The Promise of Stardust: A Novel by…

The Promise of Stardust: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Priscille Sibley

2203152,892 (4.2)7
Title:The Promise of Stardust: A Novel
Authors:Priscille Sibley
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley (2013)

Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott (chazzard)
    chazzard: Both focus on the ethics of keeping mom alive until unborn baby is old enough to survive, and the effects this has on family.

Elle McClure and Matt Beaulieu grew up next door to each other and Matt always knew he would marry Elle. Despite some ups and downs in their relationship they did marry. Everything was perfect except for the fact that Elle had trouble carrying babies to term. After the heartbreak of several miscarriages and a stillbirth they decided to give up trying. Being a neurosurgeon Matt knew the implications of brain death, but when Elle falls off a ladder, Matt faces a difficult decision. Knowing Elle never wanted to be kept alive on life support because of the suffering she watched her mother go through, he never the less had a difficult decision to make. A decision made even more impossible when he is informed Elle is pregnant again. Acting against the wishes of family and the advice of doctors and friends, and knowing that Elle is gone and the baby may not make it anyway, he takes on a court case to keep Elle alive long enough to deliver their child.

I enjoyed the concept of the book, and the author did a fine job of making the reader connect with both sides of Matt’s dilemma, but ultimately the book was a little bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the back-story to Matt and Elle’s lives but felt the whole moral and emotional turmoil Matt was going through was too drawn out and extremely repetitive. The ending was a little too long in arriving and very predictable. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Love story (and yes it is an amazing love story) told from husband's point of view. I do love his character but he comes across almost feminine in the storytelling. Not that he is a feminine kind of guy..He is not. The author just made it feel like your best girl friend was telling the story. That doesn't make alot of sense. Lol so I guess you need to read the book to see what I am babbling about.

You do become very attached to these characters. I thought I knew my stand on the subject but after reading this book you wonder. I can and could see both sides. The author does a wonderful job with giving both sides of the picture.

This book did wear me out though. I cried almost constantly. Be warned. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Let me tell you that this controversial novel made an excellent book club selection. Most of the ladies in my book club are conservative so although we loved the story most of us found ourselves frustrated with the situation at hand. Sibley did a wonderful job of creating a story that could easily be ripped from the headlines of today, making you wonder, "What is the right decision?"

Linney had an advanced directive in place indicating she never wanted to be kept on life support if there was no chance for recovery from an illness or accident. She watched her mother die a slow and painful death and did not want to put herself or her loved ones through a similar experience. How could she foresee that she could possibly be pregnant in this exact situation? Would she change her mind about life support if it could save the life of the unborn child that she and Matt have tried so desperately to conceive? These are the questions Matt struggles with as he fights for the life of his unborn child.

As Matt struggles to keep Linney alive long enough to bring their baby into this world, he must confront a new fight against several people who believe the physicians should follow her wishes. This book tugged at the heartstrings page after page as we watch Matt struggle with his decisions. He reads through her many journals that were started before they were even married, looking for clues to what she would actually want.

I don't want to give any more of this novel away as the intensity builds as new legal implications arise with the situation. I did enjoy this novel and you may find it just as enjoyable with themes of love, promises, and a medical lawsuit. I don't hesitate in recommending this novel for either personal leisure or as a book club selection. ( )
  jo-jo | Aug 2, 2014 |
After the marathon reading of this book, (sucked me in and wouldn't let me go until the last page), I felt like I just spent 6 months back and forth in the hospital, sitting by Elle's side and then in the courtroom behind Matt and Jake. I am exhausted and drained. The writing was so superb that it drew such deep emotion, that I wept for the family, as if they were part of mine. The topic is so controversial. I can see all sides and understand how each member is torn by what is the right thing to do. Truly a heartwrenching masterpiece that was needed to be told. ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Loved it ! A True love story. Loved it ! ( )
  Samqua | Dec 18, 2013 |
Sibley does a wonderful job of exploring a complex and controversial moral issue, skillfully giving both sides of the story. She also draws on her experience as a neonatal intensive-care nurse to make complicated medical procedures interesting and easy to understand.
added by DorsVenabili | editBooklist, Kerri Price (pay site) (Oct 15, 2012)
As for me, to love you alone, to make you happy, to do nothing which would contradict your wishes, this is my destiny and the meaning of my life.  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
For Tim, who has given me his heart and the courage to write.  And for Robert, Cole, and Ethan, who have taught me why it is important to never give up.
Late that night--on our last night--we lay in awe, mesmerized again by the Perseid meteor showers as they transformed stardust into streamers of light.

"After an accident leaves his wife Elle brain dead, Matt Beaulieu, resolving to take her off life support, changes his mind when the doctors discover that she is pregnant - a decision that results in a controversial legal battle with Elle's family." -- from publisher.… (more)

12 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,836,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible