For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion…

For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend

by Patricia McConnell

The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions by Stanley Coren (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: More scientific than his How Dogs Think, but still quite readable. It also contains the famous/infamous ranking of American dog breeds by intelligence, but I still say Basset Hounds rank so low because they just didn't care about the test. What Basset Hound cares if you throw a blanket over them? It's certainly not an emergency.… (more)

Patricia McConnell has to be one of the best dog behaviorists writers in the US. This book is both funny, thought provoking and advanced enough to keep the interest of those of us who have read many, many dog books and worked with hundreds of dogs. It focuses on human and dog brain functions and emotions. Don't let that technical description scare you though. It is written in a very accessible style though so would not be inappropriate for the casual dog owner who wants to have a better relationship with their dog. ( )
  cammykitty | Jul 4, 2011 |
Had to return this to the library before I was finished. Will probably pick it up again later, although so far, it doesn't seem that different from McConnell's earlier book, The Other End of the Leash. That book provided a lot of "eureka!" moments for me, as far as understanding how my dog interprets my body language.
  catalogthis | May 5, 2011 |
I liked this book quite a bit. It's a little repetitive in places, reading a bit like the chapters were written separately. Still, there was a pretty good flow. The pictures are really nice examples. I'm not as much interested in the debate of what emotions animals have since I already agree with the author that they must have them. Still one of the best dog books I've read and a good follow up on her other book "The other end of the leash"
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |
Excellent book for dog lovers or those interested in animal behavior. The author does a great job of discussing current research, opinions and philosophies (as well as areas where current research is lacking) while still keeping the book lively and entertaining. This book also contains a very thorough and useful reference section. ( )
  eslee | Feb 22, 2008 |
This book was well-written, down to earth, and extremely interesting. McConnell's descriptions of dog behavior were apparent even in my well-mannered dog. Although it did not explain some of my dog's odder behaviors (what inevitably draws me to these kinds of books), it provided a background on how my dog acts on a day to day basis. Reccomended. ( )
  23eris | Mar 22, 2007 |

Yes, humans and canines are different species, but current research provides fascinating, irrefutable evidence that what we share with our dogs is greater than how we vary. As behaviorist and zoologist Dr. Patricia McConnell tells us in this remarkable new book about emotions in dogs and in people, more and more scientists accept the premise that dogs have rich emotional lives, exhibiting a wide range of feelings including fear, anger, surprise, sadness, and love.

In For the Love of a Dog, McConnell suggests that one of the reasons we love dogs so much is that they express emotions in ways similar to humans. After all, who can communicate joy better than a puppy? But not all emotional expressions are obvious, and McConnell teaches both beginning dog owners and experienced dog lovers how to read the more subtle expressions hidden behind fuzzy faces and floppy ears.

For those of us who deeply cherish our dogs but are sometimes baffled by their behavior, For the Love of a Dog will come as a revelation–a treasure trove of useful facts, informed speculation, and intriguing accounts of man’s best friend at his worst and at his very best. Readers will discover how fear, anger, and happiness underlie the lives of both people and dogs and, most important, how understanding emotion in both species can improve the relationship between them. Thus McConnell introduces us to the possibility of a richer, more rewarding relationship with our dogs.

While we may never be absolutely certain what our dogs are feeling, with the help of this riveting book we can understand more than we ever thought possible. Those who consider their dogs part of the family will find For the Love of a Dog engaging, enlightening, and utterly engrossing.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:40 -0400)

An animal behaviorist draws on case studies and the latest scientific research to discuss the truth about a dog's emotional life, its implications for the human-canine bond, and its impact on dog training.

166 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible