Nine tomorrows : tales of the near future by…

Nine tomorrows : tales of the near future (1959)

by Isaac Asimov

Recently added byAnirudhTewathia, CaseyFen2, M.Bird, Spurts, private library, Gerard_Scott, Rachelzorel

I'd have to reread other collections by Asimov to see if they hold up, but this wasn't actually as wonderful as I'd remembered & hoped. There were no Robot stories. Many of the stories were about Multivac and other huge computers - the good doctor was def. in a certain post-WWII frame of mind.

Most notably this is the collection that contains the story that became the novel [b:The Ugly Little Boy|195450|The Ugly Little Boy|Isaac Asimov|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1266493683s/195450.jpg|1504942]. Now I've got to say, I have read them both before. And I still don't recall what the novel has that the story doesn't. The story makes its point powerfully & gracefully, thank you very much. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed this early collection of Asimov stories. I especially liked the stories about the supercomputer Multivac and the story "The Ugly Little Boy" about a lost boy far from home. ( )
  krin5292 | Nov 30, 2014 |
Good stories though some have not aged well. ( )
  michael.confoy.tamu | May 18, 2014 |
Has "The Last Question" in, one of the greatest science fiction short stories ever. ( )
  mumfie | Feb 6, 2011 |
I needed a short book to occupy my time between waiting for Phil Lesh's book about playing bass in the Grateful Dead and taking a short break from studying Greek history. This was a good choice, what could be better than nine great Asimov short stories? Some are better than others, of course, but they are all good. There is just something about speculative 1950's scifi. It makes me think of Happy Days and Star Trek at the same time. ( )
  DirtPriest | Sep 10, 2010 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lehr, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Betty Shapian

Is there any difference between memory and invention? That is the question that haunts Alexander Cleave as he plumbs the memories of his first, and perhaps only, love and of his daughter, lost to a kind of madness that Cleave can't understand. When his acting career is suddenly revived with a movie role portraying a man who may not be who he says he is, his young leading lady gives him the opportunity to see with clarity the chasm that yawns between doing something and the recollection of what was done.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,848,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible