The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Tombs of Atuan (1971)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (2)

6,549108581 (4)222

English (102)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  All (108)
Remember how I said the first book read like it was written by an anthropologist? This is where that distinction becomes all the more pertinent. Seriously. In [b:The Tombs of Atuan|13662|The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1417900879s/13662.jpg|1322146] the focus shifts away from Sparrowhawk to a young priestess in the Karged lands. The entire culture is explored, as well as the concept of religion, in a way that is startling now for when it was written. I'm sure it'd startle the life out of a new young reader for sure, but hopefully in a good way.

Reading reviews prior to reading it myself, it seems that this book had a very polarizing affect on readers. I can understand why. Not everyone wants to sit down and explore the concept of religious power vs. political power in a country where the reins are changing. Not everyone wants to study how being viewed as a high priestess affect a young girl. Personally, I was riveted by it and genuinely uneasy as they worked their way through the labyrinth underground. I enjoyed the sly nod to Akkadian artwork and the way the story expanded upon a brief sentence in the book prior.

It's a lovely book, and a worthy sequel. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Tenar is found to be the next reincarnation of Arha, the priestess of the Nameless Ones, and is taken away at the age of 5 for training to resume her role. Although the course of her life seems pre-ordained, she makes a choice that sends her on another path.

I was so wrapped up in this book and its world building that I hardly noticed till the end that actually by the standard of most fantasy not a lot really happened. And yet, from another viewpoint it did. Wonderful. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 14, 2018 |
The second Earthsea book eschews the travelogue approach of book one and sets much of the action in a labyrinth. Sparrowhawk/Ged is more the secondary character here with Arha/Tenar being the main focus. Darker than the first book and perhaps the most satisfying of the first three. ( )
  schteve | Apr 16, 2018 |
Un deuxième tome très différent du premier, je me suis d'ailleurs demandée si je ne m'étais pas trompée dans l'ordre de lecture, mais non, c'est juste une histoire totalement différente, pas spécialement dans la continuité du premier, avec un tout autre point de vue, celui d'une femme cette fois-ci, liée par les obligations de son soi-disant destin, qui rencontrera notre sorcier du premier tome. Si dans le premier tome, on découvrait un garçon qui devient sorcier, il s'agit ici d'un sorcier dans la force de l'âge et de ses pouvoirs.
L'écriture elle-même semble s'adapter au changement d'histoire, avec par exemple une unité géographique très nette (ce qui n'était pas du tout le cas du premier). C'est d'ailleurs en partie cette unité de lieu, un lieu triste et immuable depuis une éternité ou pas loin, qui donne le ton au récit: plus noir, plus angoissant, on suit l'héroïne en espérant qu'elle s'ébroue de la pesanteur de son destin imposé... ( )
  elisala | Feb 16, 2018 |
The first Earthsea book is about growing up. The third is about death. This one is about sexual awakening, from a female perspective -- though there's not a hint of actual sex in it. (Symbolism, it's called.) My own formulation; it was a great ego-boost when I saw that Le Guin said pretty much this, somewhere.
  sonofcarc | Nov 19, 2017 |
Carol Reich (KLIATT Review, March 1995 (Vol. 29, No. 2))
Le Guin's 1970 fantasy for YAs (part two of the Earthsea Trilogy) has held up well over the decades and remains engaging. Narrative predominates throughout, but during the dialogue Inglis' voiced characters are never confusing to the listener. The three main female voices are acceptably done, the two main male voices are well done, the recording is clear, and Inglis is skilled enough to drop out of character for phrases such as "she said." Between the two of them, Le Guin and Inglis paint a vivid picture of the devious, threatening labyrinth that exists both underneath the temple and within the heart of the High Priestess whom the Wizard Ged rescues from service to the Nameless Ones. This book can stand alone. Category: Fiction Audiobooks. KLIATT Codes: JS*--Exceptional book, recommended for junior and senior high school students. 1994, Recorded Books, 4 tapes, 5.5 hrs.
added by kthomp25 | editKLIATT, Carol Reich (Mar 1, 1995)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garraty, GailIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, Anne YvonneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guay, RebeccaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paronis, MargotTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the redhead from Telluride
"Come home, Tenar!" (prologue)
One high horn shrilled and ceased.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689845367, Mass Market Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this second book of Le Guin's Earthsea series, readers will meet Tenar, a priestess to the "Nameless Ones" who guard the catacombs of the Tombs of Atuan. Only Tenar knows the passageways of this dark labyrinth, and only she can lead the young wizard Sparrowhawk, who stumbles into its maze, to the greatest treasure of all. Will she?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

Arha's isolated existence as high priestess in the tombs of Atuan is jarred by a thief who seeks a special treasure.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,198,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible