The Tombs of Atuan by Urslua K. Leguin

The Tombs of Atuan (original 1971; edition 1979)

by Urslua K. Leguin

5,291None830 (3.99)141
Member:trochaic
Title:The Tombs of Atuan
Authors:Urslua K. Leguin
Info:Bantam (1979), Paperback

The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin (1971)

Recently added byjlb457, private library, alkaidlee, wiggle363, Ms.Morgan, sherryzmezzo, darnia, polymnia, ChrisChalmers
American (22) children's (37) children's literature (26) dragons (30) Earthsea (307) Earthsea Cycle (64) fantasy (1,432) fantasy fiction (21) fiction (582) high fantasy (30) Le Guin (42) magic (129) Newbery Honor (36) novel (79) own (40) owned (20) paperback (44) read (93) religion (23) science fiction (164) series (97) sf (47) sff (98) speculative fiction (27) to-read (48) unread (27) Ursula K. Le Guin (26) wizards (87) YA (85) young adult (100)

English (74)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (79)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Tombs of Atuan is very different from A Wizard of Earthsea. It focuses on a young woman who has spent her life cloistered in the tombs of gods who she serves but doesn't know. Just as the reader feels completely miserable at the state of this disillusioned young lady, Ged (who nobody would describe as particularly cheerful or up-beat), arrives and brings with him a much-needed ray of sunshine, even though he spends most of the book under the earth. After Ged's arrival, things start to slowly make more sense to Tenar and it is interesting to watch her well-developed character gradually move from darkness to light.

This is a slow-paced book. There's not a lot of action until the end, but Ged's quest in the tombs is related to the rest of the Earthsea series, so it's valuable in that sense. And, of course, an Ursula Le Guin is always a pleasure to read and this audiobook version is very good. Read more Ursula Le Guin book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I started this book a couple of months ago after completing The Wizard of Earthsea but got sidetracked. I picked it up again this week. I'm glad that I did.
I love the language that LeGuin uses, both simple and complex. LeGuin is a master story teller.
More than half the book passed before I finally got to see Ged, and I was so glad of it. I hadn't realized just how much I'd become attached to the character, and I suppose this may be part of why it was so easy for me to leave this story off when I first started. I recall feeling cheated when the tale began to unfold and there was no Ged. I was not disappointed when he did appear.
Ged has grown and is now advising the young and foolhardy Arha.
I'm moving on to the next in this series and I do not plan on stopping until I am done. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
Loved it. Ursula Le Guin is a master writer and the book just flows of immersive experience. ( )
  aarondesk | Mar 2, 2014 |
Read May 2005
Re-read June 2012

2012 Review:
Not as good as [b:A Wizard of Earthsea|13642|A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)|Ursula K. Le Guin|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1303134026s/13642.jpg|113603] but still a solid fantasy tale.

Definitely a worthy book to keep re-reading every decade or so.

2005 Review:
about Tenar. Ged is a secondary character and plays a small, but important, part at the end. Another tale of Earthsea ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
What a perfect little story! Like poetry. I wonder if she wrote it like this on the first try or if it takes great effort to pare away the unessential and leave the beautiful and powerful setting and symbolism through which the characters wander. Even though it is part of the Earthsea series, it could stand alone as well. ( )
  drardavis | Jul 20, 2013 |
Carol Reich (KLIATT Review, March 1995 (Vol. 29, No. 2))
Le Guin's 1970 fantasy for YAs (part two of the Earthsea Trilogy) has held up well over the decades and remains engaging. Narrative predominates throughout, but during the dialogue Inglis' voiced characters are never confusing to the listener. The three main female voices are acceptably done, the two main male voices are well done, the recording is clear, and Inglis is skilled enough to drop out of character for phrases such as "she said." Between the two of them, Le Guin and Inglis paint a vivid picture of the devious, threatening labyrinth that exists both underneath the temple and within the heart of the High Priestess whom the Wizard Ged rescues from service to the Nameless Ones. This book can stand alone. Category: Fiction Audiobooks. KLIATT Codes: JS*--Exceptional book, recommended for junior and senior high school students. 1994, Recorded Books, 4 tapes, 5.5 hrs.
added by kthomp25 | editKLIATT, Carol Reich (Mar 1, 1995)

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garraty, GailIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Polish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For the redhead from Telluride
"Come home, Tenar!" (prologue)
One high horn shrilled and ceased.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689845367, Mass Market Paperback)

Often compared to Tolkien's Middle-earth or Lewis's Narnia, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea is a stunning fantasy world that grabs quickly at our hearts, pulling us deeply into its imaginary realms. Four books (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, and Tehanu) tell the whole Earthsea cycle--a tale about a reckless, awkward boy named Sparrowhawk who becomes a wizard's apprentice after the wizard reveals Sparrowhawk's true name. The boy comes to realize that his fate may be far more important than he ever dreamed possible. Le Guin challenges her readers to think about the power of language, how in the act of naming the world around us we actually create that world. Teens, especially, will be inspired by the way Le Guin allows her characters to evolve and grow into their own powers.

In this second book of Le Guin's Earthsea series, readers will meet Tenar, a priestess to the "Nameless Ones" who guard the catacombs of the Tombs of Atuan. Only Tenar knows the passageways of this dark labyrinth, and only she can lead the young wizard Sparrowhawk, who stumbles into its maze, to the greatest treasure of all. Will she?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:43 -0400)

Arha's isolated existence as high priestess in the tombs of Atuan is jarred by a thief who seeks a special treasure.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,427,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible