The Madman's Daughter (Madman's…

The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter - Trilogy) (edition 2013)

by Megan Shepherd

Member:krau0098
Title:The Madman's Daughter (Madman's Daughter - Trilogy)
Authors:Megan Shepherd
Info:Balzer Bray (2013), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, eBook
Rating:****1/2
Tags:young adult, science fiction, historical fiction, horror, thriller

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Even though I (mostly) knew what was coming the entire time, The Madman’s Daughter really built up suspense well. It’s the kind of book where there’s a lot of build-up in the middle of the book and it all culminates in a downright exciting last 70 pages. Even though I saw all the twists coming(which was a little sad, since I heard so many good things about the plot twists in this book), it was just such a heart-throbbing journey to get to that point. The plot is the best part of The Madman’s Daughter–well-executed, great timing, and thrilling.

Juliet is a really bold female character for most of the book. She does things that are not taken lightly in her society. She’s shown to be smart, capable, and resourceful. She’s a character ahead of her time and it shows through. The other characters recognize this and sometimes chastise her, but she does what she wants anyway. Which is great. . . until it involves her love interests, which is where the book lost some of it’s great potential for me.

There’s a love-triangle in this book, and it is not done well. I’m of the rare opinion that I actually do like love triangles if they’re well-done; so much so that I have a Goodreads shelf dedicated to this. The Madman’s Daughter did not end up there. I see no merit to the love triangle at all. The two love interests just weren’t different enough for me, and while I enjoy some book’s romance, the entire time Juliet was kissing either one of them or thinking about it I was thinking, “Enough! Stop kissing! You have a whole island of horrifying/exciting around you. I want to get back to that!”.

At one point I thought I was going to have to put The Madman’s Daughter back on the shelf because of the horrifying factor, but once I got past one particular part it was definitely do-able. I will admit to skimming certain paragraphs to cut down on the blood–because there is a lot of blood in this book. It isn’t all that scary or gross, but it’s just. . . everywhere. I have a really weird thing with blood. I don’t mind giving blood or seeing my own blood, but I really hate seeing/reading/hearing about other people’s blood, so that’s definitely something I picked up on and something I’d be aware of if you have a similar feel as I do.

The best part of this book was the last fifty pages–excitement abounds and the ending is . . . I don’t know what it is, but it’s the type that sticks with you. I saw the twists coming, but I did not see the ending coming and it’s the kind of ending that makes you want more immediately. A cliffhanger, but not one that felt overly gimmicky to me.

Final Impression: The Madman’s Daughter does a pretty good job of maintaining a Gothic feel. I enjoyed Juliet’s character and her force of will, but I thought the love triangle was by far the weakest point in the book and brought it down a lot. It takes up too much time, it’s not well-done, and the book would have been more exciting without it. The plot was well-executed and left me wanting more. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the sequel, but hoping that the love triangle disappears all together(unlikely, but I will continue to hope). 3/5 stars. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I found this eery, Gothic retelling of The Island of Dr. Moreau to be engaging and suspenseful. Juliet Moreau was a strong and determined main character and the love triangle with Edward and Montgomery kept me guessing as to which guy she would choose. Her father was crazy, his animal/human creations were so creepy, yet imaginable. The twist and the ending were surprising and left me wanting to pick the next book right now! ( )
  dinelson | May 10, 2014 |
OMG! The twists and turns in this plot! I should have seen the whole Juliet, Edward twists coming. Sometimes the relationships with parents and children is hard enough when there has been some sort of abandonment/reconciliation issue but when Dear Old Dad is a nut job genius WOW ! I haven't quite figured out Montgomery yet. I can't wait until the next book comes in! The way it ended! I can't believe she left us hanging like that! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 17, 2014 |
Juliet Moreau is struggling to make ends meet in 1800s London, still dogged by the scandal surrounding her father, Dr. Moreau, even though he abandoned Juliet and her mother several years previously. When Juliet discovers that her father is still alive and living on a remote island near Australia, she is determined to reunite with him--even if he turns out to be the mad, disturbed scientist that everyone believes him to be. "The Madman's Daughter" is based on "The Island of Dr. Moreau" by H.G. Wells and is the chilling story of a man who plays God and a daughter caught in the middle of it all. I loved this book, even though I have never read the story it is based on. Shepherd writes beautifully and her imagery of the ominous island with its creepy inhabitants stuck with me long after I finished. I'm excited to read the sequel! ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 17, 2014 |
Simply put, The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd is an eerie, bold, and captivating piece inspired by the classic The Island of Dr. Moreau. The intriguing premise unfolds into this beautiful and addicting story with strong characters, shocking twists, and a romantic love triangle in a frightening and dark world.

Summary:

16-year-old Juliet Moreau lived a comfortable life in her family's mansion on Belgrave Square. But after her father's scandal and banishment from London, she struggles to make ends meet and works as a cleaning maid at King's College. Upon a surprise reunion with her former servant Montgomery James, Juliet travels to a remote island to search for her father, Dr. Henri Moreau, who was once a famous surgeon and physiologist in England. Soon, she learns the horrifying truth behind crazy rumors about her father's experiments and is also torn between her feelings for Montgomery and Edward Prince, a charming yet mysterious castaway.

My Thoughts:

The book starts off in an intense and fast pace. It was creepy but interesting. I think Shepherd did a great job at building a Gothic Victorian setting, and she was able to capture the essence of the scary and spooky island. The story was very enthralling for the majority of the storyline, with a slightly boring and uneventful transition that leads to some surprising revelations and discoveries at the end.

It was so fun to read about these characters, especially for Juliet, who is a strong and dynamic heroine. She was somewhat irritating and doubtful when it comes to her romantic dilemma between Montgomery and Edward, but she is still a very likable and awesome protagonist. She is also extremely intelligent and smart, a rare quality that is not quite common among YA female characters.

The love triangle was probably my least favorite thing about this book, and I was happy to find that it isn't a dominate theme in the story. What I did really liked was the mad doctor. It's a very well written, complicated, and provocative character. Unlike most villains, Juliet's exiled father is actually quite sophisticated and perplexing yet also cruel and ruthless at the same time. Combined with the dark and mysterious island setting, Shepherd was able to add an alluring but chilling vibe to the entire story.

Half way through the book, I knew that this was going to be amazing, but the unpredictable twists at the end are just brilliant and well crafted. There are some gruesome scenes in the story, but for those who can stomach these, this is a truly incredible book. ( )
  Angela7546 | Apr 15, 2014 |
To Jesse -
I love you madly.
The basement hallways in King's College of Medical Research were dark, even in the daytime.
At night they were like a grave.
Why did I have to learn he was alive from a bloodstained diagram at a late-night vivisection?

Dr. Moreau's daughter, Juliet, travels to her estranged father's island, only to encounter murder, medical horrors, and a love triangle.

30 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible