The Madman's Daughter (Madman's…

The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter - Trilogy) (edition 2013)

by Megan Shepherd

Member:krau0098
Title:The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter - Trilogy)
Authors:Megan Shepherd
Info:Balzer Bray (2013), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, eBook
Rating:****1/2
Tags:young adult, science fiction, historical fiction, horror, thriller

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

I mostly enjoyed this one. It read a lot slower than most of the books I've been reading lately. It had a dark gritty feel to the horror aspect. I kept waiting for her to realize that she was the same as B and should stay on the island too if she thought all of her father's experiments should stay. Overall, not super fantastic, but I will read the next one. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
First of all I'd like to say that I just finished this book and my heart is STILL racing.

Here's what I enjoyed about the book...It's fast paced and really easy to read. I wouldn't even notice that I had already read a whole bunch of chapters because of how quick it reads. I like the writing style, to an extent. I enjoyed the occasional medical words thrown around throughout the story. I loved the creepiness, and the darkness that lingered in every corner. It was SO suspenseful, and there were so many twists I was all wound up. I kept wanting more and more, I literally could not book this book down. And there was a love triangle! That's always good. I loved the references with Shakespeare and other writers/classic literature, and I absolutely ADORED how they tied in with the end and all those wonderful twists. I also enjoyed how Juliet would defend herself and how feisty she could be, occasionally, which brings me to....

What I disliked about the book...Juliet kept switching from being strong, assertive, and independent, between being weak, fragile, and practically a damsel in distress. I was like "girl make up your mind, can you fend for yourself or not??" I also disliked that she was very repetitive, mostly in the first couple chapters. The same things kept popping up, "Everything changed since the scandal...After all I am my father's daughter...Were the rumors true?" I kept rolling my eyes every time she would repeat one of those phrases, I was so sick of it. And as much as I love a good love triangle, at times I was pretty bored of it. That's another thing I kept rolling my eyes about. One thing that I wish I could have known more of was how the doctor was really making these creatures. What was his method? How did he manage to create "the monster" (sorry I don't want to spoil it for you guys.) And how exactly did Montgomery manage to create such a near perfect human? Lastly, I hated the whole dilemma Juliet had between thinking her father was a madman, and also wanting to succumb to her own madness. I guess it was good for her character, but I feel like it could have been written better.

My favorite characters were Balthazar, Alice, and Edward. I liked Balthazar because he was just so innocent and docile. He was gentle and kind, I wish I could hold him in my arms and read him a book. Alice was also sweet, and so full of wonder. SPOILER ALERT...KIND OF...I wish Alice would have had a happier ending. It broke my heart...but I understand why it had to be done. And Edward...Oh Edward. His character was SO well written. He makes my heart swell because wow, that character was one in a million. His mysterious past, his secrets, his love for Juliet, and how it all ended. I loved it. It was perfect. He was perfect.

The reason I am giving this book four stars is because as much as I LOVED it, not just really liked it, those flaws that I listed were way too annoying. They almost ruined the whole experience for me, and I occasionally wanting to stop reading the book. I'm glad I didn't though, because in the end I really enjoyed this novel, it just wasn't absolutely perfect and deserving of five stars. I will be getting my hands on the sequel as soon as I can because I refuse to be happy with how it ended. I want to know more, I crave it, yet I'm very curious as to how the story could continue, especially since the third book in this series will be released soon. ( )
  nikkiplusbooks | Aug 1, 2014 |
Even though I (mostly) knew what was coming the entire time, The Madman’s Daughter really built up suspense well. It’s the kind of book where there’s a lot of build-up in the middle of the book and it all culminates in a downright exciting last 70 pages. Even though I saw all the twists coming(which was a little sad, since I heard so many good things about the plot twists in this book), it was just such a heart-throbbing journey to get to that point. The plot is the best part of The Madman’s Daughter–well-executed, great timing, and thrilling.

Juliet is a really bold female character for most of the book. She does things that are not taken lightly in her society. She’s shown to be smart, capable, and resourceful. She’s a character ahead of her time and it shows through. The other characters recognize this and sometimes chastise her, but she does what she wants anyway. Which is great. . . until it involves her love interests, which is where the book lost some of it’s great potential for me.

There’s a love-triangle in this book, and it is not done well. I’m of the rare opinion that I actually do like love triangles if they’re well-done; so much so that I have a Goodreads shelf dedicated to this. The Madman’s Daughter did not end up there. I see no merit to the love triangle at all. The two love interests just weren’t different enough for me, and while I enjoy some book’s romance, the entire time Juliet was kissing either one of them or thinking about it I was thinking, “Enough! Stop kissing! You have a whole island of horrifying/exciting around you. I want to get back to that!”.

At one point I thought I was going to have to put The Madman’s Daughter back on the shelf because of the horrifying factor, but once I got past one particular part it was definitely do-able. I will admit to skimming certain paragraphs to cut down on the blood–because there is a lot of blood in this book. It isn’t all that scary or gross, but it’s just. . . everywhere. I have a really weird thing with blood. I don’t mind giving blood or seeing my own blood, but I really hate seeing/reading/hearing about other people’s blood, so that’s definitely something I picked up on and something I’d be aware of if you have a similar feel as I do.

The best part of this book was the last fifty pages–excitement abounds and the ending is . . . I don’t know what it is, but it’s the type that sticks with you. I saw the twists coming, but I did not see the ending coming and it’s the kind of ending that makes you want more immediately. A cliffhanger, but not one that felt overly gimmicky to me.

Final Impression: The Madman’s Daughter does a pretty good job of maintaining a Gothic feel. I enjoyed Juliet’s character and her force of will, but I thought the love triangle was by far the weakest point in the book and brought it down a lot. It takes up too much time, it’s not well-done, and the book would have been more exciting without it. The plot was well-executed and left me wanting more. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the sequel, but hoping that the love triangle disappears all together(unlikely, but I will continue to hope). 3/5 stars. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I found this eery, Gothic retelling of The Island of Dr. Moreau to be engaging and suspenseful. Juliet Moreau was a strong and determined main character and the love triangle with Edward and Montgomery kept me guessing as to which guy she would choose. Her father was crazy, his animal/human creations were so creepy, yet imaginable. The twist and the ending were surprising and left me wanting to pick the next book right now! ( )
  dinelson | May 10, 2014 |
OMG! The twists and turns in this plot! I should have seen the whole Juliet, Edward twists coming. Sometimes the relationships with parents and children is hard enough when there has been some sort of abandonment/reconciliation issue but when Dear Old Dad is a nut job genius WOW ! I haven't quite figured out Montgomery yet. I can't wait until the next book comes in! The way it ended! I can't believe she left us hanging like that! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 17, 2014 |
To Jesse -
I love you madly.
The basement hallways in King's College of Medical Research were dark, even in the daytime.
At night they were like a grave.
Why did I have to learn he was alive from a bloodstained diagram at a late-night vivisection?

Dr. Moreau's daughter, Juliet, travels to her estranged father's island, only to encounter murder, medical horrors, and a love triangle.

30 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,349,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible