One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

One Came Home (edition 2013)

by Amy Timberlake

167None71,081 (4.09)17
Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:One Came Home
Authors:Amy Timberlake
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:ARC, read in 2012, middle reader, historical fiction, wisconsin, staff pick

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

Good historical fiction. Just wish that the main character weren't such a little snit that you wanted to take across your knee.

Interesting facts about pidgeoning, counterfeiting, and a surprise ending. ( )
  crucena | Mar 17, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this well-written novel about a young girl, Georgina (Georgie), who does not believe her older sister Agatha is dead from a violent crime. Historical fiction is my wheelhouse and I am incredibly picky; I think the author did a tremendous job mixing the two. Pigeons play a large symbolic role in the novel without dragging it down (who thinks pigeons are interesting, really?).
My complaint, however, lies with the ending. Naturally, I will not spoil it here, but I think the author should have left it alone with the original trains of thought instead of wrapping it too nicely for younger readers. It seemed saccharine and unrealistic. ( )
  amandacb | Mar 5, 2014 |
Somehow this book wasn't satisfying. Though the narrative was well done (Georgie talks directly to us), I expected a bit more action in a book in this genre. The poetic bits that describe the horrendous slaughter of the pigeons are fine for adults, but I think as young person I would have skipped those chapters. Plus I probably would have skipped the many chapters at the end that comprised the tying up of loose ends. (If you're a person that wants EVERYTHING tied up, you'll be overjoyed.)

ONE CAME HOME is a book I'd suggest to readers of all ages. But its not one that I would expect to be universally loved. To my mind, the heavy use of flashbacks made the progress of the story jerky. And the ending simply didn't live up the great premise and the excellent plot development up until that point. The end of the adventure just lay in the nether land; being neither happy, nor tragic enough to make me love this story. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Mar 2, 2014 |
Georgie doesn't believe her sister Agatha is dead. Agatha ran away from home a few weeks ago, and now the sheriff has brought back a badly mutilated body found in the woods, wearing the remains of Agatha's dress and with the same auburn hair. Thirteen-year-old Georgie feels that there's more to the story of Agatha's disappearance. She rents a mule from Billy McCabe, her sister's former sweetheart, and sets out to find the truth. Of course, she doesn't plan on Billy tagging along -- and that's only the first unexpected occurrence on a journey fraught with mystery and, occasionally, danger. Will Georgie ever learn exactly what happened to Agatha? Is this trip about finding her sister, or is it about coming to terms with her sister's death?

This well-researched and well-written piece of historical fiction is well-deserving of the honors it has received. Set in 1871 Wisconsin, the story is told against the backdrop of the passenger pigeon migration. The characters are fully rounded and always interesting, though not always likable. Some of the events in the final chapter feel tacked on for the sake of historical interest rather than being essential to the plot, but all in all this is an impressive novel, and I hope to see more by this author in the future. ( )
  foggidawn | Feb 23, 2014 |
This is the first book by the author, and she's started out flying fast when the gates were opened with a Newbery Honor award at the end of the race.

With the backdrop of the 1871 wild pigeon migration in Southern Wisconsin, the story of young Georgie Burkhardt unfolds. When Georgie's older sister Agatha runs off with a group of pigeoners, the sheriff goes to find her. Sadly, he returns with a body wearing the beautiful dress her mother sewed. The face, unrecognizable from decay, gives hope to Georgie that this is not the body of Agatha.

Tenaciously stubborn, without her mother or grandfather's blessing, she buys a mule from Billy McCabe, the man who loved Agatha. Feeling guilty because when she saw Billy kiss her sister, she went straight on to Mr. Olmstead, a prominent man in town who was slated to marry Agatha. It was this betrayal that set in motion Agatha's desire to leave Placid Wisconsin.

To find forgiveness and to follow her intuition, Georgie daringly, bravely sets out on a journey of discovery. With Billy McCabe in tow, they travel together in a quest to find answers.

The quick banter between the two, the struggles of traveling in dangerous territory, the soul searching that occurs along the journey, renders this a tale of part mystery, part self discovery all wrapped together in a wonderful package.

The writing is top notch. Told from the perspective of Georgie who is humorous, sharp shooting, vulnerably stubborn and defensive, the reader laughs at the quick to the draw sling-shot comments and roots for the good guy/girl in this marvelous poignant story.

Four Stars for a wonderful, magical story. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Feb 12, 2014 |

In the town of Placid, Wisconsin, in 1871, Georgie Burkhardt is known for two things: her uncanny aim with a rifle and her habit of speaking her mind plainly.

But when Georgie blurts out something she shouldn't, her older sister Agatha flees, running off with a pack of "pigeoners" trailing the passenger pigeon migration. And when the sheriff returns to town with an unidentifiable body—wearing Agatha's blue-green ball gown—everyone assumes the worst. Except Georgie. Refusing to believe the facts that are laid down (and coffined) before her, Georgie sets out on a journey to find her sister. She will track every last clue and shred of evidence to bring Agatha home. Yet even with resolute determination and her trusty Springfield single-shot, Georgie is not prepared for what she faces on the western frontier.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:14 -0400)

In 1871 Wisconsin, thirteen-year-old Georgia sets out to find her sister Agatha, presumed dead when remains are found wearing the dress she was last seen in, and before the end of the year gains fame as a sharpshooter and foiler of counterfeiters.

Amy Timberlake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible