life (even though he had his reasons) made it hard for me to like him.

And, while I enjoyed Tara's character, I didn't think the story connected between her & Boone very well. Maybe a bit rushed and predictable? (I kept thinking I had read this story before.) Even though I really wanted to like this book, I must admit (after walking away from it several times) had to force myself to even finish it.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley. ( )
  Books007 | Feb 4, 2013 |
Reviewed by Jen
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I’ve been a longtime fan of Linda Lael Miller and this story didn’t disappoint. It’s the third in her series based in Parable, Montana, but it stands well on it’s own. Like most series, it would be helpful to have read the prior books for a little back ground of the supporting characters. But there is no overarcing theme to where the reader would be lost if they were making their first visit to Parable with this book.

Big Sky River was a pretty fast read. The story is all about the romance between Tara and Boone. There’s no mystery, suspense or even a third party trying to tear them apart. It’s a straight forward tale of two people having to overcome their own hangups to find love. But that said, I was drawn into the story pretty quickly and read it in one sitting because I just had to get to the happily ever after.

Boone’s a widower and still hasn’t gotten over his wife’s death. In his grief, he sent his two young sons to live with their aunt and uncle. But now a family emergency has those boys coming home. He’s not sure how to deal with the kids, especially since he’s the town sheriff. And then there is Tara, his new neighbor. She’s a big city girl who has moved to Parable after leaving her marriage and career. She’s settling into town, making friends and trying not to notice her neighbor, but things get all turned upside down when her step daughters come to visit.

I wasn’t sure how Ms Miller was going to bring together Boone and Tara. Both characters had issues to overcome as the dealt with their attraction. And neither really wanted to fall in love after past heartbreak. They were both very relateable, which made their story so sweet and in the end satisfying.

I am always happy to recommend a Linda Lael Miller book. Although at times her stories can be cookie-cutter (how many times can you base a series on a couple brothers and their friend who all live in a small town?), I still find them to be good, solid reads and each unique in their own way. Ms Miller always seems to touch my heart-strings, which is why I look forward to whatever is coming next.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Jen (Jan 27, 2013)

Miller, Linda Laelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garrett, JackReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373777205, Mass Market Paperback)

Sheriff Boone Taylor has his job, friends, a run-down but decent ranch, two faithful dogs and a good horse. He doesn't want romance—the widowed Montanan has loved and lost enough for a lifetime. But when a city woman buys the spread next door, Boone's peace and quiet are in serious jeopardy.

With a marriage and a career painfully behind her, Tara Kendall is determined to start over in Parable. Reinventing herself and living a girlhood dream is worth the hard work. Sure, she might need help from her handsome, wary neighbor. But life along Big Sky River is full of surprises…like falling for a cowboy-lawman who just might start to believe in second chances.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:48 -0400)

Sheriff Boone Taylor has his job, friends, a run-down but decent ranch, two faithful dogs and a good horse. He doesn't want romance--the widowed Montanan has loved and lost enough for a lifetime. But when a city woman buys the spread next door, Boone's peace and quiet are in serious jeopardy. With a marriage and a career painfully behind her, Tara Kendall is determined to start over in Parable. Reinventing herself and living a girlhood dream is worth the hard work. Sure, she might need help from her handsome, wary neighbor. But life along Big Sky River is full of surprises...like falling for a cowboy-lawman who just might start to believe in second chances.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,235,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible