Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead

Bear Has a Story to Tell (2012)

by Philip C. Stead

Other authors: Erin E. Stead (Illustrator)

Bears certainly have been popular in kids' books for the past several years. This rumply bear (named Bear) is probab I lovely the most charming and realistically cuddly looking one I've seen lately. I love Erin Stead's drawings, they're so good that they make me want to get out my own ink and brushes and make something in response. Maybe that's also how John Klassen was feeling when he wrote "I Want My Hat Back," which sort of plays out like a hard-boiled noir version of "Bear Has a Story to Tell." ( )
  motorbuffalo | Jun 23, 2017 |
Review:
It is a lovely story with warm and beautiful illustration. Bear was getting sleepy because it is almost winter. But before sleeping Bear had a story to tell. He began to find a friend to hear his story while helping friends get ready for winter.
Critique:
It is a fantasy book which is my favorite among these five books. I really like this book, everything!
All the animals appeared in this story get along with each other just like human beings. Their friendship makes the winter warmer. I fee there may be such a world with Bear and his friends. The readers can image it by the author's description.
Comments on use:
Teaching students about friendship
Children learn some animals habitual behavior in winter.
Age appropriateness:
Primary
  ShanGao | Jan 28, 2017 |
bear is trying to tell his friends a story in fall but everyone is getting ready for winter, so bear waits til spring to tell all his friends but when its time to tell it, he has forgotten the story.
6 books
  TUCC | Jan 24, 2017 |
Bear Has A Story To Tell tells the story of Bear who wants to tell all his animal friends (Mole, Mouse, Duck) a story as winter approaches. All of his friends are busy getting ready to hibernate or fly south and Bear helps them get ready. After winter, Bear can’t remember his story. His friends help him get started and the story is the book itself.

This book would be great for teaching what you can do when you have writer’s block or are uncertain about what to write about. For many students they have an idea and either can’t carry it forward or forget it. Discussion with peers can help many students get past this issue. This book could be used to model how to handle this problem paired with an effective teacher think aloud and model.
  SteveKorin | Aug 2, 2016 |
This early reader book is a sweet bedtime story about a bear who wants to share a story before he goes in to hibernation for the winter. The only problem is that everyone else is preparing to hibernate as well, so bear has no one to share his story with. When he wakes up, he no longer remembers his story, but he finds that he and his friends have created a story all their own. I didn't discover any profound message or deep human implication from this story, but by the end I did feel sleepy. I suppose if I were a parent of young children, I would look for books that made my kids feel sleepy at bedtime above all else.
  kquisling | Jun 3, 2016 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stead, Erin E.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Neal and Jennifer, who listen to our stories
It was almost winter and Bear was getting sleepy.

It was almost winter and Bear was getting sleepy.
But first, Bear had a story to tell...

Bear, with the help of his animal friends, remembers the story he had hoped to tell before the onset of winter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible