The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (edition 2012)

by Rhys Bowen

Member:lilkim714
Title:The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Authors:Rhys Bowen
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Loved
Tags:Royal Spyness mystery, historical mystery, England, murder, accidents, death, Christmas, romance, cozy mystery, library

The Twelve Clues Of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

English (30)  Piratical (1)  All languages (31)

Well, I know what the title is, and I'm waiting for the clues..... and all these people are dying.... Oh I can be slow when I'm reading for pleasure & not trying to figure things out! LOL!

But I'm not going to tell you, because that will be a spoiler......

So, back to the premise: Lady Georgiana has just become 35th in line to the throne (she was 34th). Her obnoxious sister-in-law has had a baby and has begged Georgie to stay... But then Fig's mum (very much more obnoxious) has arrived and is just a dreadful person & ruder (if possible) to Georgie. To make matters worse Fig's sister & family are about to descend upon Castle Rannoch as well.

Georgie wants to go back to London and stay in the family home, but Fig & her mother forbid it, stating it costs too much.... Georgie's brother, Bertie, has just agreed to take Georgie w/ him to London, when Georgie sees an ad in the local paper for a "helper" at a Grand Country Holiday party.

Georgie lands the position & upon arriving there is a murder...... Add in Darcy (Is that his name), her Grandad, her Mother, Queenie (the incompetent maid), and Noel Coward.......

This was a pleasant enough story, like I said, I wasn't really paying attention to the title, so I missed the correlation to the action. I read this in less than two hours and was pleased with the ending. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Simply a fun read. I continue to enjoy the characters, plots, and relationships in this series. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
A fun Christmas mystery. I always enjoy this series and as silly as they might be the stories aren't predictable.
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Georgiana is one again at loose ends for Christmas. spending it babysitting her sister-in-law's relatives at Castle Rannoch is out of the question, but she has no money to go anywhere else. o when she stumbles upon an advertisement looking for a "young lady of breeding" to help entertain house guests in a charming village in Dorset, she jumps at the chance. The house guests turn out to be paying guests, but the hostess is a charming woman, the food & accommodations are lovely and isn't it just wonderful that this charming woman is Georgie's love Darcy's aunt? Plus it turns out that Georgie's mother is staying in the village with Noel Coward who is writing a play for her and her grandfather is also on hand with his lady friend as servants of all work for her mother's establishment.

Of course, bodies have to start showing up and they do almost immediately - 12 of them in all (Get it?) The plot & the sleuthing are mostly preposterous, but the descriptions of old-time British Christmas customs and food (with recipes in the back of the book) makes this a fun piece of holiday fluff. And as an added Christmas present, it looks like things are coming to a happy conclusion for Georgiana and Darcy's relationship. A fun, quick read for when you don't want to think too much. ( )
  etxgardener | Jan 7, 2016 |
I'm getting more of my review backlog out of the way, because, one way or another, I plan on starting the new year with a clean slate. I'd like to leave anything I haven't reviewed by then behind.

Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie (aka “Georgie”) doesn't want to spend Christmas with family members who don't really want her around, and she's been forbidden from going to visit her commoner grandfather and spending the time with him. When she spots an ad for a position as hostess at a party in a little village, she jumps at the chance for a more enjoyable Christmas. Everything seems to be going well, except Georgie keeps hearing about apparently random and accidental deaths. She can't shake the thought that there's something sinister behind it all.

This is another audiobook I bought during a recent Audible sale, and I can happily say I didn't regret the purchase. Katherine Kellgren does such a wonderful job with the narration that I'm considering getting another book in the series using one of my precious credits. I particularly liked the way she voiced Georgie (which is good, since Georgie is the narrator) and Darcy. I had been worried, because The Twelve Clues of Christmas is the sixth book in Bowen's Royal Spyness series, and I had only ever read the first. I was able to follow along pretty well, although I'd still like to go back and read books 2 through 5 at some point.

I listened to this book at this particular time of the year because I figured it fit. There was the Christmas party, a few traditions I knew about (caroling, presents, mistletoe, etc.), and a few I didn't (the yule log, the little charms). But this was a mystery, so there was also death. Lots and lots of death. Like, enough for several books. It got to the point where I stopped keeping count of the number of people who had died, and the pattern, once Georgie figured it out, seemed a bit ridiculous. Still, it was an enjoyable mystery, and I particularly liked the character interactions that went along with it all.

I vaguely remembered that, in the first book, Georgie and Darcy had had a lot of chemistry, but various things had kept them from becoming an actual couple. I was worried that this book would continue in that vein, to the point that I cheated and checked the descriptions of the later books. Georgie fretted about the status of her relationship with Darcy (wouldn't a guy who liked her keep more in touch with her?). And when things started to go really well, she fretted over the fact that they couldn't legally marry, what with their differing religions and her being thirty-somethingth in line for the throne.

Georgie's grandfather and mother were both around, as was a huge cast of characters I couldn't really keep straight very well. It all made for nice, fun listening, although there was a bit of a darker edge (beyond all the deaths) – hints of World War II on the horizon.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 25, 2015 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my father,
Frank Newcombe Lee,
whose family came from Devonshire,
not far from Tiddleton-under-Lovey
And this book is also dedicated to Sandra Sechrest, who lent her name to one of the characters in this story. (Acknowledgements)
Ah, Christmas: chestnuts roasting; Yule logs crackling merrily; tables groaning under roast goose, turkey, mince pies and flaming plum puddings; carols and mistletoe; goodwill to all men.

She may be thirty-fifth in line for the throne, but Lady Georgiana Rannoch cannot wait to ring in the new year—before a Christmas killer wrings another neck…

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me—well, actually, my true love, Darcy O’Mara, is spending a feliz navidad tramping around South America. Meanwhile, Mummy is holed up in a tiny village called Tiddleton-under-Lovey with that droll Noel Coward! And I’m snowed in at Castle Rannoch with my bumbling brother, Binky, and sourpuss sister-in-law, Fig.

So it’s a miracle when I contrive to land a position as hostess to a posh holiday party in Tiddleton. The village is like something out of A Christmas Carol! But no sooner have I arrived than a neighborhood nuisance, a fellow named Freddie falls out of a tree, dead…. Dickensian, indeed.

Freddie’s merely a stocking stuffer. On my second day in town, another so-called accident turns up another mincemeat pie—and yet another on my third. The village is buzzing that a recent prison break could have something to do with it… that, or a long-standing witch’s curse. I’m not so sure. But after Darcy shows up beneath the mistletoe, anything could be possible in this wicked wonderland.
[retrieved 11/27/12 from Amazon.com]

Begins December 14, 1933.
"Free bonus: An English Christmas Companion" cover. Includes recipes, games and descriptions of English Christmas customs.

While serving as an assistant to the hostess of a large Christmas house party in Tiddleton-under-Lovey, Georgie gets the attention of her retired detective grandfather after dead bodies begin showing up.

19 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,146,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible