How Music Works by David Byrne

How Music Works (2012)

by David Byrne

I have not yet read this, and perhaps I never will, but it looks like this could be an amazing book about music and the music industry. So I will keep it in the back of my mind as something to perhaps read whenever the urge strikes me to learn much more about the topic than the almost nothing I currently know. (I suspect this may be akin to Scott McLeod's Understanding Comics.) In the meantime, I expect I will be suggesting it to particular people I know.

I will admit that I am a sucker for good typography and good design and good paper, all of which this volume has.
  MCHBurke | Nov 29, 2015 |
A wonderful book about pretty much every aspect of music and the music business. One strange thing though: Byrne numerous times during the book talks about money and whether he made enough in a certain year or on a certain project to get by, and another time he talks about the "1 percent" who fund opera and symphonies and how 'we' aren't part of that, or some such. Hmmm. Unless he made some grave errors during his life, he is a many times over multi-millionaire, and part of the 1%, whether he likes it or not. Regardless, a great book! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 8, 2014 |
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
This really was a joy to read. Touching on all aspects (and genres) of music, from how technology shapes our perceptions of what music should be, to what to expect from a recording contract, this book really does cover it all.

David Byrne (frontman from Talking Heads), is engaging, funny, insightful, immensely knowledgeable and more importantly, enthusiastic about a subject he has dedicated his life too.

The one thing that stopped this book rating higher for me is that it sometimes reads slightly more like an autobiography than a celebration of music. Byrne obviously uses his own experience in the music business but, just occasionally, he seems to lose the subject.

Full review here ( )
  ElaineRuss | Sep 23, 2013 |
A fun, informative, helpful and inspiring read. I would encourage every muso to read this one. Byrne does depend heavily on Milne's work, but his personal anecdotes and observations are worthwhile stuff. ( )
  chriszodrow | Jun 20, 2013 |

The Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame inductee and co-founder of Talking Heads presents a celebration of music that offers insight into the roles of time, place and recording technology, discussing how evolutionary patterns of adaptations and responses to cultural and physical contexts have influenced music expression throughout history and culminated in the 20th century's transformative practices.… (more)

122 wanted3 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible