The Paris Lawyer by Sylvie Granotier

The Paris Lawyer (edition 2012)

by Sylvie Granotier, Anne Trager (Translator)

219495,208 (3.72)None
Member:austcrimefiction
Title:The Paris Lawyer
Authors:Sylvie Granotier
Other authors:Anne Trager (Translator)
Info:Le French Book (2012), Kindle Edition, 289 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Crime, European, Review

The Paris Lawyer by Sylvie Granotier

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The story was good, but seemed choppy and I had trouble following some parts. I assume this is because it was translated from french. I would recommend this read, but be prepared that is is not a fast, easy read.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Jun 15, 2014 |
A young attorney from Paris, Cathrine Monsigny is hired by Myriam Villetreix who is accused of killing her elderly white husband and who married her to stop her from being deported. The village this happened in was the same one that that Catherine's mother was murdered in when she was a young child, this has haunted Catherine all her life as she was there when the murder occurred. Catherine soon discovers that she may also be able to solve her mother's murder as well as saving her client.
I enjoyed the author immensely and hope there will be more books translated written by her.

***I received this book from the publisher for an honest review**** ( )
  druidgirl | May 25, 2014 |
Catherine is a young lawyer who has just taken on her first murder case.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get far with this one. Perhaps it was due to the translation, but the narrative and characters were not very engaging. Then every other page was blank (possibly as I was reading an Advanced Reader's Copy), so I felt lost.

Overall, a disappointing start. ( )
  catya77 | May 19, 2014 |
Twisted plot holds it's knots right to the end!

For some reason the colour green of her childhood, of the grass, of emerald eyes, of Cedric Dever's grey green eyes was amongst my first impressions.
The colour green comes to represent the descent from softness and joy into the harsh and uncompromising reality of lost ways, of childhood nightmares, of fear and loss.
Catherine Monsigny's past is shadowed even from herself.
A rising young lawyer looking to make her mark, she takes on a murder case that unwittingly returns her to that lost time. Somehow her current case and the one just prior will merge and cross lines that terrify, intrigue and release forgotten childhood memories.
Catherine's fears of not knowing her way, of having to mark her route for the simplistic of journeys harken back to her childhood trauma.
What does the village of Creuse have to do with her past, her now and her future?
As the story unfolds the complexities woven throughout reflect the layers that unfold as Catherine's story is revealed.
Her pro bono case opens up more than she was prepared for.
There does seem to be an underlying hint that she responds to the attentions of older men.
As an aside French women and their motor scooters continue to fascinate me.
I did not see the ending coming until it did.
A tragic psychological mystery illuminated by the probing inner puzzlements of Catherine. It kept me guessing!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | May 15, 2014 |
The Paris Lawyer is the story of Catherine, a young and rising lawyer who is taking on her first murder trial. She's been in the courtroom a number of times but this is the most important case of her career. An undocumented Gabonese woman married a older French farmer and when he died of arsenic poisoning, the wife is the first suspect.

Catherine has a huge mystery in her own life because her mother was murdered when Catherine was a baby and the murderer has never been found. This was obviously the most influential event in Catherine's life and has driven much of how she has grown up. Her father has consistently refused to talk about her mother and what happened so it has remained a deep dark mystery.

What made this book a bit difficult for me was that so much of it is taken up with what is going on in Catherine's head. I don't mind a psychological mystery but I do need something to happen in the book. I kept wanting to say, "Get on with it!" There is little action until the very end and by that time I knew who the murderer was. I do think there are readers who will love this book and it was very well written. It was just written for a slightly different audience than me.

The Paris Lawyer is a French mystery translated into English. It is an award winner in France and I can say that it is obvious that it is a French mystery written by a French author for a French audience. I love almost anything French. I am a confirmed francophile. But this book had a bit too much of a foreign feel for me as an American reader to thoroughly be comfortable with it.

I received this book from Netgalley. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Dec 3, 2013 |

As a child, she was the only witness to a heinous crime. Now, Catherine Monsigny is an ambitious rookie attorney in Paris, working for a well-known firm. On the side, she does pro bono work and hits the jackpot: a major felony case that could boost her career. A black woman is accused of poisoning her rich farmer husband in a peaceful village in central France, where nothing ever happens. While preparing the case, Catherine's own past comes back with a vengeance. This fast-paced story follows Catherine's determined search for the truth in both her case and her own life. Who can she believe? And can you ever escape from your past? The story twists and turns, combining subtle psychological insight with detailed descriptions of the region.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible