One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

One Came Home (edition 2013)

by Amy Timberlake

Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:One Came Home
Authors:Amy Timberlake
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:ARC, read in 2012, middle reader, historical fiction, wisconsin, staff pick

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

I enjoyed reading about this time period. And as someone else has said, I think this is a great companion to True Grit for younger readers. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
ABOUT: Georgia is a young 13 year old girl who doesn't believe that her sister is dead. A dead body was brought home and everyone believes that it's Agatha. Is it really? Well Georgia sets out on an adventure to find out for herself. Along the way she has some help from her sisters old boyfriend Billy.
REVIEW: What a great story. It's a historical fiction, so it was fun thinking about it being during an older time period and not so modern. Also it had a great story line that kept me reading from beginning to end. The mystery starts at the beginning and it's never certain what is really happening till the end. Finally it's a sweet story about sisters. Georgia loves her sister so much she is willing to go out there in the wild to find her. And along the way, we hear stories about Agatha. So it's not like the main character is just Georgia, we also get a look into the character of Agatha.
The Bad: Hmm.... not really sure what I didn't like about this book. Not the all time best book I've ever read, but it was much better than what I was suspecting. It's a great mystery and adventure story. I guess the main thing I didn't like was the ending. It wasn't bad but..... well guess I can't really go into details without ruining it for you. You might understand if you read it.
Will Georgia find Agatha? What really happened? What is the story behind Billy? Read "One Came Home" to find out. ( )
  adventures2 | Jun 26, 2014 |
[One Came Home] by [Amy Timberlake] is a highly acclaimed book. I really liked the historic aspects. I did not know people hunted pigeons. Also the character of Georgie is a strong, headed individual. I just felt the first half of the book was like a soap opera. I wanted more details about events and less about the relationship muddle of her sister. I like my historic fiction to have more history. ( )
  MsHooker | Jun 1, 2014 |
What a voice! Our young heroine simply soars. I love this book - what a gem to read ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Good historical fiction. Just wish that the main character weren't such a little snit that you wanted to take across your knee.

Interesting facts about pidgeoning, counterfeiting, and a surprise ending. ( )
1 vote crucena | Mar 17, 2014 |

In the town of Placid, Wisconsin, in 1871, Georgie Burkhardt is known for two things: her uncanny aim with a rifle and her habit of speaking her mind plainly.

But when Georgie blurts out something she shouldn't, her older sister Agatha flees, running off with a pack of "pigeoners" trailing the passenger pigeon migration. And when the sheriff returns to town with an unidentifiable body—wearing Agatha's blue-green ball gown—everyone assumes the worst. Except Georgie. Refusing to believe the facts that are laid down (and coffined) before her, Georgie sets out on a journey to find her sister. She will track every last clue and shred of evidence to bring Agatha home. Yet even with resolute determination and her trusty Springfield single-shot, Georgie is not prepared for what she faces on the western frontier.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:14 -0400)

In 1871 Wisconsin, thirteen-year-old Georgia sets out to find her sister Agatha, presumed dead when remains are found wearing the dress she was last seen in, and before the end of the year gains fame as a sharpshooter and foiler of counterfeiters.

Amy Timberlake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible