The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

The Last Runaway (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Last Runaway
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Dutton Adult (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier (2013)

English (70)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (80)
Gave up at p. 70. I've loved other works by Chevalier, but this just wasn't working for me. I wasn't learning any history, and I wasn't feeling empathy for any of the characters.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This is a great story! The characters are easy to connect with, and the scene is so well described that you are there with them right from the start. The ending was better than I anticipated. Highly recommended! ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
The Last Runaway– Tracey Chevalier
4 stars

Young, Quaker, Honor Bright, is an unlikely immigrant. Her sister, Grace, was the adventurous one. But, within days of their arrival, Grace is dead of yellow fever. Honor is awkwardly forced into a dependent position with her sister’s former fiancé. She is thrust into a strange new American life and the realities of the slave trade in the divided United States. As she struggles with the limits of her situation, she also grapples with her conscience and tries desperately to maintain her spiritual center.

For the most part I enjoyed this book and its picture of the Quaker community in 19th century Ohio. I liked Honor’s interactions with the non-Quaker characters who formed part of the Underground Railroad. In most histories, Quakers are depicted as heroes of the abolitionist movement. It was interesting to see Quaker characters portrayed as individuals motivated by self-interest rather than conscience. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the different quilting and hat making techniques that form the background of so much of the story’s action.

The story fell flat for me when it came to Honor’s love life. Although, I could believe that the religious community could easily back her into a marriage of convenience, I did not find the sexual content of the ‘courtship’ to be likely. I was also unconvinced by her relationship to the villain of the story. The book’s ending allowed Honor to maintain her dignity and her values, but I felt it was a bit too neatly tied up with a bow. ( )
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Stigla je iz Engleske u Ameriku,ostala sama da se snalazi,jedino sto je imala je dar za sivanjem prelijepih prekrivaca,sila je kape za americke dame,krila odbjegle robove i bila tajno zaljubljena u lovca na njih...voljela je slatki kukuruz i sirup od javora,hoce li ikada postati jedna od njih ili ce uvjek biti dosljakinja...Trejsine knjige me opcaravaju,uvijek :) ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Very enjoyable book about principles, and the choices people make when life gets in the way of those principles. Many interesting sides: silence, quilting, relationships and antebellum America as seen through the eyes of an immigrant Quaker. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to Catoctin Quaker Camp and Oberlin College: two places that shaped and guided my younger self
She could not go back.

New York Times bestselling author of Girl With a Pearl Earring Tracy Chevalier makes her first fictional foray into the American past in The Last Runaway, bringing to life the Underground Railroad and illuminating the principles, passions and realities that fueled this extraordinary freedom movement.

In New York Times bestselling author Tracy Chevalier’s newest historical saga, she introduces Honor Bright, a modest English Quaker who moves to Ohio in 1850, only to find herself alienated and alone in a strange land. Sick from the moment she leaves England, and fleeing personal disappointment, she is forced by family tragedy to rely on strangers in a harsh, unfamiliar landscape.

Nineteenth-century America is practical, precarious, and unsentimental, and scarred by the continuing injustice of slavery. In her new home Honor discovers that principles count for little, even within a religious community meant to be committed to human equality.

However, drawn into the clandestine activities of the Underground Railroad, a network helping runaway slaves escape to freedom, Honor befriends two surprising women who embody the remarkable power of defiance. Eventually she must decide if she too can act on what she believes in, whatever the personal costs.

A powerful journey brimming with color and drama, The Last Runaway is Tracy Chevalier’s vivid engagement with an iconic part of American history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

Forced to leave England and struggling with illness in the wake of a family tragedy, Quaker Honor Bright is forced to rely on strangers in the harsh landscape of 1850 Ohio and is compelled to join the Underground Railroad network to help runaway slaves escape to freedom.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,872,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible