The holy war, made by Shaddai upon Diabolus, for the regaining of the… (1682)

by John Bunyan

First published in 1682, John Bunyan's allegorical novel The Holy War is a classic of Christian literature whose spiritual insight rivals that of even his most famous work, The Pilgrim's Progress. It tells the story of Mansoul, a utopia built to exalt the greatness and honor of its creator and leader, King Shaddai. However, when the wicked Diabolus, a former high servant of Shaddai's and the king of the blacks, assaults Mansoul, the town forgets its benevolent king and falls under his iniquitous rule. With the citizens of his beloved city lost to sin and vice, Shaddai sends his son, Prince Emmanuel, to deliver them from Diabolus' tyranny. An epic tale of good versus evil, The Holy War is not only a masterpiece of religious literature, but also an entertaining and engaging story for all listeners.… (more)

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
A vivid allegory for the Christian life, from the Fall of Man through to being conquered for Christ, the backsliding and lukewarmness, and the repentance and holy zeal.

I especially liked how Bunyan painted the love of Christ in everything Emmanuel did.

It's written in a KJV-style English, so there's plenty of thee's and thou's, and sentences turned inside out. I'm not particular bothered by that, but I have great respect for the narrator for flawlessly rendering it all as if he spoke it every day. ( )
  lachlanp | Dec 14, 2020 |
This was an interesting piece of work, no doubt, but I don't feel that the novel has held up well against the toils of time. The writing was a bit dense and archaic and the plotline, atlhough based on true events, reads like a mediocre second-hand retelling more than anything else. It was not that enjoyable of a read and I do not recommend it.

2 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Nov 29, 2019 |
Bound in with A sketch of the life of Mr. John Bunyan, minister of the Gospel, with his portrait; published by Brightly and Childs, 1813.
  jon1lambert | Mar 31, 2009 |
In my travels, as I walked through many regions and countries, it was my chance to happen into that famous continent of Universe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,495,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible