The Paris Lawyer by Sylvie Granotier

The Paris Lawyer (edition 2012)

by Sylvie Granotier, Anne Trager (Translator)

Member:austcrimefiction
Title:The Paris Lawyer
Authors:Sylvie Granotier
Other authors:Anne Trager (Translator)
Info:Le French Book (2012), Kindle Edition, 289 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Crime, European, Review

The Paris Lawyer by Sylvie Granotier

The Paris Lawyer by Sylvie Granotier is a Le French publication released in 2012. I received a copy of this book from the publisher and netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Catherine's mother was murdered when she was child. She was the only witness to the crime. Her father, Doctor Monsigny does what he can to be a good father to her, but mostly the subject of her mother is not broached.

As an adult, Catherine is an attorney. She has just been assigned her first big, high profile, murder case. An African woman has been accused of murdering her French husband with poison.
The crime takes place in the rural community of Cruese.
Creuse is also the area where Catherine's mother was murdered.

As a result, her mother is on Catherine's mind a great deal. While in the area, she wants to see if she can discover something more about her mother. She gets a little help from a local journalist.
Meanwhile, Catherine is beginning to have vivid dreams of her mother and flashbacks of her childhood.

Catherine is also dealing her odd relationship with a former client. She and Cedric have almost an obsessive type of relationship. Hot one minute, cold the next, but they can't seem to stop seeing each other.

As the murder case begins to take shape, Catherine comes into her own as a lawyer. She is steps up to the challenge with confidence.

But her mother's murder continues to haunt her. As she begins to fit together the pieces of what happened to her mother, Catherine climbs up a steep path to a truth that will leave you shocked and horrified.

The author does an incredible job of leading the reader through two murder cases. Catherine is an independent woman that professionally has it together. But, on a personal note, Catherine has an unusual relationship with her father. His insistence on keeping the past in the past has left Catherine feeling like she can't find peace or closure until she has heard more about her mother and about the day she was murdered.

As the author slowly released information to the reader, a real sinister quality takes hold. Catherine is going along with her work, that being her top priority, but with a sneaky suspicion that her lover is not all her appears to be. We begin to worry about who this man is and what are his intentions.
There is thick fog, but at times it clears and we get a glimpse of the truth. Yet, I still remained in denial, because the truth was not something I was ready to accept.
However, in the long run, we know that Catherine had to face facts and as a result she will now be able to move forward with her life as she never would have if the truth had never been revealed.
Catherine is a survivor and she will come through with a clearer picture of herself and finally some peace.
A very atmospheric mystery, the locations vividly described, the characters well drawn and the book was just impossible to put down. The best mystery I've read in a long time.
As always Anne did a great job with the translation from French to English.
A+ ( )
  gpangel | Jan 15, 2015 |
Overall, I enjoyed this book. The story was good, but seemed choppy and I had trouble following some parts. I assume this is because it was translated from french. I would recommend this read, but be prepared that is is not a fast, easy read.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Jun 15, 2014 |
A young attorney from Paris, Cathrine Monsigny is hired by Myriam Villetreix who is accused of killing her elderly white husband and who married her to stop her from being deported. The village this happened in was the same one that that Catherine's mother was murdered in when she was a young child, this has haunted Catherine all her life as she was there when the murder occurred. Catherine soon discovers that she may also be able to solve her mother's murder as well as saving her client.
I enjoyed the author immensely and hope there will be more books translated written by her.

***I received this book from the publisher for an honest review**** ( )
  druidgirl | May 25, 2014 |
Catherine is a young lawyer who has just taken on her first murder case.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get far with this one. Perhaps it was due to the translation, but the narrative and characters were not very engaging. Then every other page was blank (possibly as I was reading an Advanced Reader's Copy), so I felt lost.

Overall, a disappointing start. ( )
  catya77 | May 19, 2014 |
Twisted plot holds it's knots right to the end!

For some reason the colour green of her childhood, of the grass, of emerald eyes, of Cedric Dever's grey green eyes was amongst my first impressions.
The colour green comes to represent the descent from softness and joy into the harsh and uncompromising reality of lost ways, of childhood nightmares, of fear and loss.
Catherine Monsigny's past is shadowed even from herself.
A rising young lawyer looking to make her mark, she takes on a murder case that unwittingly returns her to that lost time. Somehow her current case and the one just prior will merge and cross lines that terrify, intrigue and release forgotten childhood memories.
Catherine's fears of not knowing her way, of having to mark her route for the simplistic of journeys harken back to her childhood trauma.
What does the village of Creuse have to do with her past, her now and her future?
As the story unfolds the complexities woven throughout reflect the layers that unfold as Catherine's story is revealed.
Her pro bono case opens up more than she was prepared for.
There does seem to be an underlying hint that she responds to the attentions of older men.
As an aside French women and their motor scooters continue to fascinate me.
I did not see the ending coming until it did.
A tragic psychological mystery illuminated by the probing inner puzzlements of Catherine. It kept me guessing!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | May 15, 2014 |

As a child, she was the only witness to a heinous crime. Now, Catherine Monsigny is an ambitious rookie attorney in Paris, working for a well-known firm. On the side, she does pro bono work and hits the jackpot: a major felony case that could boost her career. A black woman is accused of poisoning her rich farmer husband in a peaceful village in central France, where nothing ever happens. While preparing the case, Catherine's own past comes back with a vengeance. This fast-paced story follows Catherine's determined search for the truth in both her case and her own life. Who can she believe? And can you ever escape from your past? The story twists and turns, combining subtle psychological insight with detailed descriptions of the region.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,711,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible