The Deposit Slip by Todd M. Johnson

The Deposit Slip (edition 2012)

by Todd M. Johnson

Member:mookiekat
Title:The Deposit Slip
Authors:Todd M. Johnson
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Deposit Slip, The by Todd M. Johnson

After Erin's father dies she comes across a deposit slip for $10,000,000 but the bank has denied all knowledge so she needs a lawyer to fight for her.

Meanwhile fed up of corporate life Jared sets up his own legal practice with a shoe-string budget. Life is tough and he's just getting by so Erin's case could make all the difference.

To take up the case means returning to his home town, a place he left as soon as possible ashamed of his father's behaviour. The town however is against him as the bank could make things very difficult for everyone so finding people to help the case isn't going to be easy. I really loved the librarian Mrs Huddleston who manages to pour oil on troubled waters on more than one occasion.

The end did seem rather rushed and contrived but that is my only real problem with this book.

With powerful characterisation and courtroom scenes this is a winner especially considering it's a first book. If you're a fan of John Grisham then you will enjoy this book ( )
  Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
“The Deposit Slip” by Todd M. Johnson is a mystery novel that keeps you in suspense throughout the entire book. I found it reminiscent of “The Firm” by Grisham. The reason I say that is because this is the story of a young lawyer, Jared Neaton, a former member of a very prestigious law firm, who takes the case of a young woman who is trying to close her father’s estate. Erin is cleaning out his safety deposit box at the local bank and finds a deposit slip in the amount of $10.3 million dollars. She tries to get the money from the bank, but there is no record of the account number or any record of such a deposit. Each attorney that Erin engages decides to drop her and the case for unknown reasons. Jared is persuaded to take the case by his former mentor at the law firm in return for part of the settlement fee. The more Jared investigates the case, the more strange things happen.

I found this book to be highly entertaining and impossible to put down. Every minute I could spare, I read a few sentences or pages. I HAD to find out what was going on. I assure you that this book will grab and keep your interest throughout. I am looking forward to reading more from Mr. Johnson.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book in return for my honest review from Bethany House Publishers.

You can read this review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-8y. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
I love legal suspense and am so glad that I came across a new author to add to my favorites. From the opening sentences of The Deposit Slip, I knew this was a book I would love.

Jared Neaton is still trying to recover emotionally and financially from the break-out case that didn’t happen. When he is approached with another legal puzzle, he is intrigued. But as he gets to know the people and facts involved with a mysterious deposit slip, he finds he can’t step away. Adding to the legal maze, is the return to his hometown and the strained relationship with his father. Danger also starts to dog his steps, but Jared is determined to see justice served.

The Deposit Slip has a lot to recommend it — underdog client, conspiracies reaching from small town to Washington, D.C., and a lawyer struggling with forgiveness. Johnson’s novel is right up there with the best of Randy Singer and Robert Whitlow. So if you are looking for a new voice and a great read, check out The Deposit Slip. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 27, 2013 |
Put yourself in Erin Larson's place. What would you do if you found a deposit slip for $10.3 million in your deceased father's safety deposit box? Mr. Larson had not lived the life of a millionaire. The bank denies any knowledge of the deposit. Seeking answers as to the whereabouts of the money she tries to hire an attorney, but this brings "intimidation and threats". The Deposit Slip, a legal thriller by Todd M. Johnson, is the story of what happens when Jared Neaton agrees to take the case.

Jared had left the large law firm that represents Erin's father's bank. He had opened his own practice and was struggling financially. His old mentor referred the case to him asking only for a referral fee if Jared actually found the money. Erin could not provide any money up front and taking this case was financially risky, but if he wins his financial worries are over. Another coincidence was that Jared had grown up in the same town where Mr. Larson had lived and banked. Jared's memories of his hometown were overshadowed by his father's crime and the fact that his father still lives there, but he is forced to return in order to prepare for a trial. Jared's search for the truth about the money becomes dangerous and is filled with twists and turns. Jared finds more than even he bargained for.

The author brings to the reader a finely crafted story. There is natural dialogue between the well developed and interesting characters. The story includes conflict, tension and surprise which make this a fast moving book. In my opinion, this is a book worth reading.

I received this book free of charge from Bethany House Publishers and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Jul 15, 2013 |
At the risk of loosing everything he has, Jared Neaton, a young lawyer, on the verge of bankruptcy takes on a case in which the only evidence he has is a worn old deposit slip and the feeling deep in his gut that something isn't right. A deposit slip for 10 million dollars that seemed to just vanish into this air. Money that doesn't exist except if this were true someone is going to an awful lot of trouble to conceal the transaction ever took place. With the decision to take on the case comes a trip back in time for Jared to his home town and a revisitation of old wounds and a time in his life he'd much rather forget. Can Jared find the evidence in time to avoid loosing everything? Can he stay alive long enough to prove he has what it takes to beat his old colleages? Read this exciting new thriller from a new author and find out. ( )
  mookiekat | Jun 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209868, Paperback)

This Gripping Legal Thriller Is a Perfect Summer Read

When Jared Neaton grew tired of the shady ethics of his big law firm and left to go out on his own, he never expected the wheels to fly off so quickly. One big case collapsing on him has pushed him to the brink and it's all he can do to scrape by. He can't risk another bad loss.

Erin Larson is running out of options. In the wake of her father's death, she found a slim piece of paper--a deposit slip--with an unbelievable amount on it. Ten million dollars. Only the bank claims it has no record of the deposit and stonewalls her attempts to find out more. This lawsuit, her last chance, has brought only intimidation and threats. Now she needs to convince Jared to take a risk, to help her because the money is real. And both need to watch their backs as digging deeper unleashes something far more dangerous than just threats.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

"Erin Larson is running out of options. In the wake of her father's death, she found a slim piece of paper--a deposit slip--with an unbelievable amount on it. Only the bank claims they have no record of the money, and trying to hire a lawyer has brought only intimidation and threats. Erin's last chance is Jared Neaton. When Jared wearied of the shady ethics of his big law firm and started his own, he never expected the wheels to fly off so quickly. One big loss has pushed him to the brink, and it's all he can do to scrape by. He's not sure if Erin's case is worth the risk, but if the money is real, all his problems could vanish. When digging deeper unleashes something far more dangerous than just threats, both Jared and Erin must decide the cost they're willing to pay to discover the truth" -- Cover verso.… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible