The Uninvited by Liz Jensen

The Uninvited (edition 2013)

by Liz Jensen

Member:bibliobeck
Title:The Uninvited
Authors:Liz Jensen
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2013), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:read 2012, reviewed for Bloomsbury

The Uninvited by Liz Jensen

English (23)  Danish (1)  All languages (24)
At first glance everything about this book screams creepy. The cover of an evil looking child, the little summary on the inside cover that instantly hooks you. However, this book quickly goes from a horror novel to something else and the children turned murderers are quickly on the back burner. This isn't a horror book and it was disappointing since I expected a gruesome book about kids that suddenly become murderers instead I got a book about a the relationship between a man and his stepson.
For what it is the book is okay, just not what I was expecting and left me disappointed. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jan 5, 2015 |
It is lucky for the author of this book that I even decided to finish it. The book opens with a series of extremely violent acts perpetrated upon adults by children. The it moves to the life of Heskethe Lock, a competent cultural anthropologist who is sent to various sites worldwide by his boss Ashok to gather details of corporate sabotage. Heskethe has just left his former girlfriend for a surprising reason, but is still very much attached to her son Freddy whom Heskethe treats as his own son. This is the first third of the book. If this sounds like a boring read to this point, it is.

What makes this book interesting is what develops later. If you have the fortitude to bear with this book's rough start, you'll find an inventive story which ties all of the disparate pieces together and an interesting look into the workings of the mind of Heskethe, an individual with Asperger's syndrome. I like how the author uses some of the definitive traits of a person with Asperger's syndrome to make a highly likable main character. The science fiction part of this book, once revealed, was what made my interest in finishing this story heat up. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jan 3, 2015 |
This book was immense. I really had no idea how it was going to go at all, it was a bargain 99p book from The Works, didn't think id even like it but my friend had read it and said it was good and i needed something new so i just grabbed it as a spur of the moment thing.

It was fantastic! Nothing like i thought it would be, i thought it was going to be a horror but it was definatly a psychological thriller. Creepy, scary and a stark realization when you get to the end that maybe we do need intervention before we ruin the planet, this takes that to a whole new level though.

I loved the characters, they felt so real, Hesketh is written so brilliantly he could be someone i know easily. His aspergers and his habits fit really well with the story and add so much to it without taking away from the plot. Freddy and his decline is literally heart breaking and i felt for Hesketh so much it was actually really emotional to read by the end. It definatly was a lump in the throat moment.

I'm still kind of sad about the ending, i really wanted it to be happy and rosy because i adored Hesketh so much, unfortunately it wasn't to be.

I cant recommend this book enough. Im so glad i picked it up. Fabulous author, fantastic book, must read! ( )
  shelley.s | May 7, 2014 |
Quite an intriguing concept that unfolds gradually as the story progresses. The characters and story are well-developed and well-written enough so that I wanted to keep reading in order to find out what the hell was going on, and what happens next. ( )
  dianestm | Feb 15, 2014 |
Supremely creepy! The children in this book are enough to give any parent pause. You know that when a book begins with a seven year old murdering her grandmother with a nail gun to the neck, you're in for an interesting read. The narrator, the autistic savant Hesketh, is empathetic to readers sensitive to his crippling logic and inability to relate to others emotionally. Beyond the horrorish/ science-fiction type plot line lies a touching tale of one man's love for his troubled stepson.

The Uninvited is definitely an enthralling read recommended for fans of suspense, psychological thriller, horror and dystopian fiction. ( )
  myownwoman | Jan 29, 2014 |
This unsettling mystery-thriller possesses elements of horror as well as apocalyptic overtones. The protagonist of Liz Jensen's The Uninvited (Bloomsbury USA, $25) is Hesketh Lock, a brilliant fellow with Asperger's syndrome who works as a claims investigator for a British firm. He can't help but look for patterns and rely on observations when he detects something abnormal about some recent, exceptionally bloody violence from very young children.

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star
Hath had elsewhere its setting
And cometh from afar . . .
Hence in a season of calm weather
Though inland far we be
Our Souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither
Can in a moment travel thither
And see the children sport upon the shore
And hear the mighty waters rolling evermore.

William Wordsworth, Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood

There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.

Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory
For Clare Blatchford Rees
An inspiration
Mass hysterical outbreaks rarely have identifiable inceptions, but the date I remember most vividly is Sunday 16th September, when a young child in butterfly pyjamas slaughtered her grandmother with a nail-gun to the neck.

A seven-year-old girl puts a nail-gun to her grandmother's neck and fires. An isolated incident, say the experts. The experts are wrong. Across the world, children are killing their families. Is violence contagious?

As chilling murders by children grip the country, anthropologist Hesketh Locke has his own mystery to solve: a bizarre scandal in the Taiwan timber industry. He has never been good at relationships, Asperger's Syndrome has seen to that. But he does have a talent for spotting behavioural patterns, and an outsider's fascination with group dynamics.

Hesketh has no obvious reason to connect the South East Asian case with the atrocities back home. Or with the increasingly odd behaviour of his beloved step son, Freddy. But when his Taiwan contact dies shockingly, and more acts of sabotage and child violence sweep the globe, Hesketh is forced to make connections that defy the rational principles on which he has staked his life, his career and — most devastatingly of all — his role as a father.

In the wake of a series of baffling murders committed by children, anthropologist Hesketh Lock investigates a scandal in the Taiwan timber industry and wonders at his stepson's odd behavior before making a shocking connection upon the death of his Taiwan contact.… (more)

6 wanted3 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,147,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible