Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson

Who Moved My Cheese? (1998)

by Spencer Johnson

English (118)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (126)
(note: this was among my to-be-reviewed books that ended up in the hands of the wrong people when moving 4/1/18 - see https://btripp-books.livejournal.com/206862.html for details - I did brief reviews of these lost books on recall)
(finished 10/30/17)
I'd been aware of this title for quite a while, but ran across something somewhere that was highly recommending it, so picked up a copy. Now, as regular readers of my reviews know, I have very little patience with “parables”, but being one of those sorts of things (it deals with mice in a maze) it's a reasonably painless read, with some fairly worthwhile bits and pieces. Of course, no longer having the book (and my bookmarks pointing out the good parts), I can't reference these, but it struck me as a worthwhile title.
  BTRIPP | May 9, 2019 |
Who moved my cheese is a charming and entertaining book that uses a fable to show how to handle change which can be stressful in work and life. It’s a pretty popular book and I wouldn’t be surprised if you knew this book. Having said that, I believe the book is worth coming back as it’s a really quick read. Anyway, the fable in the book is about four characters who live in a maze, two mice named Sniff and Scurry and two little people, named Hem and Haw, who were as small as mice. They all love cheese, and once they found it at cheese station they got very comfortable and expected the cheese will always be there. They took the cheese for granted and, eventually, moved their homes next to the station. Unfortunately, it has created a false sense of security as they assumed that their hard work and finding the cheese justified an endless supply of it. Suddenly, when the cheese disappears Scurry and Sniff enthusiastically head out into the maze in order to find new cheese. On the other hand, Hem and Haw feel cheated and complain they waste their time and energy hoping the old cheese will return. After a while, Haw realises the old cheese won’t return so he heads out into the maze in search for new cheese. Along with his journey, he writes what he learns on the walls hoping that Hem will follow him. Eventually, he discovers the new cheese and sees that Scurry and Sniff have already found it.

As you might guess the plot is a metaphor for what you want to have in life. It could be a fulfilling job, a relationship, money, business success or health. The very core... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog https://leadersarereaders.blog/2019/01/10/whomovedmycheese/) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
Very worthwhile reminders of some basic attitudes for happiness. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
A good book for anyone planning social or organizational change. Highly recommended ( )
  IVOLOKITA | Jan 9, 2019 |
Simple story. Big impact.

I'm a bit of Scurry and Haw.

Fun read to apply to my professional and personal life. ( )
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |
There are many popular books that talk about change – how it is inevitable and how to accept it. Perhaps none explain it in a format you will always remember.

Spencer Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blanchard, KennethForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tol, Pim vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torné, MontserratTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once, long ago in a land far away, there lived four little creatures who ran through a maze looking for cheese to nourish them and make them happy.
'Cheese' is metaphor for what you want to have in life—whether it is a good job, a loving relationship, money, a possession, health, or spiritual peace of mind.
ISBN 1101496991 is for Prime Crime Holiday Bundle by Emily Brightwell

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399144463, Hardcover)

Change can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective. The message of Who Moved My Cheese? is that all can come to see it as a blessing, if they understand the nature of cheese and the role it plays in their lives. Who Moved My Cheese? is a parable that takes place in a maze. Four beings live in that maze: Sniff and Scurry are mice--nonanalytical and nonjudgmental, they just want cheese and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Hem and Haw are "littlepeople," mouse-size humans who have an entirely different relationship with cheese. It's not just sustenance to them; it's their self-image. Their lives and belief systems are built around the cheese they've found. Most of us reading the story will see the cheese as something related to our livelihoods--our jobs, our career paths, the industries we work in--although it can stand for anything, from health to relationships. The point of the story is that we have to be alert to changes in the cheese, and be prepared to go running off in search of new sources of cheese when the cheese we have runs out.

Dr. Johnson, coauthor of The One Minute Manager and many other books, presents this parable to business, church groups, schools, military organizations--anyplace where you find people who may fear or resist change. And although more analytical and skeptical readers may find the tale a little too simplistic, its beauty is that it sums up all natural history in just 94 pages: Things change. They always have changed and always will change. And while there's no single way to deal with change, the consequence of pretending change won't happen is always the same: The cheese runs out. --Lou Schuler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:43 -0400)

A parable that teaches lessons about change and how to deal with it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible