One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

One Came Home (edition 2013)

by Amy Timberlake

Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:One Came Home
Authors:Amy Timberlake
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:ARC, read in 2012, middle reader, historical fiction, wisconsin, staff pick, ana

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

This is a good upper elementary historical fiction book. I'm not sure if it's "award-worthy" but it was enjoyable. Something about the ending just didn't sit well with me. It made me feel like the journey we'd taken was somewhat pointless. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Georgie put me in mind of Mattie of "True Grit," all blunt and plainspoken and sure of herself, with a touch of self-deprecating humor when deserved. Part adventure, part mystery, part coming-of-age. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Excellent story about a girl who is told her sister is dead. Even though the body the sheriff brought back looks like her sister, she knows it isn't so she sets off to solve the mystery of what really happened. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I recognized the narrator's voice from a couple of cartoons I had seen which was kind of funny and made it a little hard to concentrate sometimes. Georgie is an engaging character and it was a very exciting mystery. The author's notes were really interesting and I think I learned a lot from the all the historical detail included which makes me happy. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
So it comes to this, I remember thinking on Wednesday, June 7, 1871. The date sticks in my mind because it was teh day of my sister's first funeral and I knew it wasn't her last - which is why I left. That's the long and short of it.

In the town of Placid, Wisconsin, in 1871, Georgie Burkhardt is known for two things: her uncanny aim with a rifle and her habit of speaking her mind plainly.

But when Georgie blurts out something she shouldn't, her older sister Agatha flees, running off with a pack of "pigeoners" trailing the passenger pigeon migration. And when the sheriff returns to town with an unidentifiable body—wearing Agatha's blue-green ball gown—everyone assumes the worst. Except Georgie. Refusing to believe the facts that are laid down (and coffined) before her, Georgie sets out on a journey to find her sister. She will track every last clue and shred of evidence to bring Agatha home. Yet even with resolute determination and her trusty Springfield single-shot, Georgie is not prepared for what she faces on the western frontier.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

In 1871 Wisconsin, thirteen-year-old Georgia sets out to find her sister Agatha, presumed dead when remains are found wearing the dress she was last seen in, and before the end of the year gains fame as a sharpshooter and foiler of counterfeiters.

41 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible