The Dragon Keeper: A Novel by Mindy Mejia

The Dragon Keeper: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Mindy Mejia

1912537,190 (4.46)2
Member:Michelle.Chiles
Title:The Dragon Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Mindy Mejia
Info:Ashland Creek Press (2012), Paperback, 286 pages

The dragon keeper : a novel by Mindy Mejia

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book some time ago and I was glad I did. I very much enjoyed the story and if I could I would share with my friends. A different story from most we read. Not real heavy with really likeable characters. A joy! ( )
  pdplish | Aug 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love zoos and that is one of the reasons I requested this book in ER. It turned out to be more than just zoo-stuff! I enjoyed getting to know the characters and see them evolve in the story. There was romance, healing, science and drama, all around good story! I'll watch for more by this author. ( )
  1crazycatlady | Feb 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an unexpected delight - by the time I started reading it, I'd entirely forgotten why I'd chosen it originally, and in isolation the title led me to expect a fantasy novel. Instead, these dragons and their keeper are contemporary American fiction at it's muddled, beautiful and human best. Meg is a fascinating protagonist, and she and her colleagues - and her dragons - felt very real, which kept me turning the pages, desperate to know how things would work out. (It's also that rare creature - a debut novel from an American MFA graduate that doesn't taste generic MFA-lit-fic'y. It's beautifully crafted, but it also has something to say, and the craft amplifies rather than overpowers) ( )
  AlexDraven | Jan 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I never received this book as an early reviewer. I honestly forgot that I was awarded this book, I checked several times for it when the announcement was first made, but I never received my copy. Disappointing as it seems that most people enjoyed it.
  Michelle.Chiles | Dec 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was quite an unusual book about on the life of Meg, who is in charge of the lizards and reptiles at the ‘Zoo of America’, and the complications in both her private and her work life. The first part skips backwards and forwards either side of the hatching of the eggs of Jata a Komodo dragon, which can be a bit disconcerting at first, but means that you gradually find out background relevant to what is happening in the story rather than getting this all first. Overall I thought the book worked well and would recommend it as something a bit different in the way of novels. ( )
  fancett | Nov 17, 2012 |

A zookeeper fights to save the animal she loves, even as her own life crumbles around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Dragon Keeper: A Novel by Mindy Mejia was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible