Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead

Bear Has a Story to Tell (edition 2012)

by Philip C. Stead, Erin Stead (Illustrator)

Member:attebb
Title:Bear Has a Story to Tell
Authors:Philip C. Stead
Other authors:Erin Stead (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books, RDG 560
Rating:***
Tags:Bears, Hibernation, Winter, Friends, Story Telling

Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead

This early reader book is a sweet bedtime story about a bear who wants to share a story before he goes in to hibernation for the winter. The only problem is that everyone else is preparing to hibernate as well, so bear has no one to share his story with. When he wakes up, he no longer remembers his story, but he finds that he and his friends have created a story all their own. I didn't discover any profound message or deep human implication from this story, but by the end I did feel sleepy. I suppose if I were a parent of young children, I would look for books that made my kids feel sleepy at bedtime above all else.
  kquisling | Jun 3, 2016 |
I liked this book because in the end all of the bears friends got together and helped the bear remember and tell the story that he had been wanting to tell.
  Elisabeth_Reil | May 18, 2016 |
This is a fantasy book about a bear who is about to hibernate for the winter but has a story he wants to tell to his friends. All of his friends (a variety of different animals) are getting ready for the winter too, though, and don't have enough time to listen to his story, but bear helps his friends get ready for winter. After bear's hibernation, he forgets his story, but his friends help him remember. This is a really great animal fantasy book because it's believable - the animals can talk and have very human emotions while still doing normal animal things. The animals illustrate kindness and loving friendships. I would use this book to talk about what good friendships look like and how we should do our best to help our friends in need. This is a good book to talk about patience with as well. The illustrations are oil paintings.
  jessicayambra | Apr 3, 2016 |
As the title suggests, this story is about a bear with a story to tell before hibernation. He goes and visits all his animal friends, but ends up in a cycle of not remembering the story, hibernating, making the book a full circle. It's a good fantasy because it incorporates that talking animals with the natural process of hibernation, making this book a great possibility for teaching in a science setting as well as reading.
Media: pencil and watercolor ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Feb 17, 2016 |
Bear really wants to tell a story to all his friends, but they are too busy getting ready for winter. When spring comes around and his friends are ready to listen he forgets his story. They come up with a story together and the book makes a full circle starting and ending with the same sentence. GENRE: fantasy. USES: to teach seasons, talk about working together. MEDIA: watercolor and pencil.
  Adrinnon | Feb 9, 2016 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stead, Erin E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

It was almost winter and Bear was getting sleepy.
But first, Bear had a story to tell...

Bear, with the help of his animal friends, remembers the story he had hoped to tell before the onset of winter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,515,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible