The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (edition 2012)

by Rhys Bowen

Member:lilkim714
Title:The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Authors:Rhys Bowen
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Loved
Tags:Royal Spyness mystery, historical mystery, England, murder, accidents, death, Christmas, romance, cozy mystery, library

The Twelve Clues Of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

English (32)  Piratical (1)  All languages (33)
I loved this Xmas story at Rannoch Castle- tons of fun! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Clever murder mystery. Great setting in Devon during Christmas. Fun little series. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |

Well, I know what the title is, and I'm waiting for the clues..... and all these people are dying.... Oh I can be slow when I'm reading for pleasure & not trying to figure things out! LOL!

But I'm not going to tell you, because that will be a spoiler......

So, back to the premise: Lady Georgiana has just become 35th in line to the throne (she was 34th). Her obnoxious sister-in-law has had a baby and has begged Georgie to stay... But then Fig's mum (very much more obnoxious) has arrived and is just a dreadful person & ruder (if possible) to Georgie. To make matters worse Fig's sister & family are about to descend upon Castle Rannoch as well.

Georgie wants to go back to London and stay in the family home, but Fig & her mother forbid it, stating it costs too much.... Georgie's brother, Bertie, has just agreed to take Georgie w/ him to London, when Georgie sees an ad in the local paper for a "helper" at a Grand Country Holiday party.

Georgie lands the position & upon arriving there is a murder...... Add in Darcy (Is that his name), her Grandad, her Mother, Queenie (the incompetent maid), and Noel Coward.......

This was a pleasant enough story, like I said, I wasn't really paying attention to the title, so I missed the correlation to the action. I read this in less than two hours and was pleased with the ending. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Simply a fun read. I continue to enjoy the characters, plots, and relationships in this series. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
A fun Christmas mystery. I always enjoy this series and as silly as they might be the stories aren't predictable.
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

In memory of my father,
Frank Newcombe Lee,
whose family came from Devonshire,
not far from Tiddleton-under-Lovey
And this book is also dedicated to Sandra Sechrest, who lent her name to one of the characters in this story. (Acknowledgements)
Ah, Christmas: chestnuts roasting; Yule logs crackling merrily; tables groaning under roast goose, turkey, mince pies and flaming plum puddings; carols and mistletoe; goodwill to all men.

She may be thirty-fifth in line for the throne, but Lady Georgiana Rannoch cannot wait to ring in the new year—before a Christmas killer wrings another neck…

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me—well, actually, my true love, Darcy O’Mara, is spending a feliz navidad tramping around South America. Meanwhile, Mummy is holed up in a tiny village called Tiddleton-under-Lovey with that droll Noel Coward! And I’m snowed in at Castle Rannoch with my bumbling brother, Binky, and sourpuss sister-in-law, Fig.

So it’s a miracle when I contrive to land a position as hostess to a posh holiday party in Tiddleton. The village is like something out of A Christmas Carol! But no sooner have I arrived than a neighborhood nuisance, a fellow named Freddie falls out of a tree, dead…. Dickensian, indeed.

Freddie’s merely a stocking stuffer. On my second day in town, another so-called accident turns up another mincemeat pie—and yet another on my third. The village is buzzing that a recent prison break could have something to do with it… that, or a long-standing witch’s curse. I’m not so sure. But after Darcy shows up beneath the mistletoe, anything could be possible in this wicked wonderland.
[retrieved 11/27/12 from Amazon.com]

Begins December 14, 1933.
"Free bonus: An English Christmas Companion" cover. Includes recipes, games and descriptions of English Christmas customs.

While serving as an assistant to the hostess of a large Christmas house party in Tiddleton-under-Lovey, Georgie gets the attention of her retired detective grandfather after dead bodies begin showing up.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible