The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

The Last Runaway (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Last Runaway
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Dutton Adult (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier (2013)

English (75)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (85)
I enjoyed the way this book was written. The Last Runaway chronicles the life of a Quaker named Honor Bright. She has left England with her sister who is to marry a man in America. Honor has just lost the man she was supposed to marry and feels she needs to make a change. So she decides to go with her sister to America.

The story starts with the voyage over the ocean. Honor writes letters to family and friends. I enjoyed reading the letters because it was like getting a closer glimpse into the Quaker way of life and Honor's past.

I am really glad our book club read this book. This is one I may not have picked up to read otherwise. ( )
  crazy4reading | Mar 15, 2017 |
Reviewed in The first day, Vol. 1, Issue 1, Fall 2013, p.30, Friends Journal, November 2013, p. 26
  BirmFrdsMtg | Feb 5, 2017 |
I always find this author satisfying. She introduces us to different historical settings, so the reader is both informed and entertained.
This time we meet Honor and Grace Bright as they set off on a voyage to the United States from England in the mid 19th century. They are members of the Quaker religion. Grace is joining her fiance and Honor is accompanying her sister after being jilted. When Grace succumbs to yellow fever en route, Honor receives a mixed reception and struggles to feel at ease amongst strangers with whom she finds little common ground. She becomes aware of the underground railway the name for the escape route for the runaway African-American slaves. Part of the Quaker philosophy is that all men are equal and she sets out to assist these persecuted people which brings her into conflict with others in the community.
Another strong element in the story is Honor's skill with needle and thread and the tradition of handmade quilts. This engendered a need in this reader to once again return to a handcraft I haven't done for many years ( )
  HelenBaker | Jan 29, 2017 |
A book to be carried about the house as one slowly walks, reading at every possible spare moment until it is all finished. There are strong characters (I especially like Belle), though many are never fleshed out, and the book somehow felt as if it didn't want to delve very deeply into slavery despite its subject matter. After having read Chevalier's other books I can't help but notice a pattern regarding marriage--reasons for marriage and atmosphere after marriage seem to be very similar in all of her stories. I find myself hoping that with her next book she will break this pattern and write about a marriage that is a bit happier if she writes about marriage at all. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
2.5 stars
This was not my favorite book of Tracy Chevalier. Her method of doling out historical research was a bit heavy handed. The story didn't really flow and everything felt a bit forced. By the end of the story I felt like she had abandoned most of her characters, with the exception of Honor Bright, and those remaining were only wisps of their former selves. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to Catoctin Quaker Camp and Oberlin College: two places that shaped and guided my younger self
She could not go back.

New York Times bestselling author of Girl With a Pearl Earring Tracy Chevalier makes her first fictional foray into the American past in The Last Runaway, bringing to life the Underground Railroad and illuminating the principles, passions and realities that fueled this extraordinary freedom movement.

In New York Times bestselling author Tracy Chevalier’s newest historical saga, she introduces Honor Bright, a modest English Quaker who moves to Ohio in 1850, only to find herself alienated and alone in a strange land. Sick from the moment she leaves England, and fleeing personal disappointment, she is forced by family tragedy to rely on strangers in a harsh, unfamiliar landscape.

Nineteenth-century America is practical, precarious, and unsentimental, and scarred by the continuing injustice of slavery. In her new home Honor discovers that principles count for little, even within a religious community meant to be committed to human equality.

However, drawn into the clandestine activities of the Underground Railroad, a network helping runaway slaves escape to freedom, Honor befriends two surprising women who embody the remarkable power of defiance. Eventually she must decide if she too can act on what she believes in, whatever the personal costs.

A powerful journey brimming with color and drama, The Last Runaway is Tracy Chevalier’s vivid engagement with an iconic part of American history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

Forced to leave England and struggling with illness in the wake of a family tragedy, Quaker Honor Bright is forced to rely on strangers in the harsh landscape of 1850 Ohio and is compelled to join the Underground Railroad network to help runaway slaves escape to freedom.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible