The Promise of Stardust: A Novel by…

The Promise of Stardust: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Priscille Sibley

Member:ltcl
Title:The Promise of Stardust: A Novel
Authors:Priscille Sibley
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley (2013)

Recently added byprivate library, kylerhea, mjcjones, grovender, Monica91280, arena55, chellebuck79
    Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott (chazzard)
    chazzard: Both focus on the ethics of keeping mom alive until unborn baby is old enough to survive, and the effects this has on family.

Love story (and yes it is an amazing love story) told from husband's point of view. I do love his character but he comes across almost feminine in the storytelling. Not that he is a feminine kind of guy..He is not. The author just made it feel like your best girl friend was telling the story. That doesn't make alot of sense. Lol so I guess you need to read the book to see what I am babbling about.

You do become very attached to these characters. I thought I knew my stand on the subject but after reading this book you wonder. I can and could see both sides. The author does a wonderful job with giving both sides of the picture.

This book did wear me out though. I cried almost constantly. Be warned. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Let me tell you that this controversial novel made an excellent book club selection. Most of the ladies in my book club are conservative so although we loved the story most of us found ourselves frustrated with the situation at hand. Sibley did a wonderful job of creating a story that could easily be ripped from the headlines of today, making you wonder, "What is the right decision?"

Linney had an advanced directive in place indicating she never wanted to be kept on life support if there was no chance for recovery from an illness or accident. She watched her mother die a slow and painful death and did not want to put herself or her loved ones through a similar experience. How could she foresee that she could possibly be pregnant in this exact situation? Would she change her mind about life support if it could save the life of the unborn child that she and Matt have tried so desperately to conceive? These are the questions Matt struggles with as he fights for the life of his unborn child.

As Matt struggles to keep Linney alive long enough to bring their baby into this world, he must confront a new fight against several people who believe the physicians should follow her wishes. This book tugged at the heartstrings page after page as we watch Matt struggle with his decisions. He reads through her many journals that were started before they were even married, looking for clues to what she would actually want.

I don't want to give any more of this novel away as the intensity builds as new legal implications arise with the situation. I did enjoy this novel and you may find it just as enjoyable with themes of love, promises, and a medical lawsuit. I don't hesitate in recommending this novel for either personal leisure or as a book club selection. ( )
  jo-jo | Aug 2, 2014 |
After the marathon reading of this book, (sucked me in and wouldn't let me go until the last page), I felt like I just spent 6 months back and forth in the hospital, sitting by Elle's side and then in the courtroom behind Matt and Jake. I am exhausted and drained. The writing was so superb that it drew such deep emotion, that I wept for the family, as if they were part of mine. The topic is so controversial. I can see all sides and understand how each member is torn by what is the right thing to do. Truly a heartwrenching masterpiece that was needed to be told. ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Loved it ! A True love story. Loved it ! ( )
  Samqua | Dec 18, 2013 |
I added this book to my ‘to read’ list when I noticed the beautiful cover. I love the starry night sky! Then I read the synopsis and it read like a Jodi Picoult story. I was even more convinced I wanted to read it. Somewhere along the way I lost track of it. And when I noticed it again, I read the reviews and noticed that a lot of people were not saying good things about it. So I set it aside.

Then a few weeks ago, I had a long trip planned and needed to load up my ereader with library books. A lot of my choices were not available, but this one was. So, even though I didn’t expect to like it much, I added it to my iPad, because it cost me nothing to try it and not finish. I’m so glad I did!

Matt is a talented, dedicated neurosurgeon. Elle is a bright, recently retired astronaut. They have known each other since the day Elle was born and loved each other almost as long! One day Matt receives a call from his partner saying he needs to be in ER stat! His beautiful wife has had an accident. When Matt arrives, he realizes there is no hope for her; she is brain dead! He also knows that the only thing that Elle was more afraid of than dying, was NOT dying when her condition was hopeless. So he realizes he will make the choice to have her removed from life support. UNTIL.....he learns she is pregnant! He quickly decides she will be kept alive in order to give the baby a chance to live. That would not be a problem, except that his family, his mother and his brother-in-law, decide that Elle should NOT be on life support; that she has made it clear she did not want to live this way. A legal battle ensues.

There are no ‘bad guys’ in this story. Every character acts as he does because he believes he is doing the right thing, and they all act out of love. But the question is.... what is the right thing to do in this situation. There is a lot to think about as you read and ponder how you would act, and a lot to discuss. The book has a reading group guide at the back. The Promise of Stardust would be a great pick for a book club!

This is the author’s debut novel. I can’t wait to read more from her!

My Rating: ★★★★1/2 4-1/2 Stars ( )
  Time2Read2 | Aug 1, 2013 |
Sibley does a wonderful job of exploring a complex and controversial moral issue, skillfully giving both sides of the story. She also draws on her experience as a neonatal intensive-care nurse to make complicated medical procedures interesting and easy to understand.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Oct 15, 2012)

As for me, to love you alone, to make you happy, to do nothing which would contradict your wishes, this is my destiny and the meaning of my life.  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
For Tim, who has given me his heart and the courage to write.  And for Robert, Cole, and Ethan, who have taught me why it is important to never give up.
Late that night--on our last night--we lay in awe, mesmerized again by the Perseid meteor showers as they transformed stardust into streamers of light.

"After an accident leaves his wife Elle brain dead, Matt Beaulieu, resolving to take her off life support, changes his mind when the doctors discover that she is pregnant - a decision that results in a controversial legal battle with Elle's family." -- from publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible