The Uninvited by Heather Graham

The Uninvited

by Heather Graham

What's It About?
1777: In the throes of the Revolutionary War, Landon Mansion is commandeered by British Lord "Butcher" Bedford. He stabs Lucy Tarleton—who spurned his king and his love—leaving her to die in her father's arms.

NOW: After the day's final tour, docent Allison Leigh makes her rounds while locking up…and finds a colleague slumped over Bedford's desk, impaled on his own replica bayonet. Resident ghosts may be the stock-in-trade of stately Philadelphia homes, but Allison—a noted historian—is indignant at the prospect of "ghost hunters" investigating this apparent murder.

Agent Tyler Montague knows his haunting and his history. While Allison is skeptical of the newcomer, a second mysterious murder occurs. Has "Butcher" Bedford resurfaced...or is there another malevolent force at work in Landon Mansion? Wary...yet deeply attracted... Allison has to trust in Tyler and work with him to discover just what uninvited guest...dead or alive...has taken over the house...or their lives could become history!

What Did I Think?
I couldn't say anything bad about this series if I tried. It was a reread for me and I enjoyed it as much the second...or was it the third? time round as I did the first. Love ghost stories and this entire series is ghostly. The people that compose the Krewe of Hunters have unique gifts that appeal to the sense of the supernatural. There is usually a little history before the "NOW" part... and the history of Philadelphia and the Revolutionary War that was woven into the story was as fascinating as the ghost itself. This series will appeal to those that love history, romance, mystery, suspense, and of course the main dish...a excellent ghost story. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 7, 2017 |
I didn't like this one as well as the others in the series. I think it was just me. A lot of history in this one, which I liked and it was related to the story line. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This story surrounds the Tarleton-Dandridge House in Philadelphia where in 1777 Patriot Lucy Tarleton was killed by her British lover, Lord Bedford. At least that's what history tells us. In present day Allison Leigh a docent of the house is about to encounter death, murder, ghosts and one seriously hunky Agent Tyler Montague.

The Uninvited was an excellent read. I loved the background and history. Allison & Tyler are quite an interesting pair. The romance was slow going, but definitely worth the wait. Between the house, past and present death all made a great mystery. I thought for sure I knew who did it, but I was so shocked at the reveal. I was way off. Ms Graham is a grand storyteller. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Aug 27, 2015 |
Book 8 in the Krewe of Hunters series. This story takes place in Philadelphia where the 2nd team of the Krewe of Hunters is called in because of a death at the Tarleton-Dandridge House. Docent Allison Leigh discovers a body after she closes the house for the day. Tyler Montague from the Krewe is sent to investigate to see if there is something unusual going on in the house or was this death an accident or a suicide. Lots of interesting history on the Revolutionary War and of course the twists and turns of a good mystery. This is a good series and I like this story very much. I wanted to keep reading. ( )
  DunnFunKat | Oct 1, 2013 |
Listened for Review
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 3.75

Audio Rating: 4.00 (Not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Uninvited ended on a really strong note and made me hope that there are more Krewe books in the future!

What I thought of the Case: The Uninvited served up one of the strongest cases in the Krewe series. I really loved the mixture of a historical case with a current case. I didn't even get close to guessing who was involved in the murders happening in modern times. The Uninvited takes place in the historic Tarleton house in Philadelphia. I couldn't find that this was an actual house but the amount of detail made the house real to me. That is one of my favorite things about Heather Graham's writing, she just draws me a perfect picture of the places involved in her stories. The case was well paced, thrilling, and had an explosive ending.

What I thought of the Characters. The Uninvited was about Agent Tyler Montague and Allison Leigh. I love Tyler, he is one of my favorite Krewe members but I had a problem with Allison till about the 2/3rds spot. I love that she was a historian and very serious about it. However, she was a little to judgmental (of the Krewe), mean (to Tyler), and snippy (to just about everyone) for me. I wanted to like her but it took a very long time! The last 1/3 of the The Uninvited was a fantastic reversal in fortune where Allison was concerned. It was when she really began to grow on me! Did not take long after that before I really wanted Tyler and Allison to be together. The romance ended on a very strong note.

What I thought of the Audio: Narrated by the brilliant Luke Daniels at a running time of 8 hrs and 54 mins this was another great entry to the series. While I had a bit of a problem with a few of the voices, Luke is still probably the single most dependable narrator I can think of in the audiobook world.

Final Thought: The Uninvited is that last in this set of Krewe of Hunter books. I really hope there ends up being more.
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778313700, Mass Market Paperback)

Agent Tyler Montague knows his hauntings and his history. But while Allison is skeptical of the newcomer, a second mysterious murder occurs. Has "Butcher" Bedford resurfaced? Or is there another malevolent force at work in Landon Mansion? Wary, yet deeply attracted, Allison has to trust in Tyler and work with him to discover just what uninvited guest—dead or alive—has taken over the house.

Or their lives could become history!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:52 -0400)

A Philadelphia mansion plays host to uninvited death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,819,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible