One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You…

One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In… (original 1989; edition 2000)

by Peter Lynch, John Rothchild (Contributor)

Member:Jonpenfound
Title:One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market
Authors:Peter Lynch
Other authors:John Rothchild (Contributor)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2000), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 304 pages

One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market by Peter Lynch (1989)

Recently added bydouble-a, private library, VillageGrandeCC, vikram453, qsariup, fersandeber, ryan27374747

History of Financial Advice Collection.
  LibraryofMistakes | Feb 17, 2018 |
To read #1: How Lynch picks up and coming stocks.
  SoliDeoGloria | Mar 31, 2013 |
Best book on investing. Have read 3 times & may read 100 more times. A must read for beginners in stock investing. ( )
  bysunil | Nov 19, 2012 |
For all of the financial capital under their control, it has always amazed me how anonymous most portfolio managers are. Money management companies (e.g., Fidelity, Putnam, Vanguard) are well-known, but the men and women who actually make the investment decisions typically are not, particularly to non-groupies who don’t stay glued to CNBC. Of course, Peter Lynch is an exception; his performance record while running Fidelity’s Magellan fund was so spectacular that the firm simply could not keep him hidden.

This is the first of two books—Beating the Street being the other—that crystallizes his “power of the little guy” investment philosophy. If Ben Graham is the quintessential value investor, Lynch embodies the GARP (Growth at a Reasonable Price) strategy. His straightforward approach is based on two imminently sensible ideas: (1) good, well-run companies with expanding franchises make the best investments over the long run, and (2) individual investors often have an advantage over institutional investors because, as everyday consumers of goods and services, they are in a better position to gather information on the quality of those firms.

Lynch develops these ideas in a practical and approachable manner, usually illustrating his points with examples from his own experience. Although some of these stories feel a little dated by now (e.g., Micron Technology, Service Corporation International), the wisdom inherent in his approach is timeless. He was truly a master at the art of building a stock portfolio from the bottom up and much of that accumulated wisdom is captured in this volume; in fact, the chapter on 'Some Famous Numbers' is worth price of the book alone. ( )
  browner56 | Dec 1, 2011 |
I found this an interesting book about how one man made decisions about what companies were worth investing in. It's not a practical guide but it shows you Lynch's perspective on the process, the rewards and the pitfalls, and how to view companies as an investor. It made the whole thing less mystifying. I didn't come away feeling I could necessarily make the best decisions, but I did come away feeling I could spot someone making poor decisions, especially poor decisions for me. ( )
  jppoetryreader | Jun 24, 2011 |
To Carolyn, my wife and best friend for over twenty years, whose support and sacrifices have been critically important to me.
To my children, Mary, Annie, and Beth, whose love for each other and their parents has meant so very much.
To my colleagues at Fidelity Investments, whose extra efforts have made Magellan's performance possible but who have received none of the favorable publicity.
To one million shareholders in Magellan, who have entrusted their savings to me and who have sent thousands of letters and made thousands of calls over the years, comforting me during declines in the market and reminding me that the future will be fine.
To Holy God for all the incredible blessings I have been given in my life.
There's no such thing as a hereditary knack for picking stocks.
If you can't convince yourself "When I'm down 25 percent, I'm a buyer" and banish forever the fatal thought "When I'm down 25 percent, I'm a seller," then you'll never make a decent profit in stocks.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743200403, Paperback)

THE NATIONAL BESTSELLING BOOK THAT EVERY INVESTOR SHOULD OWN

Peter Lynch is America's number-one money manager. His mantra: Average investors can become experts in their own field and can pick winning stocks as effectively as Wall Street professionals by doing just a little research.

Now, in a new introduction written specifically for this edition of One Up on Wall Street, Lynch gives his take on the incredible rise of Internet stocks, as well as a list of twenty winning companies of high-tech '90s. That many of these winners are low-tech supports his thesis that amateur investors can continue to reap exceptional rewards from mundane, easy-to-understand companies they encounter in their daily lives.

Investment opportunities abound for the layperson, Lynch says. By simply observing business developments and taking notice of your immediate world -- from the mall to the workplace -- you can discover potentially successful companies before professional analysts do. This jump on the experts is what produces "tenbaggers," the stocks that appreciate tenfold or more and turn an average stock portfolio into a star performer.

The former star manager of Fidelity's multibillion-dollar Magellan Fund, Lynch reveals how he achieved his spectacular record. Writing with John Rothchild, Lynch offers easy-to-follow directions for sorting out the long shots from the no shots by reviewing a company's financial statements and by identifying which numbers really count. He explains how to stalk tenbaggers and lays out the guidelines for investing in cyclical, turnaround, and fast-growing companies.

Lynch promises that if you ignore the ups and downs of the market and the endless speculation about interest rates, in the long term (anywhere from five to fifteen years) your portfolio will reward you. This advice has proved to be timeless and has made One Up on Wall Street a number-one bestseller. And now this classic is as valuable in the new millennium as ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

A guide to investing in the stock market, providing information on preparation and research, how to find promising investment opportunities, how to use brokers, how to design a portfolio, how to keep tabs on companies, when to buy and sell, and other topics.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,720,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible