Keeper of the light by Diane Chamberlain

Keeper of the light (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Diane Chamberlain

Series: Lighthouse (book 1)

Midway through performing surgery on a gunshot victim, Dr. Olivia Simon learns that the victim is Annie O'Neill, the woman with whom Olivia's husband is in love.
Member:christinejoseph
Title:Keeper of the light
Authors:Diane Chamberlain
Info:New York : HarperCollins, c1992.
Tags:r. 1992, fiction, romance, affairs, marriage, medicine

Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain (1992)

Kiss River by Diane Chamberlain (DeniseG53)
    DeniseG53: This is the second book in the Keeper of the Light trilogy; Her Mother's Shadow is the third book.
    Her Mother's Shadow by Diane Chamberlain (DeniseG53)
    DeniseG53: Keeper of the Light is the first book in a trilogy; Kiss River is the second book and Her Mother's Shadow is the third.

I first read this in 1993 and it's one of those books that haunts you until you reread it., and reread it again. It still touches my heart each time I delve back in. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
Olivia is on duty in the A&E department when a Annie is brought in with a gun-shot wound which proves fatal. She is the woman her husband Paul is infatuated with and when he learns of the death he leaves Olivia.

In order to learn more about Annie Olivia befriends Alec her husband starting a friendship which will have consequences for everyone.

There is also the story of the local lighthouse which is in danger of being swallowed up by the sea and what to do about it.

This is the first book by the author that I've read, I picked it up because of the comparison to Jodi Picoult but it doesn't resonate the same feelings to me at all.

I enjoyed it and especially the characters of Lacey, mourning the death of her mother and Mary who was the lighthouse keeper for many years and the keeper of secrets.

However I couldn't score it higher because of the unneeded sex scenes which were unnecessarily graphic and voyeuristic.

Also didn't discover it was part one of a trilogy until after starting to read. Why can't it be clear when buying a book so that you can decide if you want to get a book with follow on parts? ( )
  Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
The fight for the Kiss River Lighthouse becomes the fight for Paul Macelli, his wife Olivia and Alec and the late Annie O'Neill. Lives intertwined in a way none of them quite realised, with far-reaching effects.

The life and death of Annie turns all their lives upside down - this novel is the story of how that works out for them.

Enjoyable and with plenty of twists. ( )
  pamjw | Jun 30, 2016 |
Annie O'Neill is shot. Rushed to hospital and on duty is Olivia Simon. Olivia knows who the patient is, her husbands mistress. Olivia tries her best to save Annie. When Annie dies everybody is affected.

I had previously read book two in the Lighthouse trilogy. At the time it really didn't make much difference. Reading book one now I still feel that it didn't matter too much. As I was reading some of the characters I was beginning to remember.

Annie is dead from the beginning with flashbacks to when she was alive. I felt she was very much like a Rebecca type character, dead but very much alive. A strong character but not very likeable.

This type of book is what I would call a story. Peoples lives with a lot going on and being drawn into their complicated lives. Olivia I liked the best and was waiting for her to see sense.

Not wanting to be negative but I did find the book dragging on at times. There was a lot of pages where sonetimes not a lot was happening and the characters were backwards and forwards over the same ground. Like the second book at times I thought it was a little silly.

However the book was a nice easy read and I enjoyed most of it just at times it was a bit of a yarn. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 20, 2016 |
good novel @ death of woman - Annie - Dr's husband's lover - 2 families - how they mix up + reunite

Dr. Olivia Simon is in the middle of treating a gunshot victim while on duty Christmas night when she realizes that the patient is Annie O'Neill, the woman with whom her husband, Paul, is in love. Despite Olivia's best efforts to save her, Annie dies in surgery. For Olivia, Paul, and Annie's husband, Alec, life will never be the same.
  christinejoseph | Jan 7, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Lighthouse (book 1)
It rained the entire day.

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,934,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible