Parasite by Mira Grant

Parasite

by Mira Grant

Series: Parasitology (1)

The Passage by Justin Cronin (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar premise of science/medicine gone wrong and a focus on female protagonist.

The dangers that face the world can, every one of them, be traced back to science. The salvations that may save the world will, every one of them, be traced back to science. - Isaac Asimov

It is the year 2027 and we are introduced to a world were not having a parasite in your system is considered out of the norm. The world over sanitized itself to the point of making humans basically unable to fight off even minor illness. Then entered SymboGen Coporation with their magic parasite pill. The world is seen through the eyes of Sal Mitchell who was rescued from death after a horrible car accident by one of the parasites being put in her. Due to SymboGen saving her she is now subjected to constant tests, therapy sessions, and general poking and prodding from the company SymboGen. Her world is as normal as can be expected when everyone has parasites and you have no memory before six years ago. Suddenly everything changes though with something called the sleeping illness. This, my friends, is where the story begins.

Well sorta.

So first off let me say that I did enjoy this book and it did keep my turning the pages. That said, this is not a zombie book in my eyes. If you are looking for a deliciously gory eat your brains zombie book this is not it folks. In fact not much happened even in the form of violent action from the sleeping illness till I think over half way and then it was sporadic scenes till near the end.

With that out of the way, the characters are good. While Sal did seem a bit unrealistic at times, I didn't mind so much. After all there isn't really a standard for someone who is in her situation, a parasite in a human shell. She even was cute in much of her fumbling newness. In the beginning it seemed the author was trying to hard for the cute but later she just kind of let it develop in its own way and that worked.

The concept as a whole was well executed and, to me at least, very believable. I could actually see a big pharmaceutical company developing something like this and that is actually what drew me to the book in the first place. The company was evil but in the way any money hungry corporate entity is evil. The bad guy was not made ridiculous which was refreshing.

My favorite part of the book was Tansy. Oh my gosh did I love her. Maybe that means I have a twisted mind but she is the reason I almost gave the book four stars. Her antics made me laugh and she is such an out there character but since she is not a main character it isn't overwhelming.

All in all this was a good read, if a predictable one. I would have liked a bit more zombie type action to it but I certainly don't regret picking it up and will be picking up the second one in the series. ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 22, 2016 |
My first read by Mira Grant, she gives us an excellent yet different spin on the zombie apocalypse. (Granted, my experience with true zombie apocalypse stories is pretty sparse.) She delves a bit into the science behind it, but serves it up through the eyes of a relatable and sympathetic main character. Though she suffers from the same "failings" as so many young heroine protagonists for me, the decisions she makes are fairly well justified either through her stream of consciousness or demonstrable through her actions.

Grant also does a pretty good job with the reveal, difficult as this one was to pull off. Surely many readers will have figured out the shocker by the end of the book, but she does an excellent job maintaining the kick to the head by presenting through the eyes and sensibilities of the protagonist.

I want to recommend this excellent read to new authors in particular. It felt nice and solid from both a story and mechanics point of view. ( )
  rencheple | Aug 26, 2016 |
Not very good. Cardboard characters supporting a whiny protagonist rarely appeals to me. The big reveal at the end also came as no surprise since Sal's issue seemed rather obvious early on. Even with the cliff-hanger ending, it's highly unlikely I will bother with the sequel. I've read indie releases with more compelling characters and plot than this.

Cannot recommend. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 23, 2016 |
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Nutshell blurb: In the future, humans live disease-free due to a parasite engineered by a company called SymboGen. Things are hunky-dory until the parasites decide that they want their own lives.

Yes, the premise of this book is excruciatingly gross. The thought of having a parasite living inside of me ON PURPOSE is horrifying. Much less the thought that it could become sentient and want to take over my body.

Hence the reason I HAD to read this book.

Mira Grant does a really great job of painting a hopeful future where things like diabetes or the common cold are things of the past. It’s very rare to find people who haven’t jumped on the parasite bandwagon.

The main character is Sally, a woman who had a nearly fatal car accident and whose family nearly pulled the plug on her life support. She made a miraculous recovery and was the subject of study for the SymboGen corporation as a result.

I’m not going to say anything more about the plot so as to avoid spoilers.

What I will tell you is that I really like Ms. Grant’s style of writing. She’s quirky and she has a knack for adventure and action. I’ve only read two of her books so far (here’s the link to my post on Feed if you’re interested in reading it) and I’ve really enjoyed them.

My problem with this book and the reason that I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that I felt that it was very similar to Feed. They both featured a future that saw us with some sort of disease-preventing technology that’s gone wrong. And the characters were quite similar.

In Parasite, there’s the main character, Sally who seemed remarkably similar to Feed’s Georgia. There’s Sally’s boyfriend, Nathan, who reminded me of Georgia’s brother, Shaun. There’s the plucky side-kick, Tansy who could have easily been related to Feed‘s Buffy.

Even though the Parasite characters were, in many ways, different from their Feed counterparts they still felt connected to me. As I read the parts with them in it, I found myself picturing the characters from Feed. I’ve never experienced that before. It was eerie, although probably unintentionally so. As characterisation is a huge part of what draws me into a novel, I must admit that it was a bit off-putting.

However, the story was gripping enough that it wasn’t a huge issue for me. It was an enjoyable read and I would be up for reading the next one.

Please feel free to visit my book blog: https://storytimewithbuffy.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/parasite/ ( )
1 vote BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
When Jon Grady figures out how to mirror gravity, he hopes to win scientific recognition. However, the Bureau of Technology Control, a government agency, immediately captures him offering him the choice of working for them or being a prisoner. As he resists their recruitment efforts, he finds his existence and the fate of mankind increasingly threatened by the growing control of the BTC. Using plausible scientific advances, Suarez creates a thrilling and dangerous new world.

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Melissa and Rachel.  You are very good sisters.
The recording is crisp enough to look like a Hollywood film, too polished to be real.

A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease.

We owe our good health to a humble parasite -- a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the Intestinal Bodyguard worm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system -- even secretes designer drugs. It's been successful beyond the scientists' wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them.

But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives . . . and will do anything to get them.

"Don't go out alone"
Or else...we all need friends and fam'ly.
Does my tapeworm count?
(pickupsticks)

Genetically engineered tapeworms that protect most of the human populace from illness, boost everyone's immune system, and even secrete designer drugs begin to change and want out of human bodies they occupy.

126 wanted2 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,177,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible