Walter the Farting Dog by William Kotzwinkle

Walter the Farting Dog

by William Kotzwinkle, Audrey Colman (Illustrator), Glenn Murray

Funny fictional story about a dog that has gas problems, that children love no matter what. Despite the dog becoming a annoyance due to his constant flatulence, the mother and father accepted Walter the dog after they woke in the morning and found out the dog saved the family's possessions from being robed and protecting the family. The story shows a dog that shows concern about being a burden in the family, face a case that could be real, and teaches children that it is OK to have flatulence, and to not make fun of others when these normal body functions take place. This colorful book is illustrated in a cartoon art form and the dog's representation captures the reader's eyes because there is always a flatulence cloud hovering around Walter.
  eearly15 | Mar 24, 2016 |
My nephew received this book as a Christmas gift, along with the stuffed dog that actually farts. So when I found a copy at the used bookshop, I had to have it. It's hilarious, using humor to teach the reader to accept people despite flaws - even smelly ones. The art is a bit odd for my taste. It's had a cut-from-the-magazine feel, but it still conveys the store in bright colors and shapes. A fun read for kids and parents. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 13, 2016 |
33 months - O thinks this book is funny. She has a habit of picking up new vocabulary from books and I'm waiting for the day she tells someone they have "rectal flatulence"!!! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Summary: Walter is a great dog with a very bad flatulence problem. The kids in his family love him but their father says he has to go back to the dog pound. However, there is a burglar that breaks into their house and Walter has the chance to be a hero.

Personal connection: My parents got me this book when I was younger and it always made me laugh so hard. This is not your average book, but it is so funny!

Class use: Use this book to help teach students that even our faults can be turned into strengths. Have students pick a weakness they have and explore how that makes them unique and interesting. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. The first reason is that the illustrations are different from many other picture books. The illustrations are silly and look a little more realistic. The second reason is that even though the story line is silly, the language teaches children new vocabulary such as "rectal flatulence" instead of "farting." The third reason is that the plot is overall a humorous, but still includes multiple conflicts and resolutions. The big idea of this story is to accept someone for who they truly are. ( )
  mzellh1 | Feb 25, 2015 |

William Kotzwinkleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colman, AudreyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Murray, Glennmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For everyone who's felt misjudged or misunderstood
Betty and Billy brought Walter home from the dog pound.

Warning: This book may cause flatulence. Walter is a fine dog, except for one small problem: he has gas. He can't help it; it's just the way he is. Fortunately, the kids Billy and Betty love him regardless, but Father says he's got to go! Poor Walter, he's going to the dog pound tomorrow.

And then, in the night, burglars strike. Walter has his chance to be a hero. Destined to become a children's classic, this story will have kids rolling on the floor with laughter. Adults are permitted to laugh too.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143500880, Paperback)

We hold this truth to be self-evident: farting makes kids laugh. Walter, an apologetic-looking dog adopted from the pound, passes gas morning, noon, and night, no matter what he eats, whether it's a 25-pound bag of low-fart dog biscuits, cat food, or fried chicken. On the bright side, "If Uncle Irv let one slip, he just went and stood near Walter." When Father reaches the limit of his patience with Walter's flatulence, he decides the pooch is once again pound-bound, despite Betty and Billy's pleading. Poor Walter knows his days are numbered and "He resolved to hold in his farts forever." That very night, two burglars break into Walter's family's house, and (you can see where this is going) Walter gasses the burglars with a "hideous cloud" that forces them to drop their loot and run into the clutches of the police officers, "choking and gasping for air." The next morning Father and Mother discover Walter has saved the day--or at least their silverware and VCR. "And so the family learned to live with Walter, the hero dog. And that is the end of our tail." (Or is it? Fans will be pleased to discover the next book Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble at the Yard Sale.) Audrey Colman's highly stylized illustrations, imbued with a surreal, Monty Pythonesque collage look, are as absurdly comical as this silly story that is purely powered by natural gas. (Ages 5 to 8) --Karin Snelson

A Q&A with Illustrator Audrey Colman

Q: How did you become interested in children's book illustration? Why did you decide to illustrate this particular book?

A: I didn't plan to do children's book illustration. As a freelance artist, I regularly sent out art samples to various businesses. I sent art to North Atlantic Books in hopes of doing book jackets, and approximately a year later they approached me with Walter the Farting Dog by William Kotzwinkle. I was very excited because I was a big fan of Kotzwinkle's (not-for-children) book, Dr. Rat, about the wretched reality of the lives of laboratory animals. I'd recommended this book to many over the years and I would never have passed up an opportunity to work on a project with Kotzwinkle. Of course, it wasn't exactly an animal rights-themed picture book, but I expected that we'd agree on how animals would be depicted.

Q: Many people think "potty humor" is inappropriate in literature. Do you think there's a benefit?

A: If it encourages reading and laughing, it's beneficial.

Q: Everyone is asking about the spider that shows up throughout the book. Is there a particular story you’d like to share about the spider?

A: I'm often asked where the spider is on the Fart-Free Biskwee page in Walter the Farting Dog. Sometimes I say that he's hiding in the cupboard on that page, but the truth is that I just forgot that one. I tried to be careful not to leave out the spider in subsequent books so I wouldn't have to apologize again. (Who knew that so many people would notice my goof?) In any case, sorry for my mistakes and any ensuing confusion!

Q: Walter the Farting Dog spent an incredible 75 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list after it was first released in 2001, and there is even a Walter plush toy--that farts when you squeeze it. Are you surprised with how well this book has been received by parents and kids alike?

A: Of course! It's been ten years and five Walter books in the series later, and I'm still not always sure which ingredients are responsible for a book's success or failure!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

Walter the dog creates problems with his farts but becomes a hero when burglars enter the house.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible