Soul Sisters by Janiera Eldridge

Soul Sisters (edition 2012)

by Janiera Eldridge, Tabitha Short (Editor), Marya Heiman (Illustrator)

641,268,033 (2.2)None
Member:bishhy
Title:Soul Sisters
Authors:Janiera Eldridge
Other authors:Tabitha Short (Editor), Marya Heiman (Illustrator)
Info:
Rating:**

Soul Sisters by Janiera Eldridge

Although Dana is human, as soul sister to vampire Ani she could potentially live forever. Unfortunately, Ani’s decision to kill a human who tries to hurt Dana causes the vampire leader Donovan to decide that the sisters are more trouble than they’re worth. Fortunately, the sisters have some powerful friends and if they manage defeat Donovan, Ani will be safe as the new vampire leader. But first, they have to survive…

This book has a lot of potential. The writing was occasionally stilted, perhaps because the words and sentence structure were reasonably simple, but the writing was certainly not bad and wouldn’t have distracted me from a really good story. At the beginning, I was completely engrossed in learning more about the unique vampire mythology the author created. It’s so fun to see a new take on an old legend, especially one in which vampires enjoy being vampires instead of being all angsty about it. At only 80 pages long, I was dreading running out of book!

Sadly, I ended up feeling very let down by the second half. In the last forty pages, nothing happens except the characters preparing for a massive, climactic showdown with Donovan. There’s training, and more training, and the book slowly started to drag. Eighty pages suddenly seemed like a lot to get through! If this had, in fact, lead to an epic showdown, I would have been ok with all the lead up. Instead, the bad guys basically just surrender and the anticlimactic ending takes only a few pages. I might read more be the author since she had some great ideas, but in this case I was disappointed with the execution.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
*THIS BOOK WAS GIVEN TO ME IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW via FMB BLOG TOURS*

Janiera Eldridge introduces you to a whole new world of vampires. How they're made? Well, that's still a question left unanswered. There is a creator and the process is a secret. *shrugs* Dana and Ani are soul sisters. Dana is human and will live as long as her soul sister Ani, who is a vampire and was created by Donovan. Dana is immortal and will live as long as her soul sister is alive. But when Dana is drugged and attacked behind a club, Ani steps in to protector her sister and ends up killing a witness who sees her feeding from her sisters attacker and triggers Donovan to put an end to Ani and Dana.

Soul Sisters was a pretty interesting read, it definitely had it's flaws but if you could manage to look past them, then it was pretty good story that could definitely be better. I thought the whole idea for Soul Sisters is pretty danged cool, but with all the errors in the book, I found it very hard to read. There are different POVs but there is no distinct mention of a change until you actually realize that you're now reading from another characters POV. Ahhh. All my romance junkies out there. There is romance in this book, but it's very muted. Not too much spark going on, but the characters did show a bit of spark between them. Though, I do wish there was more umph and less uhh. lol My poor unfulfilled romantic heart.

I did get this book a few months back on Amazon while it was free & then when I got an email to participate in the blog tour, I figured why not knock out a book in my TBR pile and join the tour. So, with that being said, I read the version I got from Amazon (and not the copy sent for the blog tour) before it was pulled and there was quite a bit of spelling tragedies. As well as mixing up of characters. There were times when Dana would say something or think something and then it would shift as if Ani had said/thought it. Again, the throwing off of the POV. Very confusing. I'm on the fence with the characters. I liked some of them, and some of them I was wondering WTF. Donovan, the Creator, is supposed to be this bad guy, but I never really got a "tread-slowly-he's-dangerous" vibe off of him. Which made me skeptical when Ani, Dani and the rest of the gang were training to whoop some creator ass.

Towards the ending, I was building up to this awesome showdown between the Creator and Ani, Dana and the rest of the group. (Thought, I just finished watching The Walking Dead then jumped back into reading and was still in an ass kicking mood) Well, a lot of build up and training and then BAAAAM. It's over. That was not a good ending for me. It was like a whole bunch of teasing and building up and then it all stops. I was disappointed to say the least.

I think this book could definitely be something great, it just wasn't a wow factor for me. The book fell and rose quite a bit, it wasn't boring, but it didn't keep my attention and wasn't very satisfying. I was on the fence with the rating for this book. I'm going with 2 Tropical Drinks because it could definitely use some work but it was decent. Easy to read and a nice twist to vampires. ( )
  bishhy | Nov 26, 2012 |
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 4 STARS! I really enjoyed reading Janiera Eldridge’s “Soul Sisters”. I definitely agree with some previous reviews saying that “Soul Sisters” is a unique vampire read. I have read so many vampire novels but Ms. Eldridge’s idea of the soul sister was nice and fresh. I also liked how the author included several cultures in her story; I thought that was a good idea because you do not see this done often. Urban Fantasy and Paranormal lovers should definitely give “Soul Sisters” a chance!

Alright, so this story revolves around twin sisters Dana and Ani. Dana is a human and Ani is a vampire. How is that possible? They weren’t born twin sisters. Every vampire is created from a piece of a human’s soul. The vampire created from the human soul is identical to the human and protects them at all costs. The human receives eternal life (or dies when the vampire dies). Dana does not need to hunt and drink blood like Ani does, which is good because Dana cannot stand seeing Ani in her vampire form. After a night of partying, Dana is almost raped and possibly killed but Ani got there just in time to take care of the bad guy. Donovan, the head vampire, usually allows the race to hunt bad guys but decided to issue Ani’s execution for the murders she has committed. Like I said if Ani dies then Dana dies, and neither woman is ready for that regardless of how long they have been alive. Dana and Ani decide to contact some allies and try to fight for their lives. They will do anything to survive, even if that means taking down Donovan. Problem is Donovan has many guards that defend him plus almost an entire vampire race that follows him. Will the Soul Sisters be able to defeat him? Will Dana and Ani survive? Or will the twin’s long life finally come to an end? Find out in this great novel “Soul Sisters” by Janiera Eldridge today!

I cannot wait to read book two of the “Soul Sisters” trilogy. I was very excited when I learned that Ms. Eldridge is in the process of writing her second installment of the trilogy. I enjoyed the characters; I liked both Ani and Dana. I liked that Dana was like me when it came to her love of books, but I enjoyed Ani’s wild and carefree ways as well. I also loved the men of this book. I can’t wait to see how the romances develop between the men and women. I want to see Dana and Christian together and I also want to see more of Ani and Diego. I would actually love a short story or two about Christian and Diego’s past, their lives seem very interesting.

Congratulations Janiera on writing a book that all ethnicities can relate to. Good job on keeping the storyline new and refreshing to read. I am eager to see the action and drama that will unfold in the second “Soul Sisters” novel. I know it will be good!

Brianna Lee Book Reviews
http://www.briannaleereviews.blogspot.com ( )
  briannaleereviews | Sep 6, 2012 |
* Thank you to the author, Janiera Eldridge, for allowing me to be a Early Reviewer on the JeepDiva Blog http://www.thejeepdiva.com. *

AUTHOR: Soul Sister is Janiera’s first published book. In my opinion, Janiera has the potential of someday becoming a great author. At this time, “in my opinion”, she has some improvements to make in providing her written work with the right balance of dialogue, action and adventure and details of events….”in my opinion”.

GENRE: Paranormal, Fiction, Contemporary fiction, Multicultural fiction, Urban fiction, Fantasy fiction

SETTING:
Harlem, New York to Europe and back to New York. Switches back and force between Modern Day and the 13th century

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTER: Twin sisters but only one is a vampire. The other twin however, has lived for as many years as her vampire sister.

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: For centuries he has always made it possible for people to live beyond their time. He can provide for them the riches of life should they so desire. The problem? He demands something from them that that money cannot buy.

SYNOPSIS: She married the man of her dreams. His life suddenly ended but her twin sister ensured that she would always be with her. She would always be her protector.

PARANORMAL: How does one live with a twin and yet that twin has a different need in order to survive?

CONTEMPORARY fiction: This book is not so much “romance” as it is “contemporary paranormal”. The major setting takes place in the modern day century. Spurts of having relationships is included but not the main thrust.

WHAT I LIKED: Actions starts towards the end of the book and leads to a cliff hanger. Whoa!

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE: While it is a great story overall, the book lacks depth. It does not pull the reader into the storyline. It is written with basic events occurring with very little detail description of moods, character and facial expressions. As an example, what was the shape of their eyes and mouth; were her teeth white and elongated as she saw the pulse beating in his neck; what was the reaction of the victim, did he scream; what did the door sound like as it opened, did it creak open?

Unfortunately this book gets (2) vrooms out of (5) Jeep Diva blog vrooms. The engine started but the tires would not roll. http://www.thejeepdiva.com/

WHY (2 ) STARS: Lacks depth. Reader is just dropped into one scene after the other. ( )
  ChandraGay | Jul 19, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,370,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible