The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (edition 2012)

by Rhys Bowen

Member:lilkim714
Title:The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Authors:Rhys Bowen
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Loved
Tags:Royal Spyness mystery, historical mystery, England, murder, accidents, death, Christmas, romance, cozy mystery, library

The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

English (25)  Piratical (1)  All languages (26)
The Twelve Clues Of Christmas is the 6th book in the Royal Spyness series.

Things couldn't look bleaker for Lady Georgiana Rannoch, thirty fourth in line for throne. The cold winds are blowing across the moors, she over hears her sister in law, Fig, being told by Figs mother she just has to find somebody to marry Georgiana and take her off the family's hands. Fig's sister and her family will also be spending the holiday at Rannoch. Georgiana had spent some time in Nice with these obnoxious people. And the worse thing of all is that Georgiana is completely without funds.

So when things seemed the darkest, she sees at advertisement for a job to assist a hostess with a large Christmas party that Lady Hawse-Gorzley is having. The best thing of all is that the home is in Tiddleton-under-Lovey, the same quaint village that her mother will be staying in with Noel Coward.

As Georgiana is arriving at Lady Hawse-Gorzley home, the local constables are just leaving and she begins to second guess herself. The neighbor has fallen out of a tree and has died from a gunshot wound. Soon the a spinster in town is found dead, a local jeweler is robbed, telephone operator dies in a fire and a local butcher dies delivering the Christmas goose to Lady H-G home. there are a couple more, too, none of which appear to be murders, but then this is a lot of deaths for a small village. The constables want to lay the blame on the recent escaped convicts from the Dartmoor prison break. Georgiana and Darcy don't believe so. So they, with the help of Georgiana's granddad they start to put the clues together track down the killer.

It's always a joy to spend time with Lady Georgiana and this book is no exception. Rhys has very skillfully woven a bit of Christmas' past into this story. ( )
  FredYoder | May 10, 2015 |
Some Christmas mysteries simply don't cut it. Instead, this one by Rhys Bowen has raised the bar. The plot was completely implausible, just the way a cozy mystery should be. It was rounded off with lots of English village merriment at a large twelve-day house party in the 1930s. A little shot of romance thrown in to accompany the mistletoe. I've been saving this one and it lived up to my expectations. Very enjoyable. ( )
  VivienneR | Dec 10, 2014 |
Deaths are rampant in Tiddleton under Lovey during the Yule season. Can they be connected? Enter Georgianna, the 35th heir errant to the throne. Not since '"And Then There Were None" have so many passed to support a mystery plot. ( )
  jamespurcell | Oct 7, 2014 |
My god how I love listening to this series. Katherine Kellgren is positively brilliant at bringing to life each and every one of Rhys Bowen`s richly developed characters. The mysteries themselves really aren`t what draws me to this series, it is definitely the characters. This time around Georgie heads out to a picturesque little town and as usual there is a wonderful mix of quirky characters, yummy sounding British food, witty banter and of course MURDER. And this installment has plenty of murder. A wickedly good listen as always - even had a a hard time figuring out who done it this time around. ( )
  mountie9 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Always seeking a good book to read during the holidays, I came across this book and placed it in my rather large stack of potentials. One by one, i returned the other books and this novel by Rhys Bowen remained. This is my first time reading her.
I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. Its a light mystery that took me to another time period, one that does not include all of the modern "conveniences" that are overtaking our world and unfortunately, our spirits too. The novel is set in an ideal town where Christmas is celebrated in an old fashioned manner for the sake of 'guests'. The town begins to suffer a murder, or a near attempt at murder, every day during the Christmas season.
There is no strong focus on gory details, no deep seated psychological abnormalities that twist the readers spirit and soul, but simply a daily event that eventually becomes apparent to our heroine.
The heroine is likeable and fun to get to know, as is her inept servant. There are several characters in the story, but the authors talent makes it not a chore to recall or place each person, while maintaining a simplicity and authentic charm that reinforced my love of Christmas Mysteries.
I will certainly seek out another novel by Ms. Bowen, and will suggest her to my friends as a writer who spins a believable, charming, and suspenseful yarn with such ease that she makes it impossible to accept mediocrity again.
Thank you Rhys. And well done! ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my father,
Frank Newcombe Lee,
whose family came from Devonshire,
not far from Tiddleton-under-Lovey
And this book is also dedicated to Sandra Sechrest, who lent her name to one of the characters in this story. (Acknowledgements)
Ah, Christmas: chestnuts roasting; Yule logs crackling merrily; tables groaning under roast goose, turkey, mince pies and flaming plum puddings; carols and mistletoe; goodwill to all men.

She may be thirty-fifth in line for the throne, but Lady Georgiana Rannoch cannot wait to ring in the new year—before a Christmas killer wrings another neck…

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me—well, actually, my true love, Darcy O’Mara, is spending a feliz navidad tramping around South America. Meanwhile, Mummy is holed up in a tiny village called Tiddleton-under-Lovey with that droll Noel Coward! And I’m snowed in at Castle Rannoch with my bumbling brother, Binky, and sourpuss sister-in-law, Fig.

So it’s a miracle when I contrive to land a position as hostess to a posh holiday party in Tiddleton. The village is like something out of A Christmas Carol! But no sooner have I arrived than a neighborhood nuisance, a fellow named Freddie falls out of a tree, dead…. Dickensian, indeed.

Freddie’s merely a stocking stuffer. On my second day in town, another so-called accident turns up another mincemeat pie—and yet another on my third. The village is buzzing that a recent prison break could have something to do with it… that, or a long-standing witch’s curse. I’m not so sure. But after Darcy shows up beneath the mistletoe, anything could be possible in this wicked wonderland.
[retrieved 11/27/12 from Amazon.com]

Begins December 14, 1933.
"Free bonus: An English Christmas Companion" cover. Includes recipes, games and descriptions of English Christmas customs.

While serving as an assistant to the hostess of a large Christmas house party in Tiddleton-under-Lovey, Georgie gets the attention of her retired detective grandfather after dead bodies begin showing up.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible