The Madman's Daughter (Madman's…

The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter - Trilogy) (edition 2013)

by Megan Shepherd

379None30,345 (3.84)6
Member:krau0098
Title:The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter - Trilogy)
Authors:Megan Shepherd
Info:Balzer Bray (2013), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, eBook
Rating:****1/2
Tags:young adult, science fiction, historical fiction, horror, thriller

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Simply put, The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd is an eerie, bold, and captivating piece inspired by the classic The Island of Dr. Moreau. The intriguing premise unfolds into this beautiful and addicting story with strong characters, shocking twists, and a romantic love triangle in a frightening and dark world.

Summary:

16-year-old Juliet Moreau lived a comfortable life in her family's mansion on Belgrave Square. But after her father's scandal and banishment from London, she struggles to make ends meet and works as a cleaning maid at King's College. Upon a surprise reunion with her former servant Montgomery James, Juliet travels to a remote island to search for her father, Dr. Henri Moreau, who was once a famous surgeon and physiologist in England. Soon, she learns the horrifying truth behind crazy rumors about her father's experiments and is also torn between her feelings for Montgomery and Edward Prince, a charming yet mysterious castaway.

My Thoughts:

The book starts off in an intense and fast pace. It was creepy but interesting. I think Shepherd did a great job at building a Gothic Victorian setting, and she was able to capture the essence of the scary and spooky island. The story was very enthralling for the majority of the storyline, with a slightly boring and uneventful transition that leads to some surprising revelations and discoveries at the end.

It was so fun to read about these characters, especially for Juliet, who is a strong and dynamic heroine. She was somewhat irritating and doubtful when it comes to her romantic dilemma between Montgomery and Edward, but she is still a very likable and awesome protagonist. She is also extremely intelligent and smart, a rare quality that is not quite common among YA female characters.

The love triangle was probably my least favorite thing about this book, and I was happy to find that it isn't a dominate theme in the story. What I did really liked was the mad doctor. It's a very well written, complicated, and provocative character. Unlike most villains, Juliet's exiled father is actually quite sophisticated and perplexing yet also cruel and ruthless at the same time. Combined with the dark and mysterious island setting, Shepherd was able to add an alluring but chilling vibe to the entire story.

Half way through the book, I knew that this was going to be amazing, but the unpredictable twists at the end are just brilliant and well crafted. There are some gruesome scenes in the story, but for those who can stomach these, this is a truly incredible book. ( )
  Angela7546 | Apr 15, 2014 |
blah ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
A young girls father abandons his family after he was found to be a mad scientist. Later her mother dies and she looses her job. Upon learning that her father is alive and on a remote island she travels there to find a couple suitors and creatures that have no names. This books doesn't have a fairy tale ending. Even the last two pages will blow you away. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 18, 2014 |
OMG it was MORBID.

but it was an okay novel for me... I liked Edward and I DO NOT THINK he's dead, nor is Juliet's father.
and the ending... HOW COULD YOU Montgomery!!!!! Why choose those beasts over Juliet?! UGH! ( )
  sheshethefangirl | Dec 19, 2013 |
I have a weakness for classics remade by a modern author. I have thoroughly loved reading books that take their inspiration from great stories and authors, and The Madman's Daughter does this beautifully by taking H.G. Wells's story The Island of Dr. Moreau, and putting a new, fresh spin on it. At times gruesome, other times horrifying, and sometimes spine-chillingly terrifying, Shepherd manages to still capture the attention of this skittish reader and I found myself reading until nearly 5am just to figure out what happens.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on Dec. 21, 2013. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Dec 15, 2013 |
To Jesse -
I love you madly.
The basement hallways in King's College of Medical Research were dark, even in the daytime.
At night they were like a grave.
Why did I have to learn he was alive from a bloodstained diagram at a late-night vivisection?

Dr. Moreau's daughter, Juliet, travels to her estranged father's island, only to encounter murder, medical horrors, and a love triangle.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,462,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible