The Garden of Eden by Eve Adams

The Garden of Eden

by Eve Adams

More...please!

I just plain enjoyed this book! It doesn't fit any genre...not a 'mystery', not a 'thriller', etc. Just tells a story about folks living a not quite ordinary life.The characters were likeable. Kind of like hearing the local 'gossip' from your best friend. Rules were bent at appropriate times. People got what was coming to them. And the main story had a happy ending. My only complaint is there were too many questions left unanswered....too many stories that were not ended. Maybe a little too 'real life' in that respect. For example, did the author find his 'true love'? What happens with the town drunk and the widow next door? What do the 'kids' do after HS graduation.....does college end their relationship? I enjoyed the book....but it left me wanting more!

Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
A book to take you away from the ordinary day!
This book was a quick and wonderful read. The characters were well thought out and the storyline was tightly woven to keep the reader enticed enough not to want to put the book down. This book only took me 4 days to read and I found in captivating and amusing from start to finish! Definetely a rainy day or book club option!

I would recommend Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner and Little Children by Tom Perrota as a similar read. ( )
  Sunflower6_Cris | Aug 28, 2009 |
on of the most entertaining book I have ever read. Well written ( )
  lhossler | Oct 28, 2008 |

As touching as it is humorous, The Garden of Eden is a parable for our time with a powerful and ultimately redemptive ending that speaks to oft underappreciated virtues such as loyalty (sticking with those you love even when they screw up royally), tolerance, and forgiveness. It's also about the values that keep America together---the simple solutions ordinary people find to keep their small communities strong.
Trooper Sam Neely is fresh out of the State Police academy and finds himself assigned to the dullest backwater town he's never heard of. Things heat up quickly in Eden, U.S.A., however, when Ed Harris, the banker, finds his wife in bed with his best friend, Hayden Elkins. Ed picks up a shotgun, escorts them both to the door, and tells friend Hayden, "Guess what? She's yours!"
"I've got a wife, Ed," says Hayden.
"Now you have two. . . ."
Forced to take his paramour to live under his own roof (after all, they had only intended to share an afternoon of delight, not to leave their spouses), Hayden suddenly finds himself the butt of every joke in town.
That's where things start to spin out of control.
Before long, Elijah Murphy, the town drunk, and the snooping widow next door, to whom he'd exposed himself, are falling in love; sleazy Sheriff's Deputy Delmar Clay is about to get a butt-full of birdshot for the pictures he's been snapping of young couples getting hot and heavy in parked cars; and the Barrow Boys are out of jail and looking for trouble. Soon, Neely finds that managing the crises in the sticks is a full-time job, and it takes a whole community---from the compassionate local magistrate to the new female preacher---to keep things from exploding big-city style.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, she's attractive and well-mannered but only a few close friends - which isn't surprising, considering Sookie has abilities as a mind reader. It's not a quality that has the guys beating down her door - unless they're vampires, werewolves, or other supernatural beings. And now some of them aren't just friendly - they're family. When Sookie sees her brother Jason's eyes start to change, she knows he's about to turn into a werepanther for the first time. Her concern for her brother becomes cold fear when a sniper sets his deadly sights on the local changeling population - and Jason's new panther brethren suspect he may be the shooter. Now, Sookie has until the next full moon to find out who's behind the attacks - unless the killer decides to find her first.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible