Shattered Silence: Men of the Texas Rangers…

Shattered Silence: Men of the Texas Rangers / Book 2 (edition 2012)

by Margaret Daley

224476,730 (4)None
Member:Glenajo
Title:Shattered Silence: Men of the Texas Rangers / Book 2
Authors:Margaret Daley
Info:Abingdon Press (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Christian_fiction, romantic_suspense, contemporary, Texas_Rangers, bullying, Texas, woman_police, Margaret_Daley

Shattered Silence by Margaret Daley

Durango, Texas has a problem with a killer, and Lillianna Rodriguez is the police investigator in charge. Her partner is about to go on vacation, but Rodriguez is not looking forward to a stranger helping her investigate. To remove his son from the influence of his white supremacist stepfather, Texas Ranger Cody Jackson just moved to Durango with his son, only to be immediately consumed in the investigation. Variations on the theme of bullying twist through the story and include abuse against people due to race, physical handicap, or members of a family, while Rodriguez and Jackson romance enjoy each other.

This is a good romantic suspense novel wrapped around a murder investigation as each party deals with family issues. Put this on your ‘to read’ list if you enjoy a quick romantic suspense.

Received from NetGalley. ( )
  Glenajo | Dec 3, 2012 |
Title: Shattered Silence: The Men of the Texas Rangers #2
Author: Margret Daley
Pages: 336
Year: 2012
Publisher: Abingdon Press
Shattered Silence is the sequel to Saving Hope in the Men of Texas Rangers series written by Margret Daley. The first book in the series is a stand-alone story as is the second book in this series. Here, the story entails the battles that rage deep within the heart and soul of the characters. One man is a janitor who has a disability, but longs to be noticed by others around him. While Elena befriends him, Juan’s past holds him such a captive that his actions have serious consequences.
Ranger Cody Jackson now finds himself a full-time father to a son he hardly knows due to the death of his ex-wife. Cody has kept himself from having any serious relationships because of the pain caused by his former wife. Yet, as he works with Elena, who is a first rate detective, he finds himself becoming alive again. Is he willing to risk being hurt again by thinking he might have a future with Elena? Kyle, Cody’s son, has been heavily influenced by his step-father for many years. Now, he finds himself in a new area of Texas. Filled with anger at God and his dad, he begins to hang out with a group of guys that may lead him down a dangerous road. Who is the one person that he begins a friendship with in spite of all that he was influenced to stay away from before?
There are many different emotions and events depicted in the story, showing the possible implications of hate, racial and cultural differences, and physical abuse. Of course, there is so much more including a mystery man who is running guns and illegal people into the United Sates. What is their fate and who is calling the shots, profiting from such enterprises?
One of the points in this work of fiction is showing how our views of others based on many things can have far reaching consequences we can’t imagine. When Elan’s sister, who has two children, is constantly being abused by her husband, what will it take for her to wake up to the reality that this isn’t love? We see through the characters’ interactions how hard it is when people have to deal with a situation, but even when help is offered, they refuse. The pain of those in the immediate situation as well as others who love the people involved comes shining through in this work of fiction.
You can catch a glimpse of the ramifications of law enforcement’s work protecting people from crime. Strong family ties can lead people to stick together through all kinds of life situations; they can also lead some down a wrong and destructive path. Reading about the lengths the characters go through to track down a killer, bullies, and abusers keeps the suspense going to the last page.

When I read the first book, I wondered what direction the author would take with her series. Would she write the story with the same characters? How would she handle the antagonists and crimes? Who would turn out to be the heroes and who would be the villains? Margret Daley brings to the forefront in this book other issues that societies have to face and choose to deal with them or ignore them. I think it is a wonderful, exciting, suspenseful, and riveting series. If possible, read both books in the series. You won’t be sorry!
My rating 5+ stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 26, 2012 |
After the death of his ex-wife, Texas Ranger Cody Jackson and his fifteen year old son Kyle moved from Houston to Durango. He wanted to get his son away from the dangers of the city and out of the influential clutches of his step-father, who belongs to a white-supremacist group currently under investigation. Unfortunately some of the step-father's bigoted racial influences has rubbed off on Kyle, causing him trouble at school. Cody also moved to Durango to help find the person who was responsible for the shooting of his mentor, Texas Ranger Al Garcia, who was forced into retirement.

Liliana Rodriguez is a Detective with the Durango Police Department. Liliana is no stranger to trouble, she grew up in an abusive household, and her sister Elena is continuing the vicious cycle of staying in an abusive marriage.

When a serial killer targets illegal Mexican immigrants in Durango, Cody and Liliana are partnered together to investigate the murders. As they work together to solve the murder cases and a case involving a smuggling ring, there is an attraction that builds between them even though they try to fight it. With tensions building in the community between Americans and Mexicans, and the struggle to deal with their own personal issues, can Cody and Liliana solve the cases and find love among the tension and violence?

Shattered Silence is a suspense thriller that packs a powerful punch. Mixing murder, racism, bigotry, bullying, and domestic violence with a healthy dose of romance, faith and inspiration, author Margaret Daley weaves another spellbinding tale in the second book of the Men of the Texas Rangers Series. While this book may be part of a series, each book has new characters and can stand alone. Written in the third person narrative with alternating perspectives by Cody and Liliana, this riveting story has a lot of subplots that will keep you engaged and guessing what will happen next.

Rich in details, vivid descriptions and intriguing subplots; with characters that are realistic and complex; and with dialogue and interactions that are engaging, Shattered Silence is an exciting story full of romance, suspense and thrilling twists and turns that make this one heck of an entertaining read!

Shattered Silence is part of a series of books that combines romance and suspense with social issues and Christian inspiration and faith that will engage and entertain readers from beginning to end, and keep you yearning for more.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Pump Up Your Book! Virtual Book Publicity Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/10/shattered-silence-by-margaret-... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Oct 12, 2012 |
Illegal aliens are being targeted by a serial killer. The first victim was a pregnant Hispanic woman. Maria a young child was a witness to this but the killer at the time did not know the child was in the abandoned house. Liliana Rodriguez, a police officer and Cody Jackson a Texas Ranger band together to try to solve this mystery. Each have their own set of problems. Cody Jackson is raising his son after his ex-wife died. He's trying to undo all the damage that his bigoted ex wife's husband inflicted on his son. Liliana has her own set of problems. She grew up in an abusive household. Her mother never would leave the abusive husband. Liliana's sister Eleana is repeating the same cycle were her own marriage to an abusive man.

To be honest I did not like this book as much as I liked the first book in the series. Too much police work and at times I got confused at all the suspects in the story. I think the chemistry between Liliana and Cody was a bit lacking but that's just my opinion. I think the storyline of the abuse that went on in her sister's marriage was written well. I got really frustrated with the sister for putting up with her abusive marriage. I hope the message gets across to the reader that there are options. You don't have to stay in an abusive relationship. There are people and services to help you. I hope the message gets across to break the cycle.

This book is due to be released in September 2012. Thanks for Netgalley and Abingdon Press for providing me with this ebook to review. ( )
  kaykwilts | Jul 28, 2012 |

Texas Ranger Cody Jackson is paired with local police officer Liliana Rodriguez as they investigate a serial killer targeting illegal aliens and try to calm the growing unrest of the Mexican Americans who live in the area.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,461,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible