One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

One Came Home (edition 2013)

by Amy Timberlake

Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:One Came Home
Authors:Amy Timberlake
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:ARC, read in 2012, middle reader, historical fiction, wisconsin, staff pick

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

This is an incredibly well-written book that I would recommend to readers 4th-grade and up. The characters are well-defined, and the main character, 13-year-old Georgie, is so easy to fall in love with -- intelligent, strong-willed, full of character, and devoted to family. The plot is fast-moving, interesting, and keeps you engaged.

ONE CAME HOME can be classified as historical fiction, mystery, and adventure. Set in Wisconsin in 1871, we enter the life of Georgie Burkhardt who is struggling with the idea that her sister is dead. Her doubts lead her on a journey to discover what happened to her sister -- is she truly dead or did she sneak off to establish a new life?

The best part of this book is the descriptive writing of Amy Timberlake. I noted so many passages in this book; descriptions of feelings and thoughts that are so accurately and beautifully described. Timberlake offers this description of a moment when Georgie was feeling extreme despair -- "At that moment I'd been whittled down to a paper-thin ache." Her language is rich and lyrical, but never inaccessible to young readers.

ONE CAME HOME is a 2014 Newbery Honor Book. For me, I think this is the strongest work among the Newbery honorees for this year. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
Thirteen-year-old Georgie Burkhardt can shoot better than anyone in Placid, Wisconsin. She can handle accounts and serve customers in her family’s general store. What she can’t do is accept that the unrecognizable body wearing her older sister’s blue-green gown is Agatha. Thus begins what’s a sometimes sad, occasionally scary and thoroughly engrossing story of a girl on the cusp of growing up who is riddled with guilt because she thinks her rash decision to tell on her older sister was the reason she ran off with some pigeon chasers, people following the monster flocks of passenger pigeons so they can kill and harvest them for meat and plumage. She refuses to believe the body parts retrieved by the local sheriff can be her beloved sister, even though the dress fragments match the one her sister was wearing when she vanished.
There are several things that make this an engrossing read. Georgie’s struggle to be a normal girl while striking out with her sister’s sort of boyfriend Billy, her having to deal with rotten pigeons and pigeon poop, her getting stuck with Billy’s mule, her coolness when she has to shoot at bad guys and mostly, her out and out pluckiness. It’s easy to see why this has already become a Newberry Honor Book. An excellent book for juvenile readers who like mysteries and/or historical fiction. ( )
  sennebec | Sep 25, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading about this time period. And as someone else has said, I think this is a great companion to True Grit for younger readers. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
ABOUT: Georgia is a young 13 year old girl who doesn't believe that her sister is dead. A dead body was brought home and everyone believes that it's Agatha. Is it really? Well Georgia sets out on an adventure to find out for herself. Along the way she has some help from her sisters old boyfriend Billy.
REVIEW: What a great story. It's a historical fiction, so it was fun thinking about it being during an older time period and not so modern. Also it had a great story line that kept me reading from beginning to end. The mystery starts at the beginning and it's never certain what is really happening till the end. Finally it's a sweet story about sisters. Georgia loves her sister so much she is willing to go out there in the wild to find her. And along the way, we hear stories about Agatha. So it's not like the main character is just Georgia, we also get a look into the character of Agatha.
The Bad: Hmm.... not really sure what I didn't like about this book. Not the all time best book I've ever read, but it was much better than what I was suspecting. It's a great mystery and adventure story. I guess the main thing I didn't like was the ending. It wasn't bad but..... well guess I can't really go into details without ruining it for you. You might understand if you read it.
Will Georgia find Agatha? What really happened? What is the story behind Billy? Read "One Came Home" to find out. ( )
  adventures2 | Jun 26, 2014 |

In the town of Placid, Wisconsin, in 1871, Georgie Burkhardt is known for two things: her uncanny aim with a rifle and her habit of speaking her mind plainly.

But when Georgie blurts out something she shouldn't, her older sister Agatha flees, running off with a pack of "pigeoners" trailing the passenger pigeon migration. And when the sheriff returns to town with an unidentifiable body—wearing Agatha's blue-green ball gown—everyone assumes the worst. Except Georgie. Refusing to believe the facts that are laid down (and coffined) before her, Georgie sets out on a journey to find her sister. She will track every last clue and shred of evidence to bring Agatha home. Yet even with resolute determination and her trusty Springfield single-shot, Georgie is not prepared for what she faces on the western frontier.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:14 -0400)

In 1871 Wisconsin, thirteen-year-old Georgia sets out to find her sister Agatha, presumed dead when remains are found wearing the dress she was last seen in, and before the end of the year gains fame as a sharpshooter and foiler of counterfeiters.

Amy Timberlake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible