The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (edition 2012)

by Rhys Bowen

Member:lilkim714
Title:The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Authors:Rhys Bowen
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Loved
Tags:Royal Spyness mystery, historical mystery, England, murder, accidents, death, Christmas, romance, cozy mystery, library

The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

A very enjoyable Christmas 'read' that I didn't finish till after the New Year. I recently saw where Rhys Bowen said that she felt she had found the perfect reader for her Lady Georgiana series in Katherine Kellgren, and I would definitely agree. Each character's voice and accent is different so there is never confusion about who's speaking. I've read the first two books in this series but skipped ahead to have a Christmas mystery to listen to during the season. That wasn't a problem. The setting of 1930s England (before the death of George V and the subsequent drama, though I expect and hope those will turn up in subsequent books) is well-drawn, there is plenty of humor, and yet murder is not taken lightly. I felt a little foolish when Georgie discovered the link among all the crimes, but that means it was a good mystery. Recommended for Anglophiles and lovers of humorous mysteries with a bit of romance. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jan 13, 2014 |
Georgie is getting paid to be at a house party in the country, and as soon as she arrives before Christmas, local townspeople are dying, one a day from some sort accident or illness. Everyone thinks it's a coincidence, but Georgie is convinced someone is diabolically killing them off one by one. Not as good as some of the others in the series, but I enjoyed it on audiobook, and Darcy is conveniently on hand as well - with some new developments in their relationship. Mother, Gran and ... Noel Coward are nearby too. I thought the way she fit the murders in with a well known Christmas Carol was very clever! ( )
  ktleyed | Jan 2, 2014 |
I just finished two Christmas "cozy" mysteries. Enjoyed this one much more that the other. Just a fairly light, pleasant read. Had a very cozy English village with lots of Christmas-y events (not just a mystery set at a holiday which actually has no real tie-in with the holiday- - those always make me feel that I just fell for a marketing ploy.) ( )
  afinch11 | Dec 20, 2013 |
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
The Twelve Clues Of Christmas is the 6th book in the Royal Spyness series.

Things couldn't look bleaker for Lady Georgiana Rannoch, thirty fourth in line for throne. The cold winds are blowing across the moors, she over hears her sister in law, Fig, being told by Figs mother she just has to find somebody to marry Georgiana and take her off the family's hands. Fig's sister and her family will also be spending the holiday at Rannoch. Georgiana had spent some time in Nice with these obnoxious people. And the worse thing of all is that Georgiana is completely without funds.

So when things seemed the darkest, she sees at advertisement for a job to assist a hostess with a large Christmas party that Lady Hawse-Gorzley is having. The best thing of all is that the home is in Tiddleton-under-Lovey, the same quaint village that her mother will be staying in with Noel Coward.

As Georgiana is arriving at Lady Hawse-Gorzley home, the local constables are just leaving and she begins to second guess herself. The neighbor has fallen out of a tree and has died from a gunshot wound. Soon the a spinster in town is found dead, a local jeweler is robbed, telephone operator dies in a fire and a local butcher dies delivering the Christmas goose to Lady H-G home. there are a couple more, too, none of which appear to be murders, but then this is a lot of deaths for a small village. The constables want to lay the blame on the recent escaped convicts from the Dartmoor prison break. Georgiana and Darcy don't believe so. So they, with the help of Georgiana's granddad they start to put the clues together track down the killer.

It's always a joy to spend time with Lady Georgiana and this book is no exception. Rhys has very skillfully woven a bit of Christmas' past into this story. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my father,
Frank Newcombe Lee,
whose family came from Devonshire,
not far from Tiddleton-under-Lovey
And this book is also dedicated to Sandra Sechrest, who lent her name to one of the characters in this story. (Acknowledgements)
Ah, Christmas: chestnuts roasting; Yule logs crackling merrily; tables groaning under roast goose, turkey, mince pies and flaming plum puddings; carols and mistletoe; goodwill to all men.

She may be thirty-fifth in line for the throne, but Lady Georgiana Rannoch cannot wait to ring in the new year—before a Christmas killer wrings another neck…

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me—well, actually, my true love, Darcy O’Mara, is spending a feliz navidad tramping around South America. Meanwhile, Mummy is holed up in a tiny village called Tiddleton-under-Lovey with that droll Noel Coward! And I’m snowed in at Castle Rannoch with my bumbling brother, Binky, and sourpuss sister-in-law, Fig.

So it’s a miracle when I contrive to land a position as hostess to a posh holiday party in Tiddleton. The village is like something out of A Christmas Carol! But no sooner have I arrived than a neighborhood nuisance, a fellow named Freddie falls out of a tree, dead…. Dickensian, indeed.

Freddie’s merely a stocking stuffer. On my second day in town, another so-called accident turns up another mincemeat pie—and yet another on my third. The village is buzzing that a recent prison break could have something to do with it… that, or a long-standing witch’s curse. I’m not so sure. But after Darcy shows up beneath the mistletoe, anything could be possible in this wicked wonderland.
[retrieved 11/27/12 from Amazon.com]

Begins December 14, 1933.
"Free bonus: An English Christmas Companion" cover. Includes recipes, games and descriptions of English Christmas customs.

While serving as an assistant to the hostess of a large Christmas house party in Tiddleton-under-Lovey, Georgie gets the attention of her retired detective grandfather after dead bodies begin showing up.

86 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,254,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible