Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow (2013)

by Jenny Milchman

How did I find this? Why did I keep reading?

I found parts of this book actually toxic—the way she portrays relationships between women, the way she portrays women in general, the way she characterizes women by weight. Just no. The second half or more, when it focuses in on police corruption, utterly lost my interest. I’m down for indictments of the cops, think they are important, but the book wholly neglects the larger context of state sanctioned violence and who police corruption usually effects: minorities, POC. It just makes the main character and the book kind of despicable to not even have it float through the book’s consciousness in the age of BLM.

Plus there are the usual flaws—predictability, outlandishness at the level of the plot.

So why did I keep reading...the opening kind of burns. You never think you are in the grips of a great literary novel but maybe of a super rip-snorting narrative. So much dread and mystery. But the lesson here for me and the lesson so often is how near impossible it is to deliver a satisfying resolution to all that suspense. The knowns never are as good as the unknowns. I guess the take away is to work for a stew in which the mystery isn’t totally resolved, leave certain crucial unknowns open.

How does she create the burn at the opening...I have to think more about that. ( )
  wordlikeabell | May 10, 2018 |
(Fiction, Suspense)

Nora Hamilton wakes one winter morning to find that her husband has hanged himself, leaving no note or explanation. When Nora starts asking questions, she is stonewalled at every turn.

I could recognize that this was a well-done suspense tale, although suspense isn’t my favourite genre. I did guess the “villain” of the conspiracy early on and was quite frustrated at how Nora kept missing it.

3½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Feb 8, 2018 |
Set in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State, be prepared to read a lot about snow, driving in snow, getting stuck in snow, putting chains on tires that travel in snow, and bodies buried in snow.
Small town Wedeskyull is run by the police officers who are employed there, one of which is Nora Hamilton's husband Brendan. When Nora awakes one snowy, cold morning, she listens to the usual sounds made by her husband, but this morning, she doesn't smell the coffee or hear the shower running. What she does find is her husband's body strug from a cord with no suicide note.

A close knit set of men, Nora begins to feel that the police force is hiding something. Her marriage seemed to be a good one, and Nora had no portend of what happened.

As the tale unravels, Nora and Ned, the local newspaper reporter discover that all is not well in Wedeskyull. There are too many deaths and too many secrets.

I read this in one day. If you like mysteries, then you will like this one.
  Whisper1 | Nov 28, 2017 |
Nora Hamilton wakes up one morning to find Brendan, her police officer husband, missing. She discovers him hanging, an apparent victim of suicide. She is determined to find out why he chose to end his life without any warning. Her mother-in-law is pure evil and the rest of the town, including the police, seem to be withholding any information she needs for her own investigation. It's not long before she realizes she knew nothing about her husband.

I didn't care much for this book, but that is often the case with a debut author's first book. I liked the premise and some of the cliffhanger aspects to build tension. I felt like there were some dangling loose ends and I wondered what happened to some of the characters that just disappeared. Overall, while it wasn't my favorite book this month, I would give the author a second try to see if she's improved between books.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
This is a decent debut that suffers from a lack of originality and likable characters. On the former front, it doesn't take long to pick up on the fact that the police force in a small, northern New York department seems to have no budget concerns, which makes some things rather obvious rather quickly. On the latter front, the protagonist, Nora Hamilton, is likable enough and proves to be quite capable of investigating her husband's death, but there really isn't much else there, save an autistic man who helps her out; a newspaperman with secrets of his own; and an in-law who is clearly keeping secrets of her own, as well. The rest of the in-laws and pretty much everyone on the police force is questionable on a good day. And the rest of the town? Well, we don't really meet them. At all. In the end, the resolution only reinforces the idea that there really wasn't all that much there to begin with, at least not beyond some crooked cops and a family secret. Milchman clearly has some talent as a writer, but her stories must become more intricate if she hopes to stand out from the crowd. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.

This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Milchman's book Cover of Snow was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible